Discussion: Sanders Supporters Secure Permits For Protest Near July Dem Convention

Wish I had thought of this but it applies here I think:

Protestors"If you see the light at the end of the tunnel make sure it’s not a train "

Uniting the party will be the first test of leadership for whomever wins the Democratic nomination. Hopefully they are up to the task.

Hm… it’s wonderful of Sanders to have given so many young people a taste of the 60’s.

Please keep the Sanders supporters from plying them with alcohol beverages! It will only encourage their raunchy “Trump” style behavior!

“He’s over there.”

“SPLITTER!!!”

2 Likes

I know. Need to be optimistic. Hope he will turn it around when bubble bursts. His followers will need some way to deal with heartbreak and anger.

1 Like

Many (most) of us are Democrats who’ve been active for years. Thus.

2 Likes

“This is the Best. Candidate. EVERRRRRR.”

There are no words.

THIS. Of course emotions intensify at this stage of any campaigns. That’s a given. It doesn’t follow that therefore this primary cycle is similar to the one in 2008.

What to compare here is not such hard, intense feelings. What fundamentally separates this cycle from eight years ago is that one campaign is more than willing to delegitimize the entire rules and process of the party in the name of “democracy” and to delegitimize the nominee coming out of that process. It’s that his supporters follow the candidate’s lead and plan protest events to delegitimize the nomination.

That’s what separates this cycle from 2008. Technicality aside, we expect conventions to be a prime kick-off opportunity to unify behind the nominee and show it to a larger audience nationwide. And people from inside plan to protest it for full four days. Did that happen in 2008? I don’t remember.

And those protestors’ leader (a professional protestor himself) has put himself in a position where he couldn’t act to discourage such protests without delegitimizing himself, but not discouraging them also delegitimizes him in the eye of his Dem colleagues in the Senate where this guy will go back to. A nearly impossible task – and inevitably lotta double-talk follows. No doubt there will be a lot more zig-zags ahead than 2008.

“We are marching. If you’re planning on coming here with violence in mind, we don’t want you,” he said."

and how, exactly, does he plan to control them? get a bunch of very passionate people together, and some of them will not be able to control themselves, it’s how humans work. go, protest, exercise your 1A rights, but don’t be assholes about it.

This is the moment for Sanders to be a statesman and explain to his supporters how a democracy works. It is time for him to be magnanimous and offer Clinton his full support. Granted his supporters are young and passionate and that is a good thing. But, now they are bent on throwing a tantrum because things didn’t go their way. What is more important than anything is that there is never even a chance of a President Trump. He has a huge group of supporters. If he can work some backroom concessions out of the Clinton campaign, that’s politics, but what he doing now is inciting a disaster. He needs to pack up his ego and work for what is best for the election in November. He came close, but has lost. Will he be a man or a spoiler?

1 Like

If you believe that the Democrats are your enemy than your candidate should have run as a Independent and not run within the Democratic Party. He chose to run within the rules of the Democratic Party and then his people revolted when the rules were applied. That’s nothing but a bunch of inexperienced whiners that fell short. Do you want to see your country with Trump, the NO NOTHING BULLY?

1 Like

They don’t need any help looking bad.

More than anything else, exactly what do they want to protest against? About the nomination stolen from their candidate? About the Democratic party being corrupt and the system being rigged? About the nominee being an establishment whore? Exactly what do they want to accomplish? If they truly care about issues as they claim they do, at this point it is Cleveland that they should be headed for. But apparently that has entirely slipped their mind. Interesting isn’t it?

1 Like

Yes, because in the magical wizard land of Sandalf the Grey, anyone who is not a true believer is a paid troll. You cultists are a laughing stock at this point. Besides, I bet Trump pays you more.

(Just in case – @brooklyndweller is a Hillary supporter…)

I said this a couple of times, but day after day he is beginning to sound like Joe’s brother, whiny Bernie Lieberman.

1 Like

Not conservative persay, they just have no problems with the candidates they support being corporate whores who put the rich and globalists priorities ahead of the working class in America if they get a few bones thrown their way.

What really needs to be done is the creation of a new New Deal coalition within the democratic party because the electoral loses in the 1980’s and the rise of the conservative/corporate bloc of the Democratic party, lead by Bill Clinton is why you have people think the parties are almost the same.

Who on earth mentioned anything about Buffett or the Koch brothers? You’re inferring a motivation that isn’t there.

I’m skeptical of the Roth plans because I see them as having proceeded from an anti-tax ideology rather than from any real cost-benefit analysis. My basic position is that, if you earn income then that income should be subject to taxation, with very few exceptions.

I concede your points about 401k plans, and I should have referred instead to “standard” IRAs in my previous response as the alternative to Roths.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available