Discussion: Rep. Who Zinke Called A Drunk: 'This Is No Kind Of Victory,' But Hopes To Turn Page

Another deck chair cast into the sea.

My worry is that Mick Mulvaney is already stretched pretty thin doing the three jobs Trump has already assigned him. Will he be able to do Zinke’s job, too, after all of Trump’s imaginary friend turn the post down?

Um…not to rain on your parade or anything. But the saying, “En tierra de ciegos, el tuerto es rey,” is from Spain, and may actually be from the Middle Ages. I learned it in elementary school Spanish, along with about 100 other Spanish sayings (refranes). I think it is very cool that a one eyed politician had the sense of humor to use it.

Also, I guess we can add Arizona to the dueling places claiming to have invented or originated the Guayabera. (Along with the duels over who invented the Pina Colada, or the Pisco Sour). But, I am pretty sure it was not Arizona. I do not know who Lew Murphy was, but in Puerto Rico in the early 1970s, there were laws passed that allowed government employees and lawyers appearing in Court to wear Guayaberas instead of suit and tie. Our Governor started appearing in Guayaberas pretty regularly, on his visits and press conferences.

And of course, for awhile at least, it substituted the black (cotton) turtleneck and denim shirt as the hip left wing college professors’ shirt of choice. A lot of my HS teachers used them. The long sleeved ones are very elegant and I have one for more formal Summer events and maybe church.

Let’s see if @cervantes makes an appearance with some research on the origin of the Guayabera (Mexico, Philippines, Cuba). In Puerto Rico in the late 60’s we had a Guayabera manufacturer whose brand was called La Cubanita. It was one of a list of local industries that would receive promotional advertising during the previews at Movie Theaters, urging people to consume local Cheese brand Indulac, local underwear manufacturer GRANA, and others who I do not remember right at this moment. Anyway, I am glad to know that this garment is used in the SW, which was, after all, Spanish before it was part of the US.

1 Like

I am glad Raul Grijalva responded graciously to Ryan Zinke’s assholic ad hominem attack, and to his resignation. But man, just for once…I wished a Democrat (Grijalva) would have let Zinke have it after his resignation was announced for him by Donald Trump. It wouldnt have to be petty or over the top…but I just wish Grijalva had let Zinke have a swift kick in the pants as he exits stage right.

The other thing, the WaPo article on Zinke’s resignation and timing to allow his Christmas Party yesterday, it also says that Zinke harbors political ambitions, which means US Senate and President. It can’t mean anything else.

2 Likes

FYI: Lew Murphy was mayor of Tucson, AZ for several years in the 1970’s and 1980’s as I recall. I have lived in Tucson for 50 years (minus three in Chiapas,Mex). My post was in response to another TPMer also from here and we got to musing of years gone by. And our former governor Jack Williams was known to use the phrase I posted. I suspect as a riff on the fact he had one eye. There was very little beyond that which could be thought of as redeeming about the guy.

2 Likes

“My Native Costume,”
Martín Espada,
circa 1994

5 Likes

Whom. Zinke called him a drunk, not he.

1 Like

I am hoping Don Jr-----------

Oh, I don’t think the good Congressman is quite through with him just yet, as he ascends to his committee chair position. And as the Klingons say, bortaS bIr jablu’DI’ reH QaQqu’ nay.’

1 Like

He’d have to get through a death match with Scott Pruitt, and with any luck, they’d finish each other off.
They certainly fill the same ecological niche.

1 Like

I have 2 guayabera shirts in my closet. For formal occasions. And spell check must need some cultural adaptation skill since t tells me I have misspelled the word.

2 Likes

I’ve made one too. Found that apples work better than potatoes. They never clog the barrel.

While I was reading this, and laughing, I was absolutely 100% certain it was one of Pedro Pietri’s poems. I just looked up Martin Espada (with whom, I admit, I was not familiar, being a poetry illiterate). He is old enough and from Brooklyn, so that as we said as teenagers in PR, if he and Pietri were not great buddies while Pietri was alive, me lo pico. Thank you for posting this. I hope it does not mean you did not weigh in with La Enciclopedia @cervantes’ take on En tierra de ciegos and the origins of La Guayabera.

