Discussion: Pelosi Will Not Authorize SOTU Until Government Reopens

So, when does Trump tweet a less than subtle incitement of violence or harm to Peolsi?

9 Likes

So basically she’s taking away Trump’s television privileges?

17 Likes

But seriously let’s not nail-bite over the optics and whether it’s a good move. Trump shut the government weeks ago in a fit of pique after being goaded by a gadfly. The whole sorry mess is a disgrace. She’s saying he doesn’t get to do a constitutionally not-required exercise in public grandstanding if the rest of the damn government is shut down and people are working without pay and missing payments on cars and houses and having to get free food when they’re gainfully employed. She’s certainly got the communication skills to make that all clear. And it’s damn well about time somebody started reining him in and reading him the riot act. It’s what the electorate voted for. She’s standing up for the Constitution here. CALM DOWN. Nancy’s got this.

81 Likes

I like the progression of it. She didn’t expressly tie it to the shutdowns a few weeks ago. By tying it to the shutdown now just as federal workers are about to miss their second paycheck, she is aligning the democratic message with their plight. The media have generally ignore the plight of federal workers because they won’t honestly discuss why it is necessary for the Republicans to make people suffer in order to get something that they can’t get passed through Congress or the normal channels. The Media’s inability to understand how the legislative process works, and to recognize that the Democrats want to big victory on a mandate to stop the wall and check Trump is a significant failing on their part.

49 Likes

too bad she can’t take away his internet

5 Likes

RIP
GOP
ETTD

14 Likes

Something is missing. Trump may not show up and speak on the floor “whenever he wants”. There are rules. There is just no way he could, for example, show up and do a Kanye, i.e. take the mic from someone who has been properly given time to talk about an item on the agenda.

2 Likes

Baseball games are postponed due to weather. This state of the union will be postponed due to “shutdown”. Check your schedules for the makeup date.

4 Likes

Makes me wonder what will happen if he tries. Sergeant of the Guard’s brain is probably doing backflips about now. Commander in Chief is Trump. Military servicemen have a duty not only to not act on illegal orders, they have a duty to act against them. I was told this is one of the things that make our military different (and stronger) than others.

3 Likes

I would agree except for the fact that the Speaker of the House is a woman, and he does not respect women.

9 Likes

I admit I can be shallow and superficial, but does anyone else think that Speaker Pelosi looks large and in charge in this picture?

Poised, elegant and comfortable with the levers of power. An iron fist in a velvet glove. A designer glove, natch.

23 Likes

Absolutely.

7 Likes

Build the wall as Infrastructure falls.

2 Likes

You kidding? He’s terrified of Nancy.

8 Likes

Boom, that easy . No means no.

14 Likes

They aren’t part of DOD. He isn’t their commander-in-chief. They answer to Congress.

11 Likes

Yes, he only loves his rallies with supporters and their red hats that they’ve bought that made him some money.

8 Likes

Agreed. His options are: Public Grandstanding, or Dysfunctional Government. His choice. Nancy is brilliant!

5 Likes

For those pearl-clutching about “petty” fights, there are two reasons for taking a stand.

1. It’s not business as usual and Pelosi won’t enable McConnell and Trump to pretend that it is.
  2. Educate Trump about who really has power in Congress.
30 Likes

No, this is better. She is reminding everyone of the reason why the SOTU is being delayed, not cancelled. The government must be opened first.

That’s the sum and total message behind everything the Dems are holding firm on now, and that message has to be repeated over and over.

26 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available