Discussion: Poll: Biden, Sanders Tied In Iowa

Yes. In fact, I can personally guarantee there is one within 1937 miles of your house (if you live within the contiguous United States). Sorry, reservation are not accepted.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS658US659&q=Furr’s+Cafeteria+Buffet&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=35388491,-106269942,42744&tbm=lcl&ved=2ahUKEwj0lInnwqriAhVlHzQIHfa-D3sQtgN6BAgGEAQ&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m2!1d37.3808948!2d-93.54099049999999!2m2!1d25.554964!2d-108.9911542!3m12!1m3!1d5753415.737393957!2d-101.26607234999999!3d31.4679294!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i352!2i317!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4

2 Likes

From the What Wally Has Learned files:

“Although Golden Corral, Hometown Buffet and Ryan’s are owned by the same company and feature similar menus, for some inexplicable reason Ryan’s is far, far superior to the other two.”

2 Likes

Eighteen of them left. Ten are in Texas. five in New Mexico, two in Arkansas, and one in Oklahoma. I have never heard of them before today. And I traveled extensively for quite a few years.
Are they anything like Old Country Buffet?

2 Likes

Two old white guys lead in the Old White People’s primary.

What a surprise.

1 Like

Do we still take the Iowa caucus seriously?

1 Like

It is telling that an article about Biden and Sanders gets gets more posts about Furrs and Golden Corral then the Candidates. At any rate there is a Golden Corral in Amarillo that I like to hit about twice a year when travel west, there and back.

3 Likes

I couldn’t say. I haven’t been to one in 30 years. I was traveling with my close to retirement age boss and we stopped at one in Las Vegas NV. Swear to god, the median customer age must’ve been 106. Fist time was the last time for me.

5 Likes

Looks like 3 in the Dallas area. I havent been to one when since Montgomery Wards went out of business.

1 Like

Remind me again: what’s the point of having these early voting states?

Not if the candidate we like isn’t leading.

8 Likes

Change Research has had questionable numbers in the past but this top 5 is about right as to who has staying power for the duration of the primaries. Not a fan of Pete but he does have rhetorical gifts which allow him to speak clearly to the issue of how to confront and replace Trumpism. I think that puts him above Beto and the gang. For policy and thematic times Harris at 10 and Warren at 12 are pretty solid. I don’t see a spot for Klobuchar, Castro or others. Inslee is one who has the substance and track record to break through but it’s not registering yet. I find it hard to believe that Bernie is doing ok in IA but worse than expected in NH. In SC, he has fallen to 5th place in a poll today. His support looks softer to me.

2 Likes

It is.

Excitement about crappy 2nd rate restaurants trounces the Saviour (according to millenials) and the Saviour (according to moderates)

I voted for Bernie in 2016 NH primary, but he is a non-starter for me this time.

And Biden…I mean the absolute only 2 things going for Biden are…

1. He is likely to do well in the 3 surprise states from 2016
  2. He is perceived as electable.

Notice neither item on that list include exciting policy proposals or ability to expand our party.

Until and unless we got to war with Iran, Joe brings nothing to the table for me. If we need to take down Trump during a war, Joe’s foreign policy experience would be an asset.

2 Likes

Any poll of Iowa is gonna be suspect because it’s a caucus state.“Likely caucus goers” are right in Bernie’s wheelhouse because they’re going to trend younger and more activist. Biden’s older, less-idealistic demographic are less likely to be inclined or able to participate in hours-long caucuses.

This is the main reason we should dispense with caucuses, especially ones that have inflated value as “bell weathers” due to timing in the Primary cycle. Iowa is the perfect poster child for getting rid of caucuses.

4 Likes

Southern NH is effectively…“North Massachusetts” chock full of former “Massholes” with many residents commuting to Boston for work. It is also where the bulk of the population is and in the Boston media market.

I think Warren pulls from Bernie here as there is ideological overlap and they are both “almost hometown”.

Frankly, I’m more surprised Warren isn’t pulling better in Iowa.

2 Likes

Shit, I’d through out the timing bit amongst the States altogether, maybe do an American Idol- elimination contest, where everyone across the country gets to weigh in on regular intervals, rather than a minority of States determining “momentum” and funding.

1 Like

Of the five top-tier candidates, Harris is IMO the only who is truly underperforming.

Considering her huge California base, her high profile on the Judiciary Committee, and her central location along the Dems’ ideological spectrum, she had an opportunity to become the frontrunner – or at least to match Bernie and Biden. But she has squandered it by waffling unreadily on some issues, and sticking to pedestrian, small-ball policy rollouts rather than articulating a vision.

I keep hoping that she start hitting a pace and wowing me – because I find the other four candidates problematic for a variety of reasons. But I’ve begun to wonder whether she has it in her.

5 Likes

I agree with putting less credence in the caucus results, particularly this far away and before any debates. In any event, Bernie lasted as long as he did in 2016 because of his strength in the caucuses: he virtually tied Hillary in Iowa, and beat her in Minnesota and Washington State. He has his supporters, and we’ll see how well he does when people start to vote.

Biden will soon be exposed as completely washed-up.

1 Like

So far Harris is still my favorite. But I have to agree with you. (Though “squandered” is a bit unfair)

That said, I guess it is better than peaking too soon. Perhaps the slow and steady route will be beneficial in the end.

Iowa always breaks and changes at the end anyway. Guess we’ll see.

3 Likes

Don’t read too much into the media tea leaves.

“Normal” people aren’t paying attention more than 6 months out from a vote. And with so many names out there, it’s hardly surprising that everything is polling basically in line with name recognition at this point.

How many Americans that aren’t on TPM actually have watched Harris take down Barr or Kavanaugh?

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available