Discussion: Republicans Commandeer Hearing On Russian Meddling To Rail Against Leaks

And demonstrating that they are all co-conspirators.

I have never liked the whole nickname thing for politicians. So I liked “Charles E. Schumer” better than “Chuck.” And I liked “Charles E. Grassley, rather than (again)” Chuck," because I’m not on nickname basis with Senator Death Panels.

Which brings me to “Trey” Gowdy. Let’s not pretend that we’re buds, okay. If you insist on first names, I’d just as soon use your given name, which is Harold.

Learn some humility and stop lying, Harold.

1 Like

Thanks! She definitely knows MUCH more than any of us. I’d like to have some idea what she found out from Comey in private last Friday. Anyway, yes, the game is afoot…

Also, with humor comes hope

2 Likes

Thanks, @chelsea530 Hadn’t realized there’s substantially more to that story! Verrrry interesting.

1 Like

Richard Nixon obsessed about the leaks, cementing the idea forever that the cover-up is worse than the crime, and we know how that ended. Apparently the problem then, in the minds of these gentlemen, was that Nixon didn’t go on offense from the start. Never mind the crime, find and hang the leaker – how dare they reveal the wrongdoing!

1 Like

So how did the party of Abraham Lincoln become the party of Benedict Arnold?

1 Like

If you ask Americas if they are concerned about WH leaks or Russian meddling in our national election and how beholden is Donald Trump to Russia, the story about Russia is what the majority of the people are captivated by. The leaks are revealing Trump’s vulnerabilities and republicans genuine concern is that the leaks may lead to Trump being taken down before he signs off on their menu of tax cuts and the dismantling of our social safety net.

1 Like

With all the conflicts and entanglements that each of the Secretaries and special advisors brought to the White House, it’s just a matter of time before their personal conflicts of interest start conflicting with one another. I can hardly wait for Tillerson’s poker to land in DeVos’ fire, or perhaps one of Session’s thumbs snakes its way into the into the Conway’s pie, or some such. Then we’ll find out who the leakers are.

1 Like

They’re only leaking because the treasonous GOP is complicit and won’t protect this nation from enemies foreign or domestic. IOW, the leakers are actually fulfilling their oaths because these GOPutin scum refuse to fulfill theirs.

1 Like

Can’t get ‘em on treason, due to the courts’ interpretation of the term “enemy” in both Constitution and statute.

That said, I think that might well have been part of the thrust of several Dem Reps’ lines of questioning getting Comey and Rogers both on the record in defining Russia as “adversary” in no uncertain terms. (They did, however, steer clear of the term “enemy”.)

1 Like

In case you thought “Trey” Gowdy III was only obsessed in Committee Rooms, here’s a bill he introduced which passed the House, from his wiki:

On March 4, 2014, Gowdy introduced the ENFORCE the Law Act of 2014 (H.R. 4138; 113th Congress) into the House.[30] The bill *would give the United States House of Representatives and the United States Senate both the standing to sue the President of the United States in a federal district court to clarify a federal law (*that is, seek a declaratory judgment) in the event that the executive branch is not enforcing the law. House Republicans argued that the bill was necessary because the Obama Administration refused to enforce the laws. H.R. 4138 has passed the House but has yet to become law.

Gowdy (nè, Harold Watson Gowdy III, son of Harold Watson Gowdy, Jr., MD), in other words, proposed that the Republican House and Senate be allowed to sue Barrack Obama and/or his successors in federal court if he or she “refused to enforce the laws.” Gowdy would not need Judiciary Watch as a resource if Gowdy could sue Obama for not jailing Hillary Clinton.

The Supreme Court used to be housed in the Capitol. It’s a sumptuous, beautiful courtroom–unique. HR 4138 would have merged the Supreme Court into Congress, and out of existence.

He doesn’t care about the truth. He left a Prosecutor’s office to enter politics, unrestrained by requirements to tell the truth.

2 Likes

…GOP lawmakers on the committee seemed primarily concerned that those conversations were ever disclosed in the first place.

