Discussion: Rand Paul Says Kim Davis Going Into Custody Is 'Absurd'

Discussion for article #240094

It’s precisely what should happen when one takes an oath to operate under the aegis of the Constitution, Rand. You know… that document that you swear the President is shredding with impunity, but this woman is thumbing her nose at over her religious convictions?

The one that you swore as a Senator to operate under and have failed to do on so many levels that you should be in the cell next to hers?

Yeah, that one.

8 Likes

Rand Paul being quote worthy is absurd.

Loser.

9 Likes

Yup, Deep thoughts from Rand Paul: Just because a couple people on the Supreme Court declare something to be ‘constitutional’ does not make it so.

5 Likes

I think rAynd Paul misunderstands the meaning of absurd. The clerk’s custody is the legal and expected result of her breaking her oath of office to uphold the Constitution while performing her well-paid job.

5 Likes

I think it’s absurd to put someone in jail for exercising their religious liberties…

That’s not what she’s in jail for. She’s in jail for defying a perfectly legal court order.

9 Likes

Out of curiosity, Rand, what crimes are you allowed to get away with and what crimes are you not allowed to get away with, by pleading ‘Religious liberty’? Just who gets to decide? You? A judge? Me? Who gets to say it is absurd? I personally would have liked to see her fined $1K a day rather than jail, but the (Bush-appointed) judge felt otherwise.

1 Like

I guess when you are polling within the margin of error and sinking fast, you start competing for the lowest common denominator of the voter pool available to you. Unctuous little man.

Rand should be thrown in jail with her for openly defying, at least by word, the SC’s order. What about his oath of office as a US Senator to uphold the Constitution? Oh yeah, he mumbled under his breath at the current version (see below) of the oath-taking that he’d uphold what parts he personally agreed with…and chuck the rest!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.”

Aqua-Buddha speaks.

2 Likes

No, Rand, what’s really absurd is that you haven’t been trow in jail for murdering logical thought.

1 Like

So how about I exercise my religious beliefs and start kidnapping divorcees and stoning the adulterers.

2 Likes

I won’t expect a “doctor” to understand the law!

Rand Paul, you patronizing red-meat tossing schlub: You are either truly clueless, hopelessly uninformed, or deliberately disingenuous. She defied the law of the land, a Supreme Court decision and a personally directed lawful order compelling her to do her job, and wantonly chose to discriminate against citizens of Kentucky. THAT’S why she is in jail, even though the plaintiff’s showing more good intention than I would in similar circumstances, asked the judge to sanction her by fine only, not incarceration. You sir, are a fool.

2 Likes

Only because, as the judge correctly observed, her fines would’ve been paid by folks other than her, regardless of the amount set.

Putting her in jail puts the onus on her and her alone.

2 Likes

Rand Paul must be running low on campaign funds and needs to follow the Hucksterbee and raise some $$ from religious rubes, too!

1 Like

“I think it’s absurd to put someone in jail for exercising their religious liberties.”

She is not in jail for exercising her religious liberties. She is in jail for violating a court order to perform her legally mandated employment responsibilities. If her religious convictions prohibit her from doing that, then the only responsible, honorable, and Christian exercise of religious liberty is to resign. Period!

2 Likes

Sad part is, this just fits into the religious persecution narrative. It really does not matter either, she is not carrying out her duties at the state level. The state courts said as much too. And the whole Constitution gives the federal government power and such.

I wonder if these same people will support the religious rights of a sheriff in a deep red state who becomes a Hindu and refuses to issue gun permits or carry and conceal permits because guns/killing go against his conscience? I have a feeling they would sing a different tune.

1 Like

Religious liberty is not a reason to fail to comply with a valid legal edict.