Discussion: Poll: Majority Of Republicans Now Say Colleges Are Bad For America

If it wasn’t for colleges - and 11th and 12th grade - I’d be the most educated person in my town.

19 Likes

Gonna be tough to shake that “Stupid Partry” label, right reince!?

8 Likes

Never have so few fucked so much with so many.

The GOP has lost its collective fucking mind.

28 Likes

Sure they do. You just have to have fascist professors. Nothing wrong with our colleges and universities a good, thorough purge and mass book-burning wouldn’t cure.

9 Likes

This definitely isn’t my parents’ country club party.

17 Likes

Nor mine. I can hear my parents - they valued education more than anything else, probably because neither of them were educated. They were not casual about school - I went unless I was provably sick.

Until high school but that’s another story.

15 Likes

This is a long standing attitude held by the far right. Hell, a couple of decades ago when I announced to my ultra-conservative parents I had accepted a college teaching position, my mom’s reaction was, “I would rather you have accepted a position as a garbage man than a college professor.” As far as the current stat flipping regarding higher ed is concerned, I suspect the Trumpian injection of so many of the insane inclinations of the far right into the Republican mainstream has been a primary reason.

22 Likes

Assumes facts not in evidence, that the gop has a mind.

5 Likes

Making America Dumb Again

11 Likes

Ted Cruz
‎@tedcruz

Universities should be a place where you go to get your ideas challenged, to discover hard difficult ideas & to discover what you believe.

2:14 PM - 20 Jun 2017

Unlike town hall meetings held by Republican Senators – special snowflake GOP Senators must be kept in their protective bubbles to prevent them from hearing criticism.

16 Likes

That is a point and I have nothing to dispute it. Nothing at all.

3 Likes

“censorship of free speech” on college campuses

Part of it is from the same blaming-others mentality. They bomb in-class exams, submit stupid term papers, get grades they deserve as a result, and get mad and blame their subsubpar performance on “censorship of free speech.” It’s never because they didn’t work hard enough, it’s never because they didn’t understand the course well, it’s never because the subject matter was not their forte.

16 Likes

Yes, we need more of the likes of Philipp Lenard, as a role model for the “American Physik” movement.

3 Likes

Why does this not surprise me? We have a Secretary of Education intent on keeping everyone outside of the 1 percent in a state of ignorance and unable to compete. Obscene interest rates on Student Loans. College expenses that overwhelm. Necessary classes continually over enrolled. Why? Such people are grateful for any job, any wage. Even Republicans who vote their “values” once appreciated higher education. What is going on?

10 Likes

I’d say this direction (the up direction does indicate a place they so fervently believe in to help their end-of-days fantasies come true.)

)

8 Likes

I think you’re right. There has no been no sea change in attitudes, only what Josh call “The Great Disinhibition.” Wearing greed, envy, and rootless anger on one’s sleeve is not just OK now, it’s required of all true “conservatives.”

16 Likes

Hans Geiger, who invented the Geiger Counter, joined him…

1 Like

Colleges, or at least a college education, is bad for the Republican Party.

10 Likes

LOL. Not surprising. What they’d prefer is that we all be given the Clockwork Orange treatment while being forced to watch Bill Whittle and Alex Jones videos.

10 Likes

Who wants to live or work in a building designed by an architect? Just build it any old way.

Who needs a doctor who has been to medical school? Alchemists, anti-vaxers, and faith healers can be our health providers.

If Trump can be president, then folks can be what ever they want to be - with no training, liscensure, or knowledge of any kind, there is no need for any formal education: College schmallege.

~Angela Merkel-esque eye roll inserted here~

21 Likes