Why, how dare you reveal the depths of our corruption!

Henry George of California wrote the 1881 best-seller Progress and Property in which he laid out his case for the land-value tax. Tory Winston Churchill loved the book and referred the the LVT as the “least worst tax”. But in recent years, even the mention of the “L” word in Tory circles could get you ostracized. London real estate was just too hot.

In 1961, the Danes went ahead and adopted an LVT to keep rich Germans from buying up Denmark, especially as a summer house getaway. Nothing happened, except that housing has remained affordable in Danish cities to the middle-class. The market doesn’t force honest taxpayers to compete against Russian oligarchs or Chinese property buyers.

The irony of Trump, who seems to have been involved in helping these people get their assets into US property, is the product of an outlash against global buyers that come in an disrupt local property markets.

Part of the Cameron’s problem, which ultimately ended his career, was the obsession of keeping the LVT discussion off the table. Similarly, watching Gowdy run cover and distract, only emphasizes the problem. If we allow corrupt agents such as oligarchs or “soft budget constraint” exploiters to enter and distort our markets and tax base, most of us suffer. Not only that, it makes the amoral profiteers from such lack of protections or who intentionally assist money-laundering schemes appear as captains of industry or heroes of capitalism. Conceivably, such con artists could even get elected president.

2 Likes

I was hoping at least one Democrat would have asked “Are we talking about Vladimir Putin or his cousin Igor Putin?”

1 Like

With this totally distrustful administration, we need more leaks, not fewer.

Draco Malfoy is at it again His new obsession will be the Clinton Foundation apparently Seems he is dead set on imprisoning the messengers (intelligence folks & journalists) for the longest sentences ever.

1 Like

If bluestatedon is convinced that it’s all a waste of time,

If you’re referring to investigating Trump, I’ve never once said it was a waste of time, and never would. To the contrary, it’s critical to do so because an investigation, even if undermined and weakened by Congressional Republicans, will weaken Trump, not help him. It will serve to incrementally destroy his legitimacy, which among other things will serve to stiffen the spines of Democrats who have to resist his legislative agenda.

My basic point is that there’s a vast difference between an investigation of this nature on one hand, and this GOP-controlled House of Representatives voting in favor of impeachment on the other. In order for impeachment to occur, Trump’s approval among Republican voters is going to have to fall drastically below where it is now for Republican House members—the large majority of whom are in relatively safe districts—to even consider removing him from office. Given the near-absolute epistemic closure of the GOP base—we all know these people are amazingly resistant to external facts—it’s going to require something on the order of a serious business downturn or military catastrophe to significantly cut into Trump’s support among the GOP base. Even if we were in the beginning of a recession right now, it would still take many, many months for the economic effects to first manifest themselves with any seriousness in the lives of Republican voters, and then for them to conclude the recession was not Obama’s fault to begin with. To put it another way, believing that lunatic ignoramuses like Louie Gohmert or Steve King or Virginia Foxx are ever going to vote for impeachment requires a touching faith in their character and belief systems that IMHO isn’t warranted.

Would repeal of the ACA cut into Trump’s support among his base? Sure, but given that a huge percentage of his Republican voters think Obamacare is the worst thing to ever happen to the United States, I don’t think it’s guaranteed that the falloff in his support would be as significant as we think it would logically be. These people are anything but logical—they’re loons marinating 24/7 in paranoid fantasies completely divorced from fact. They’ll disregard what the FBI Director says in open testimony in Congress in favor of believing conspiracy twaddle peddled by Breitbart and Jones and Savage and Levin.

It’s absolutely necessary to resist Trump and Republicans at every turn in Congress, and any investigation will aid the Democrats in being an effective opposition party. All I’m saying is that in the current political dynamic, impeachment is very unlikely. Recapturing Congress changes that dynamic completely.

1 Like

Does anyone at all trust Gowdy? He has wasted millions of our dollars on investigating Benghazi while come up with nothing . His opinions and questions are a waste of time.

1 Like

Trump praised leakers, he encouraged them. He SUBORNED treasonous acts. That is the proper response.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available