Discussion: Obama Warns Threat From Iraq Militants Could Grow

Discussion for article #224193

Oh gee… I would hate to see Iraq destabilized

I think it far better to have Obama in the Oval office than the GOP alternative. After all they were the ones who said we’d be greeted with flowers.

5 Likes

What exactly is your point? If you’re disagreeing with our President, do tell what he’s got wrong.

Those ISIS jihadists are apparently now savvy about twitter, Facebook and propaganda videos on YouTube. But you know what? They sound exactly like the ‘sovereign citizens’ movement in the US. Same rhetoric, same demand for ‘freedom’ and hatred of all regulation offered by normal governments. One guy was exuberant that unlike his former home in the UK, he gets to drive without a license in Iraq now, he can watch telly without a license unlike in the UK, and best of all he says, he can walk the streets with his Kalishnikov without interference. Sound familiar?

In other words. The only thing all these ‘rebels’ has got going for them is hatred of regulation… it doesn’t seem like much to hang a new state on.

4 Likes

And yes, I BLAME GEORGE W BUSH…and Dick Cheney and Paul Wolfowitz and Douglas Feith and William Luti and Stephen Hadley and Richard Perle and Eliot Abrams and Scooter Libby and John Hannah and David Wurmser and Andrew Natsios (sounds kinda like Nazi breakfast food, don’t you think?) and Dan Bartlett and Mitch Daniels and George Tenet and Colin Powell and Donald Rumsfeld and Condoleeza Rice.

They are all war criminals, and they all should be tried at the Hague, and put into prison garb, locked away and forgotten, but for the history books.

http://thinkprogress.org/report/the-architects-where-are-they-now/

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/condi.jpg

2 Likes

“We’re going to have to have a more focused, more targeted strategy and we’re going to have to partner and train local law enforcement and military to do their jobs as well.”

Really Mr. President? Really???

We have been training local law enforcement and military for well over a decade now only to see them flee, or joining the ranks, when face to face with ISIS. Much treasure and time has been squandered “to train” these people with very dim results.

Maybe it’s time to try some different strategy Mr. President, not more of the same!!!

Any positive suggestions?

Surely you jest. Drive-bys never have positive suggestions.

1 Like

Yes, let them solve their own problems.

If Congress has the guts to stand up to special interest pressure and support the President, I’d say re-establish diplomatic relations with Iran and end our economic embargo of them.

Iran has a vested interest in suppressing violent Sunni fundamentalism in adjacent lands. They have a population of 65-70 million people, the support of Shia populations in (former) Iraq, Syria and Lebanon, and the non-Pashtun areas of Afghanistan.

Iran is also a democracy and a source of stability in the Middle East.

Will our foreign policy in that region reflect pragmatic realism or distorted zealotry?

Was that your advice to Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney?

1 Like

“I would hate to see Iraq destabilized” is a pretty good quip, but to be serious: a couple hundred thousand people could die in the next year or two if a real civil war breaks out there.

One thing I learned from the Iraq War: “Iraq can’t get worse” is never, ever true. Yes, it can.

1 Like

we’re going to have to partner and train local law enforcement and military to do their jobs as well."

Umm I think the President means retrain the military in Iraq. The ones we trained before took off their uniforms and ran away when ISIS showed up. The police officers we trained in Afghanistan? Yeah they shot and killed our soldiers when we gave them guns and training.
Now about the threat… is it a “Condi Mushroom Cloud” or more like a “if we don’t get them there , they’ll get us here” kinda thing?

“Al Queda inspired militants”? Here we refer to them as “the Republican Party”.

1 Like

Yes, let them solve their own problems.[quote=“Libs, post:10, topic:5817, full:true”]
Yes, let them solve their own problems.
[/quote]

That’s more or less what our strategy has been for the past four years. How satisfied are you with the results?

Let’s call “Let them solve their problems” Plan A. On the off chance that Plan A doesn’t yield positive results, perhaps it’s worth having a Plan B.

I think it’s more of a “Blowback is going to cause more terrorism!” kind of thing.

What a silly comment you wrote: there aren’t any threats in the world we need to worry about, because George Bush was wrong. That’s some great logic you’ve got there.

Alternate headline:
“Obama, Roused from Torpor, Worries Iraqi Collapse Will be Blamed on Him.”

It’s hard to argue with results. Are you “agreeing with our president?” Do you think this is the result he had in mind for Iraq when he took office 5 1/2 years ago? He inherited a recession from Bush, too, but if there were still 10.5% unemployment that would be unacceptable.

You really think we’re supposed to have concrete solutions for this clusterfuck in Iraq before we can criticize Obama for mismanaging it to this crisis point? Get real.