Discussion: OxyContin Maker Settles Opioid Crisis Lawsuit With Oklahoma For $270 Million

Slap on the wrist…

2 Likes

Forbes had the Sackler family fortune around $13 Billion back in 2016…

Until we start seeing settlements with a “B” at the start, this is basically couch change for those fuckers.

Let alone that I want to see this coming out of their fucking pockets, not just the corporations they hide behind.

Bunch of sick, twisted murderers.

6 Likes

A Massachusetts court filing made public earlier this year found that Sackler family members were paid at least $4 billion from 2007 “until last year.”

And that only includes what they received from Rush Limbaugh’s housekeeper.

7 Likes

"And Oklahoma stripped that from us today.”

HAHAHAHAHA! Welcome to the ReWhited States of Amurikkka. May I take your rights?

And guess what, champ: that $270M will probably get used by the GOP assholes running your idiot state to cut taxes for the wealthy.

8 Likes

How do you keep coming up with these gems? It amazes me. You’re a TPM treasure.

3 Likes

It comes to about a dollar 23¢ per person harmed by the drug. (snark or not-snark?)

4 Likes

Too rich to jail, I suppose.

In the land of “equal opportunity”, there’s no such thing when it comes to imprisoning the wealthy for crimes committed.

2 Likes

Is that per person in Oklahoma, or nationally? Because I do think that the suits being settled today only apply to OK. (I still think it’s dirt cheap.)

1 Like

If every single state in the union gets the same amount from the sacklers, that will mean they only profited by $250 million plus since 2007. And if the company declares bankruptcy that doesn’t mean it has to stop operating, just that it gets out from under the judgments.

3 Likes

There was probably more money but that went directly to the corrupt GOP Governor and AG… Scott Pruitt was AG in OK, and he hasn’t been the worst they ever had. The Guv is a total crook that was banned from doing Mortage business in Georgia.

1 Like

OxyContin Maker Settles Opioid Crisis Lawsuit With Oklahoma For $270 Million

In other news, Purdue Pharma, announced an aggressive marketing campaign hoping to double the sales of it’s best selling product… :smile:

1 Like

"As part of its settlement, Purdue will sent a free package of 100 OxyContin pills to each Oklahoma Resident. Company officials and a Sackler family spokesperson said that this gesture shows their contriteness, and there is zero risk of any addictions related to the giveaway.

Experts estimate that the giveaway will amount to a further $37 million expenditure for the company, which they should be able to recoup from taxpayers when filing taxes with the IRS at the end of the year."

2 Likes

You know more about Oklahoma than I do, I’m happy to say.

1 Like

Some of the Sacklers should have criminal charges filed against them, and end up in jail. After paying out $75 million here and $100 million there, they’ll still have billions or at least hundreds of millions. That buys a lot of cigarettes in jail … and maybe they can start a new business venture involving addiction and death.

1 Like

yeah, the day they have free drug treatment centers, i’ll believe the money went to ameliorate the problem - until then, just a bunch of paperpushers re-distributing it to cronies

2 Likes

I’d have been happier if they’d added two zeros to that figure but, oh well, there’ll be other states.

It is only OK, and only against Purdue Pharma. The company will be out of cash and insurance long before they can pay all the damage awards they will be facing.

The Sacklers will be coughing up most of their fortune, but this uncaring and extremely harmful behavior under the guise of capitalism will continue to grow if we don’t put a lot of bigwigs in jail.

We need law-enforcement priorities to change, and we might need some new legislation to draw some clear lines on behavior and to make it possible for AGs (quash your quibble with that plural) to successfully prosecute cases. The sociopathic capitalism practiced by the Sacklers at Purdue led to rampant opioid addiction that caused hundreds of thousands of deaths and probably brought tragedy to 400x that number of lives. It would have been nice if the Sacklers had been stopped 15 or 10 or even 5 years ago.

1 Like

Thats it?!?!? $270 MILLION?

That is what, ONE DAY OF PROFIT for JUST the OxyContin drug? and just in Oklahoma!

Whoever signed off on this agreement will soon be working for Purdue Pharma, trust me (if they don’t already.)

Not sure why Walter White was hunted like an animal and gunned down for providing drugs to customers.

It’s no different than what the Sackler’s have been pushing legally.

Let’s have a few more States sue Purdue. Purdue is a merchant of misery and death.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available