Discussion: Obama: 'I Make No Apologies' For Bergdahl Release

Discussion for article #223554

Intelligent. Patriotic. Sane. Thoughtful. Compassionate.

No wonder the Republicans hate his guts.

45 Likes

True. The Republicans think they at least have the “patriotic” trait - but it turns out mostly to be the phony, flag-pin-wearing kind.

11 Likes

Well said, Mr. President.

15 Likes

“We had discussed with Congress the possibility that something like this might occur, but because of the nature of the folks that we were dealing with and the fragile nature of these negotiations,” he continued. "We felt it was important to go ahead and do what we did…

And he wasn’t talking about the Taliban.

23 Likes

I don’t know how he does it. The folks he has to deal with every day; the GOP, the lamprey-like press. As my mother used to say, “It’s enough to make an angel swear.” And as my father used to say: “It makes you want to cut their fucking balls off.”

23 Likes

Is the President suggesting that if he had informed Congress, the GOP might have tried to use the Sgt.'s plight to their advantage? Where on earth could he have gotten that idea?

6 Likes

I’m with your dad

6 Likes

“because of the nature of the folks that we were dealing with and the fragile nature of these negotiations”

Was he talking about Congress or the Taliban? I can’t tell

11 Likes

GOOD!

Do not ever apologize for making a decision, Mr. President. The Decider-in-Chaps for sure never did.

10 Likes

Good for him. Dear Democrats? This is what it means to have a backbone. Take note.

14 Likes

Ditto.

1 Like

Now if Scarborough, Bill-O, Fox, talk radio and the rest would apologize for ejaculating their outrage loads over anything and everything to do with Bergdahl, his personal beliefs and his father’s beard, the world would be a slightly better place.

2 Likes

unpossible… gotta have some balls to begin with.

1 Like

Yes, Well said.

I see “Fox” trotted out Cheney once again to go after the President…

I do know one thing Cheney might be good for… Put him in charge of taking out Snowden…

Someone really ought to take O aside and tell him to drop the negatives that enfeeble his declarations. Enough with the incessant no, never, not.

Affirm!

1 Like

Nor, as POTUS, should you.

Thank you Mr. President.

The five Talib would have been let go once the draw down is complete regardless and as CIF, everyone in congress KNOWS this plus, this barter has been in process with congress’s knowledge for YEARS.

6 Likes

Let’s look at the possible objections one could make to this deal:

1. These Taliban guys are getting away unpunished. Well, they’ve already spent a dozen years in an unpleasant prison, which ain’t nuttin’. They are additionally subject to:
    (i) Being tried by the new Afghan government.
    (ii) Being indicted in the Hague for war crimes
    (iii) An “accident” like a drone attack.

2. They can carry on the struggle. Well, they are in Qatar. The Qataris are watching them. The CIA is watching them. The NSA is intercepting their communications (even Edward Snowden would have a hard time objecting to that). If they meet with a courier, the courier can be followed and maybe lead to some interesting folks. And see 1. (iii) above. These guys are marked men.

4 Likes

Take note cowardly Dems. Never apologize to conservatives.

8 Likes

So “I make no apology” is enfeebling?" [eye roll]

4 Likes