But if esto fue lo que trajo el barco it was worth it. And I will be content

This reminds me of when I used to post my intemperate comments on Huffington Post, there was a thread after an article about Sandwiches Cubanos some guy who must have thought he was @cervantes was insisting (me porfiaba as we say) that some Italians in Tampa were responsible for this monument of Cuban popular cuisine accomplishment.

The online Cuban (dissident) newspaper 14ymedio.com has weighed in on the Cuban Sandwich and its cousins, La Media Noche and the Helena Ruth in the years since I no longer pululo about on Huffington Post, blurting out my exabruptos. As I drink my cafe con leche.

1 Like

Thanks. It is fine, I enjoyed your post and the implications it has for cross cultural things in politics. When I was young and my Dad was still a career army officer, and we lived on mainland army bases, it always seemed that my parent’s respective native cultures were compartmentalized, even within our family discussions, and definitely far away from our social interactions with Anglo neighbors, classmates, teachers, church folk, etc. The few cross cultural polinations I observed as a child were on I Love Lucy, and the comedian (who we saw on Ed Sullivan) portraying the Puerto Rican stereotype Jose Jimenez. I am sure there were other instances, but I think the next similar experience was when a local American Pop radio station frequently played Jay and the Americans’ Come a Little Bit Closerwhen I was in second or third grade, tops. I saw the comment you were responding to about Lew Murphy (of whom I was totally ignorant) and your comment was most illuminating. I did not mean to criticize your comment and am sorry if my latino nerd trivia comment felt that way. You cannot imagine how happy I was, after arriving home from work, to find a comment about Guayaberas since I lived through an experience apparently similar to yours in Arizona, where the shirt suddenly became popular. Based on my knowledge of Arizona politicians from Paul Laxalt and the folks in The Keating Five scandal and Gov. Jan Brewer and her Papers Please laws etc, I can only imagine some of the political neanderthals that Jack Williams’ came from. In our Junior High Spanish grammar and lit classes, we were made to memorize lists of old Spanish sayings every week, and to complete them on tests. Some of these old sayings have become annoying cliches, but I still think it is cool that Jack Williams could make humor with them. I apologize if my comment offended or felt critical. The picture of the guayabera was most welcome as were your comments on Murphy and Williams. My knowledge of Arizona was limited to my admiration for Connie Hawkins, Alvin Adams, and other Phoenix Suns players in the boxscores of The San Juan Star.

2 Likes

Since Scott Pruitt never did Seal training, and is essentially a dweeb, I do not think he would fare particularly well in any physical confrontation with Zinke and his horse.

2 Likes

The horse is a wild card.

2 Likes

Pruitt’s expensive hand moisturizer is a wild card too.

1 Like

“These people have been subsidized for their entire lives…”

That would be EXXON.

2 Likes

It angers me to no end the way trump goes after Hispanic folks. There is no reason for it. The very first blurt out of his pie hole when announcing his run was to call Mexicans criminals and rapists. I wait for the day he is disgraced in public. I want him indicted. Not out of revenge but rather a reckoning for all the illegal tings he has done.

2 Likes

Being anti Latino probably was genetic, and if not, KKK Fred made sure to indoctrinate it into him at the dinner table every night. As late as the movie Wall St, which I take it was made by PC film makers and actors (the Sheens) the real estate broker enunciated what I am sure was The Daily Bread chez Trump and in Trump’s office at various times in the City rental and coop selling cycles he has surfed, “Nothing is moving these days except roaches and Puerto Ricans.” I am sure he, being a child of the 50-60s, got a steady diet of this stuff, even after West Side Story was a big hit. Oscar Lewis’ La Vida was a huge NYT bestseller in the mid 60s, not because NYers and people across the country decided they just loved to read boring ethnographic life histories, but because it confirmed so many stereotypes, especially about promiscuity, that it was all the rage to have read on the Manhattan Cocktail Party Circuit of its time. But yeah, he is a racist, who, along with the likes of (Calves Like Canteloups) Steve King, fancy themselves as Cultural Warriors in the life and death struggle of pre-feminist, pre-Civil Rights and Voting Rights Act White Males to keep their deathgrip on political power in this country and elsewhere. Even when the rest of the population has moved on.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available