Discussion: Sanders' 2020 Ambitions May Be On Shaky Ground Amid Allegations

The issue with Bernie is an overall culture of misogyny in his 2016 campaign which may have enabled some to commit sexual harassment.

You can do better khyber, considering how careful and fact-based your posts usually are. You don’t think there was a ‘culture of misogyny’ in the Clinton campaign? Because a woman was at the top of the ticket all the boys kept their hands to themselves? Her campaign manager Robby Mook was complicit in covering for his friends, threatening to fire female staffers after multiple sexual complaints came to light during Hillary’s campaign. And then there was her ‘faith healer’ who couldn’t keep his hands off of the female staff. Do better. You know this bad boy ‘behavior’ goes on in every campaign.

“The New York Times reported on Friday that Burns Strider, a senior adviser to Hillary Clinton during her 2008 presidential campaign, was kept on the campaign despite allegations of sexual harassment — allegedly at Clinton’s request.”

1 Like

Ms DeMoro encouraged that attitude among her fellow cult members in 2016. It appears that she is unable to learn from experience.

2 Likes

Premise of your argument is flawed: Since they were both dirty it’s okay to elect dirty Bernie now?

We can do much better than that.

2 Likes

That’s whistling past the graveyard thinking.

Don’t think so davey. Maybe it’s those rose colored glasses you’re wearing (not a good look on you).

Gillabrand is already dead. The anger/hatred for her, leading the charge against Sen Franken, is not going away. She even turned on the Clinton’s after they helped her get Hillary’s senate seat. She reminds me of a little too righteous Tipper Gore. Harris is a fraud (see her ties to Mnuchin while AG CA). Warren is the real threat to Bernie. Personally I hope she wins it all as it’s time for a woman president.

Spare me the ‘Bernie bro’ culture BS. We all don’t throw chairs and grope women.

1 Like

So typically male.
A culture of sexism - meh. Sexual assault- no big deal. Unequal pay for women - mountain out of molehills

1 Like

There was no culture of misogyny in the 2016 Clinton campaign, nor was there one in the 2008 campaign. The issues that came up she dealt with in a manner that any major corporation would do so. Bernie has admitted that he did not handle the matter well. This is about Bernie’s campaign, not Hillary’s. I don’t play whataboutism. That’s what you’re doing here.

4 Likes

"If he doesn’t run, there’s a massive void in this country,” said RoseAnn DeMoro, an activist and former executive director of the National Nurses United union, who reiterated her support for Sanders. “The passion in that base goes away. That base evaporates. It doesn’t go to someone else. There would be a void so deep it would go to (President Donald) Trump, I suspect.”

Passion SO deep that if Sander’s doesn’t run that base will go to Trump. That’s telling.

6 Likes

Premise of your argument is flawed: Since they were both dirty it’s okay to elect dirty Bernie now?

What’s flawed is your logic ajm. My ‘premise’ is that ‘both sides’ do it and it should be noted in a fair argument. I never concluded that it’s ‘okay’. That’s you.

1 Like

When you can’t defend your position, indulge in whataboutism.
Plus I thought Bernie was so much purer and better than Hillary. If he is just a run of the mill politician, there are others dime a dozen.

3 Likes

Why does AP hire some of the worst writers around?
For the millionth fucking time, Sanders did not nearly beat Hillary. She won by double digits. She won nine of the ten largest states and barely losing one (Michigan). Most of his delegate count came from low participation, white dominated caucuses. The campaign was effectively over by the end of March.

7 Likes

You’re falling into the ‘manufactured consent’ trap. Add up the claims of sexual misconduct during the campaigns of both parties and I bet they’re about the same. But somehow, in a leap of logic, it’s Bernie’s campaign with the ‘culture of misogyny.’ Right out of Chomsky’s book.

1 Like

Really surprised that there’s some serious smatterings of support here for Bernie running third party. If he does so, Trump likely wins. Period. That will be Bernie’s major legacy, analogous to that of Ralph Nader, who did more harm in running in 2000 than he did good via a career in consumer advocacy.

As for the notion that Bernie’s the only candidate around whom the Left can rally, that’s so ridiculous. Elizabeth Warren, to name just one, knows much more about policies addressing inequality and monopolist behavior than Bernie does and would make a far better president.

10 Likes

Look, he’s the one who is under the microscope for stuff he admits he didn’t pay as close attention to as he should have. That’s on him. HRC’s campaigns in 2008/16 had much less controversy on those issues and the important thing is they dealt with those issues through a process. Bernie admitted that he didn’t have that kind of handle on things. That’s what he’s being criticized for and he has to face the heat. To keep saying ‘but Hillary’ only underscores the weakness of your claim and the need to ‘whatabout’ to distract. If Bernie can’t take the heat and handle the scrutiny, he should find another line of work.

13 Likes

This statement jumped out at me. After re-reading it 3-4 times, it occurred to me that it is very ambiguous.

The “it” in “it would go” could either mean the BerneBro base or it could mean the election. I think most of us read it with the first interpretation (because of the way anaphora referencing in English works).

To be fair, I suspect there is a strong probability that this woman meant “the election” in this statement.

But, knowing the fanaticisim of many BernieBros, I cannot ignore the possibility that she actually did mean “anybody but the current Dem candidate.” Which says a lot of bad things about the BernieBros, if that’s so.

T

4 Likes

Bernie would have lost much worse in 2016 if all states did primaries…the disaffected white males that made up his base dominated in caucus states and gave him an outsized result. Women and minorities went strongly for Clinton, and that is the future of the Democratic party…the result will be the same for Bernie this time around, and the other candidates are not going to be as nice as Clinton was (she really went easy on all the competitors).

And, the attitude that “if Bernie isn’t the nominee we’ll just pout and vote for Trump” is just wrong…if it’s Bernie, Trump, and no one else then you’re not really a Democrat or interested in the policies that Democrats are for (or the ones Bernie is for, for that matter). Voting for Trump shouldn’t be a possibility for any of these people, the fact that they are still trying to force Bernie onto us really raises a red flag against Bernie.

6 Likes

“If he doesn’t run, there’s a massive void in this country,” said RoseAnn DeMoro, an activist and former executive director of the National Nurses United union, who reiterated her support for Sanders. “The passion in that base goes away. That base evaporates. It doesn’t go to someone else. There would be a void so deep it would go to (President Donald) Trump, I suspect.”

1 Like

???

1 Like

Listen, I don’t think Sanders is a viable candidate for 2020. But…hello?

2 Likes

To be fair, he eventually release his tax returns…right?

Ahh, the FUCKING New York Times…

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available