Discussion: Rep. Walker Steps Down From Chaplain Selection Committee After Controversy

Can’t wait for the real story to get out on this situation.

19 Likes

I nominate this guy for the next chaplain.

12 Likes

Gee, Mark, WWJD?

7 Likes

Republicans aren’t Christian, no matter what they claim or how often they attend church.

You can’t spend Monday-Saturday chastising the poor for being poor, refuse to support them, hate on immigrants and so, then show up in Church on Sunday and act like everything is fine.

15 Likes

What a dummy. Like most of the GOP in the House he’s just a dummy.

Take back our country!

Run for office- and run FOR something! Don’t just run against Trump. You’ll either be preaching to the choir or confirming, in some people’s minds, that ‘the elites’ are out to get their man.

Get REAL specific, too. You want to run on jobs or healthcare reform or the new landfill? You must have a plan. Show what’s needed and show how to make it work. THEN point out the differences between having a plan and vague promises to work on a plan “very soon”.

This site, https://www.runforoffice.org/, allows you to enter your ZIP code and see what offices are available to you and the filing window for that office. They also have a few video short-courses on running a campaign. In my state you file for office during a 1-week period in May.

Become a Precinct Committee Officer, sometimes it’s a Ward officer. Meet your neighbors and get out the vote. Find good citizens willing to run for office.

Run for School Board. Make sure Civics is being properly taught. Think a majority of America knows how government works? Just 26% of eligible voters in America voted for Trump, and half of all voters stayed home last November. HALF! Today’s 12-year olds will be voting for President in 6 years. Make sure they’re prepared.

Run for Mayor, City Council, County Commissioner, Borough Assembly. And get on your Planning Commission.

Run for State Legislature or Congress. The next census is in 2020 when we’ll redraw Congressional Districts. Make them fair and open. Trump is ALREADY trying to rig the census- talk about ‘voter fraud’!

Register people to vote. If you need to help people overcome the GOP-led voter-run-around campaign help them do that. This site, https://www.aauw.org/resource/organize-a-voter-registration-drive/, has a how-to on organizing a voter registration drive. Or even sitting outside Wal Mart with a folding chair and a card table. Yes, that’s the American Association of University Women. And while we’re here organize a League of Women Voters chapter in your community if you don’t already have one. Fair, honest and above board. Democracy functions better with them involved.

Civics, civility and civilization all share the same roots.

6 Likes

We are watching the Christianity of the Prosperity Gospel being turned into the American state religion. Pretty soon the private jet pastors will be telling all of us how to pray and why we shouldn’t do anything for the poor. They are already telling us that lying is good and sexual assault is OK if the right powerful man engages in it.

Jesuits need not apply to be chaplains for Republican politicians. They are followers of the historic Jesus not the Joel Osteen/Franklin Graham version.

20 Likes

How can these people be so damned ignorant and stupid??

4 Likes

Baptists v Papists, v10.198!!!

13 Likes

Like Jesus said Mr, Ryan !, @#$#@! the poor !!! …,…don’t encourage them with handouts !

6 Likes

I’m stepping down to spend more time with Oliver Cromwell.

16 Likes

Considering that Congress hardly ever shows up at work (and even then does virtually no work), why would they need so much spiritual and family suport counseling? At most, they are about two days away from being back home with their permanent spiritual support system. Are they such snowflakes that they can’t wander away from home for two days without a chaperone? Besides, a number of snowflaky GOPers like this guy are themselves clergymen (note the use of masculine gender) so they could do a little self-help in their own community. Just sayin’.

10 Likes

As with all things ‘Conservative in the House’ these days, this decision reeks. ‘Pastoral needs’ sounds like ‘dismissed for candor’…Every single one of these cretins will insist they have their OWN pastor that they go to regularly, wave the ‘Christian’ card and then whine that the Chaplain doesn’t meet their needs. Hypocrites.

5 Likes

How can we encourage even more petty squabbling between these self-proclaimed Christians? Each one should be quietly told that their specific sect is getting a raw deal because of backroom dealings by members of other sect, and that only a representative of their sect is acceptable as the next chaplain.

4 Likes

Lincoln was supposed to have said something about Jesus loving the poor very much because he made so many of them. Or maybe Twain, but certainly someone with a soul.

7 Likes

Walker:I’m looking for somebody who has a little age, that has adult children, that kind of can connect with the bulk of the body here

Well they they should get someone that has multiple extra marital affairs, so that he can really connect with the bulk of the body.

13 Likes

What really bothered Chaplain Conroy was that he never saw House members saying hello to people in the halls who weren’t in a position to vote for them. They’d just walk on by, in their own homemade cloud of wonderfulness and ignorance.

8 Likes

“Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.”

They also will answer, “Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?”

He will reply, “Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.”

Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

Matthew 25:41-46

Seems pretty unambiguous.

19 Likes

ronbyers is exactly right, and the “Prosperity Gospel” (the demon spawn of Carnegie’s “Gospel of Wealth”) fits perfectly with the warped civil religion in the paintings by Jon McNaughton that Josh has up on the front page. It is a cult whose belief system is constantly re-enforced through its own internet and media subculture, and is starting to metastasize throughout the body politic.

13 Likes

I must point out that Roman Catholic priests practice celibacy, not chastity. Celibacy is the perpetual renunciation of marriage for the sake of one’s priestly vocation. Chastity just means refraining from sex outside marriage. Theoretically, an unmarried person, whether clergy or laity, is expected to refrain from sexual activity, but we know how that tends to work out.

This article should be read in conjunction with Josh’s piece on the work of Jon McNaughton, the artist who specializes in Christianist hagiography of Trump (and associated portrayals of Obama as the devil incarnate) and has amassed quite a following on the right. Scary times we live in.

14 Likes