Discussion: Police: 1 Shot In Shooting At Texas High School

My prayers are with them.

3 Likes

two shooters

Which one is the good guy with a gun?

Well Texas did just pass a law allowing students to carry at school
Just saying

2 Likes

My heart stopped - not my daughter’s school - hope it is over and prayers to students. staff and especially parents of children there.

3 Likes

That was on state university campuses, not high schools.

3 Likes

Is it Thursday already?

3 Likes

Because Texas.

3 Likes

Shit. Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit.

2 Likes

" The next school year began just two weeks ago."

Man, I remember when news was so much easier to follow when time was linear. This NEXT school year starting TWO WEEKS AGO just gets me so confused.

4 Likes

“It happened when they invented that time machine.”
“When was that?”
“You know, before they changed the water…”

1 Like

Katrina Pierson doesn’t suffer similar disorientation relating time frames and events. I always look forward to her discursives about Obama’s failed conduct of the Vietnam War. Good stuff.

4 Likes

Me too. We had a threat to my kid’s high school (and an arrest) earlier this week.

Shooter committed suicide; one other student and an LEO were also shot. This is horrible for everyone.

One caveat: The demise of the shooter is likely a net plus for the future safety of those within the sphere of his contacts.

Sadly, in TX the idiots that run the State Government will ignore this entirely. :frowning:

You know, this was a kid. I guess I just don’t see it that way.

Maybe it’s a religious thing* that I don’t see anyone as beyond redemption. She never should have had a gun or been in a position to harm herself or others that way - but I wouldn’t in a million years wish her, or anyone else, dead.

Kids do irrational things but for her to think that this was her only option is heartbreaking.

*My friends would see that as a joke - don’t read more into it about any God stuff.

2 Likes

Prayers and rumors of mental illness as explanations instead of actual gun control solutions…F Texas.

Because: Texas

AUSTIN – As of New Years Day, licensed gun owners in Texas have been allowed to openly carry firearms into restaurants, shops and zoos.

Add a new place to the gun-friendly list: state mental health hospitals.

Visitors to one of Texas’ 10 state mental health hospitals will be allowed to openly carry weapons into the facilities, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services. Employees and patients will still be barred from bringing in weapons. The hospitals this week pulled down signs banning guns at its facilities and posted new ones asking people to leave their firearms in their cars or conceal them from patients, said Carrie Williams, a state health department spokeswoman.

“It’s an absolutely terrible idea,” said Beth Mitchell, a supervising attorney with Disability Rights Texas, an Austin-based advocacy group for persons with disabilities, including mental ailments. “You have a very vulnerable population committed to these facilities for treatment. Allowing visitors to walk around campus with visible firearms could be very scary to people. It’s a very volatile situation.”

State Rep. Matt Rinaldi, a Republican from Irving, voiced support of the new policy and said it’s up to each hospital to keep the guns away from patients. “It’s the responsibility of the operators of the facilities to ensure that the patients are not around dangerous weapons,” he told the Austin American-Statesman, who first reported the policy shift.

Patients at the hospitals suffer from a variety of ailments, ranging from depression and bipolar disorder to schizophrenia, Mitchell said. Many are veterans of overseas wars struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder, she said. Introducing weapons could trigger their symptoms, she said.

"These institutions are supposed to be safe from weapons," Mitchell said. "Now we’re going to say, ‘No one else can have them, but visitors are allowed to bring in weapons.’ It makes no sense."

2 Likes