Discussion: Schiff Takes The Brunt Of GOP's Fury After Mueller Report

Your government, Republicans.

You’re next.

1 Like

I was running out of ideas, could Bailey come up with a response anymore. :frowning:

3 Likes

You did to, you invaded "poo"land…

Don’t you start your -> shit <- on this thread…

1 Like

I’m up outta here if you’re gonna go on like that. :smile: I grew up with a dad who was addicted to bad puns and the memories are traumatic. I’m triggered!

11 Likes

Okay, I’ll stop - but only because it’s time to head home… :wink:

1 Like

I understand. We’re all older, budweiser.

@playitagainrowlf

2 Likes

Definitely older - IPA lot more often than I used to…

3 Likes

Irish Red a lager dumb shit, but that’s funny. :smiley:

1 Like

All of this is entirely predictable. The only surprise is that the person they’re putting at the head of their enemy list is a white man instead a women or person of color. That’s a real break from their normal approach. Schiff must have really gotten under their skin.

Also, as far as I can tell, everything Schiff said is true. He even stated that the evident conspiracy may not be chargeable. That said, it’s also obvious that Barr’s letter stated things as narrowly as possible, including on the “collusion” side of things. It didn’t even address all the points Mueller was tasked with investigating.

8 Likes

The (((person))) is of a long-suspect ethnicity. So there’s that.

2 Likes

Thanks for the lead. Turns out that the context is interesting and not political at all. It also fits with the idea that Emerson may be referring to or reformulating a known expression. Here’s a short letter explaining it, from the NYT of Oct 15, 1989:

In his review of Alfred Habegger’s ''Henry James and the ‘Woman Business’ ‘’ (Sept. 24), Wayne C. Booth says he is reminded of ''the advice a teacher once gave to William James, after he had ‘refuted’ Plato: ‘When you shoot at a king, don’t miss!’ ‘’ It was young Oliver Wendell Holmes, the future Supreme Court justice, who tried to refute Plato, and Ralph Waldo Emerson who answered, ‘‘When you strike at a king, you must kill him.’’

• SHELDON M. NOVICK South Strafford, Vt.
2 Likes

Hmmm, street tacos with cilantro…

5 Likes

It’s as if everyone thinks this letter was his fairy godmother’s magic wand and he’s Cinderella all of sudden. Now he’s sane and fit for office? Now everybody loves him?

No, nothing changed.

15 Likes

You’re absolutely right, there was no finding of collusion. Because there is no crime of collusion - it DOES NOT EXIST IN OUR LAWS. So there could be no finding of a violation of a law that does not exist. Disagree, site the law which defines “collusion.” Dumbasses fall for Trump’s bullshit lies once again. Go play at Red State “nick.” Dope.

1 Like

Following Trump’s victory in 2016, Dems had 2 choices as to why it occurred: 1) Look at their own policies to determine if they might be a problem or 2) blame the Russians.

Dems decided to blame the Russians.

Yeah, but nobody does that now in academic writing. It took me about a year to remove it from my automatic mannerisms. I now do a reflexive search-replace to ensure that all are done.

I love the Oxford comma. It’s good enough, it’s right enough, and, gosh darn it, it clarifies matters.

1 Like

That’s a false binary, a two-valued orientation, black and white thinking, whatever your favorite term is. And a straw man. The “Dems” nominated the candidate who got the most votes in the primaries, but that candidate lost in the Electoral College. The reasons for the loss could be listed by 80 percent of the people here and they’d number more than two, pal. So just stop. Not because you’re insulting my intelligence, but because you’re insulting your own. Trump gleefully accepted help from a hostile foreign government. It’s morally repugnant. We both know this. Just stop.

9 Likes

You went with that one? I would have gone with this one: “When are they going to take an answer for an answer?”

What the what?

You mean like “I thank my parents, Jesus and Lady Gaga”? That kind of saloon brawl? Use the serial comma, people.

Oops! I realized I should clarify that the Oxford comma and the serial comma are the same thing, even though, funnily enough, the Brits tend not to use it.

1 Like

Beyond frustrating, especially when authors use quotations that can only be found on “inspirational” posters or, worse, in one of their prior books. I always write, “Please give the source of this so that the production editor can check the quotation.”

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available