Discussion: Rand Paul: GOP Can Push For Voter ID Laws, Let's Just Not Talk About It

Discussion for article #229651

Shorter Paul to candidates: There’s no good way to dog whistle this issue.

10 Likes

He says he wants more people to vote but he supports laws that decrease voter turn out.

2 Likes

Well then, let’s issue every American a National ID card.

That’d take care of all the BS.

2 Likes

“That which must not be enunciated”

3 Likes

RP: I’m for it and against it.

He’s against talking about it and being associated with it. Because then the blah people will vote against you.

2 Likes

Randroid has a remarkable talent for being accidentally correct on some issues. To be fair, voter ID laws are not bad per se. It’s when they are deliberately written and implemented in a manner that is demonstrably designed to suppress voting activity from certain groups that they are a problem. Enacting them shortly before elections, so people can’t challenge them and can’t get their IDs in time. Making some IDs valid but then prohibiting the use of IDs most likely to be carried by the “wrong voters”, even though those IDs are valid for all sorts of other things (like obtaining food stamps or unemployment). I could invent 100 different voter ID laws that I’d have no fucking problem with…but the GOP/Teatrolls are hellbent on pushing a particular kind of voter ID law that is blatantly designed to help them by hurting minorities, youth voters and the poor. So Randroid is right: it’s pretty stupid for GOPers/Teatrolls to come out an openly admit that they’re enacting voter ID laws that are designed to win them elections, because we know how those laws are meant to achieve that result. The problem is, what Randroid is really saying is “shhhhhhh, stop tipping our hand!!! What are you, stupid? Keep it on the down low!!!”

10 Likes

Twitter Rand Paul is against voter ID.

Fox News Rand Paul supports voter ID.

Meet the Press Rand Paul doesn’t think voter ID should be talked about.

Infowars Rand Paul thinks voter ID is a government conspiracy to bring about the Amero and one-world government.

Do you stand with Rand? (And if so, please be specific about exactly which Rand you stand with.)

10 Likes

Another IQR (In Quiet Rooms) issue for the GOP.

10 Likes

Ein freundlicher sanfter Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei .

In other words what Rand is saying, is yes, he’s for suppressing the vote, but we need to keep it on the downlow. Rand thinks republicans should be more like a thief in the night when stealing Americans right to vote.

7 Likes

For the GOP this is a topic best discussed in quiet rooms.

Edit: Didn’t see NCSteve had already beat me to the quiet room.

3 Likes

You want a Voter ID law? Then pair it with a law that requires the state government to provide a voter ID to all registered voters, free of charge.

5 Likes

D’oh! you beat me to the down low.

As a liberal with some libertarian tendencies, I often find myself thinking that Rand Paul might not be that bad – that he actually shows some evidence of thinking outside of the conservative box. But then here he goes again saying one thing and then contradicting himself almost in the same breath. The question should be: Is there significant voter fraud? And if so, would laws requiring free voter I.D help without being too costly? The closer Sen. Paul gets to running for president, the more indecisive he becomes. There comes a point where even if you agree with someone, you can’t support them if they seem to have no principles. Just ask Mitt Romney.

1 Like

Very interesting comments by Rand, he sure is interesting.

1 Like

Rand, for Christ’s sake, if you’re honestly uncomfortable with how the Republican party has become a nest of nuts, ideologues, and shills for plutocrats, that it has no more redeeming characteristics than a mustachioed cartoon villain, then just become a libertarian Democrat. Nobody with a modicum of integrity can satisfy the idiot base and simultaneously advocate rational policies that will move the nation forward. It can’t be done and you shouldn’t try, if that’s what these tap dances are all about.

1 Like

Seeming racist US Senator who disavowed the Civil Rights Act?
Claims otherwise in pre-election musings.

F^ck you very much Sen Paul.

jw1

3 Likes

Um…that’s what voter REGISTRATION is for, Randy.

1 Like