Discussion: Pope Opens Church Doors To Migrants As Governments Shut Them Out

This entire planet needs to come together to figure out how to handle this era of massive immigration. Thus far, the majority of the world’s migrants have gone elsewhere for economic reasons. Many others for political and religious reasons. The next wave will be 1000X bigger, and that will be the climate refugees. There is no escaping the future. Either we handle the hardships of humanity together, or we end up fighting and killing each other. Pope Francis is establishing hope for humanity. People like T rump give humanity the big F U. I’m not Catholic, but i know which direction i’ll work toward.

5 Likes

OMFG - The Pope is a Christian. How will the religious Reich in this country handle THAT?

3 Likes

Th Gospel of Ayn Rand.

1 Like

This is what so-called “organized” religion should be doing, not supporting Donnie’s evil acts…

3 Likes

Papa Francis lives the Gospels. The RWNJ Tea Party types in this country shout about how faithful and religious they are from the rooftops, yet when they live their everyday lives not one of them cares to feed and cloth the poor or any of the other Corporal Works of Mercy that Jesus outlined. Hypocrites

1 Like

This past weekend a conservative told me that a majority of American Catholics do not support Pope Francis ‘because he’s strayed into politics’. Apparently talking about WWJD (what would Jesus do) is political if it inconveniences the GOP.

To put this into perspective, the last survey I saw on this issue was from the March/April 2018 timeframe and it found that 84% of American Catholics had favorable opinions of the Pope…

2 Likes

In there is a clue. As rancid as this period of time is, it might actually be the start of something different in response. Trump represents the worst of our country. He is the pinnacle of that rot. At the same time by simply being, he is also casting a bright light on that blight across the globe. It kills me to realize the tools we have today to progress. But fools like Trump want to go the other way. History keeps siding with progress, despite it being a painful crawl. It is a shame we can’t bypass the speed bumps that keep popping up.

1 Like

Killing all white supremacists/nationalists would probably be a helpful starting place, but what do I know? They and the entire situation are only going to get worse as the global oligarchy destroys the climate for profit. Expect to see at least one real diaspora in the next decade.

They are absolutely swimming in it because they spend all day in their echo chamber. I personally believe that Faux News populates its KKKomment boards with sockpuppets to help create that sense of “everyone agrees with us” for them, but yeah, that’s a bit tinfoil hatted on my part. Propaganda like the #walkaway fakery is specifically designed to induce this effect.

2 Likes

American Catholicism is very diverse but, to borrow a Unitarian phrase, salvation by character (deeds over creeds) is a pretty big concept. The opposition and suppression of Liberation Theology was a direct attack on the political ramifications of insisting religious values should inform political activism. So no surprise that Pope Francis is not popular in some circles.

But, in spite of the religious right’s long-term project to leverage Catholic anti-abortion sentiment into pro-Republican politics, Tim Kaine is still a more representative model of Catholicism here than is, say, the late Atonin Scalia. E.g. something like 98% of Catholic women in the US have been or are using birth control. The noisy opposition to more liberal values is from the much more conservative power structures, not the population at large. If that sounds familiar, think about the US and its government when Obama was president.

1 Like