Discussion: Poll: Biden, Sanders Tied In Iowa

So white people get the first choice.

2 Likes

Iā€™m beyond disgusted with the lame campaigns run by most Democrats; they just donā€™t seem to get that the GOP is a dirty, rotten, scurrilous gang of miscreants. The Dems will fall all over themselves to show how good and righteous they are in 2020, but in the end, the dirty, rotten, scurrilous gang will win the White House. Dems always bring a pillow to a knife fight. Biden is a creature of the establishment and he will do nothing to ā€œrock the boatā€ on health care, student loans, climate change. To him and most of the Dem ranks, itā€™s all about comity and bipartisanship. Gag me with a spoon. Oh, and if Trump really is losing in the polls, heā€™ll start a war with Iran. And, if he loses, heā€™ll not relinquish the office without a full-blown political war.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t say otherwise. I said heā€™ll soon be exposed.

Not everyone is watching rally speeches this far out from the election. But eventually theyā€™ll see one, or theyā€™ll watch a debate, and theyā€™ll see an old, out-of-touch zombie stumbling over his words, yapping about how, if heā€™s elected, Republicans will suddenly start playing nice and work with Democrats. And I predict that voters, having lived through the last 20 years, wonā€™t buy it, and theyā€™ll pick another candidate.

(Hopefully Warren or Sanders.)

Iā€™m not.
I think Warren is the ā€œslow and steadyā€ type who is going to consistently, incrementally increase her standing in the polls.

And I think that Biden and Bernie are going to go after each other (with Bernie taking the first shot), and that its not going to be pretty. And that Warren is going to be the chief beneficiary of that messā€¦

2 Likes

Whatā€™s the matter jim, not feelinā€™ the Bern?

1 Like

(also replying to @jonney_5 and @squirreltown)

The point is that, earlier in the year, this was Harris race to lose. Now it isnā€™t.

In March, she was second in the polls among active active candidates, and first or second on various insider prognostications (e.g. WaPo). Some strong momentum on her part might even have kept Biden at bay. Instead, Buttigieg and then Warren got their surges.

Yes, yes: the polls at this stage arenā€™t predictive, and pundits often miss the story. Thatā€™s not my point though. My point is that thereā€™s a reason that Harris so far hasnā€™t caught fire despite her inherent advantages: She hasnā€™t impressed the people who are paying attention, which doesnā€™t bode well for her ability to acquire support in the primary or general campaigns.

Warren and Buttigieg have been stellar in handling the media and simply in giving people reasons to vote for them. Sanders and Biden have ā€“ shall we say? ā€“ grandfathered support.

As I wrote before, I do hope Harris ups her game. The ideal ticket IMO would be Harris-Buttigieg ā€” but only if she shows she can campaign at a higher level.

3 Likes

Harris was originally my first choiceā€¦ but then she went all mealy mouthed on the Mueller report, while Warren was speaking truth to power.

The I watched her in an interview with Rachel, and I was ā€œmehā€¦ā€

so Iā€™ve switched to Warren.

2 Likes

I look at a poll like this and see it as bad news for both Biden and He Who Shall Not Be Named. Could crack another way, but with universal name recognition for both, doesnā€™t seem like the preferred place to start-- itā€™s more likely that people in their column will move away to other candidates as they get to know them than vice versa.

Whereas B/W/H are all running in the same group, basically tied. Theyā€™re the ones that have the best shot of expanding their support.

Maybe itā€™s just me, but for Harris, I donā€™t see any real pitfalls at the moment. Weā€™ll see after the first debates how things start shaping up.

2 Likes

Did Chris Rock ever find hair products in that state?

1 Like

hahaha! Youā€™re right, no doubt.

I was lucky. I went to a small private college in WNY, where all the meals were prepared by little old Italian ladies. They sure knew how to cook!

I donā€™t see Buttigieg as a good VP pick for anyone. Certainly not for Harris ā€“ as a black woman, Harris will need someone who reassures voters (like Biden did for Obama). A young gay guy, no matter how personable, is not going to do the trick.
While Iā€™d prefer Inslee on policy grounds, Washington is solid Blue. Hickenlooper would take Colorado completely off the table as a possible Trump pick up, (hillary won, but with only 48% ā€“ the libertarian picked up 5% there) so Iā€™d go with him.

1 Like

I think that Warren has made that point pretty well.

While she is centering her campaign on her policy proposals, she is the candidate who took the lead when it came to calling for impeachment based on Trumpā€™s crimes as detailed in the Mueller report. And she is the one who called out Fox News as a Hate For Profit outfit ā€“ she didnā€™t pretend that there were ā€œlegitimateā€ journalists there to talk to.

So the story actually begins in paragraph four? Cā€™mon TPM this is a Daily Beast headline.

1 Like

Apparently the stupid voters didnā€™t get the memo that Joe Biden is way aheadā€¦

Because . . . Tim Conway.

2 Likes

Warren and Buttigieg have been stellar in handling the media and simply in giving people reasons to vote for themselves.

I assume you mean ā€œgiving people reasons to vote for them.ā€

1 Like

Thanks. I think you are wrong on every aspect of your argument, but you are certainly entitled to it. I was pretty certain that you were an old Sanders Bro. A Bro who didnā€™t vote for Hillary in ā€˜16.

ā€œA young gay guy, no matter how personable, is not going to do the trickā€

Pete is a lot more than ā€œpersonable.ā€ Heā€™s smart, well-informed, articulate, and politically savvy. As for his youth, some people are just ahead of the curve; to me, hew usually comes off as the most mature person in the room. And people for whom his sexuality is an issue probably wouldnā€™t have voted for him in any case.

1 Like

With you until here.

This part remains to be seen.

Listened to Trump lately?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available