Discussion: Obama Gets Standing Ovation At NBA Finals Game In Toronto

Our Favorite President Donald Trump would have gotten the same loud, boisterous reception if he had been there.

The tremendous amount of rotten tomatoes, milkshakes, and doggy-doo thrown at him would have been completely besides the point, though.

16 Likes

Even while in Great Britain keeping this news from dear leader is today’s staff job number one.

27 Likes

Dubs win! Thanks, Obama.

8 Likes

This is unsurprising, Toronto and Nairobi have sister city status.

22 Likes

I hope all the networks give split screen comparisons of Obama’s welcome at the game and Trump’s protests in England, just to piss him off.

25 Likes

Fondly remembering when we had a real, respected President with integrity!

37 Likes

I saw online Justin Trudeau was also at the game. I was surprised they were not sitting next to each other. Trudeau would have been concerned this would have Trump add tariffs on Canada for retribution.

Trump is the first President in modern times not to throw out a first pitch at a baseball game. He would get booed.

The next Democratic nominee at the presidential debates should have his guests wear John McCain masks to rattle the dear leader…

15 Likes

You don’t have to go to such lengths to piss Trump off. All you have to do is say “McCain” in his hearing.

2 Likes

Yes, but he hates Obama, too, and the baby blimp will annoy him next to Obama’s standing ovation.

2 Likes

Actually, the problem is that he would probably get winded walking out to the mound and can’t throw a ball further than 10 feet. Even he couldn’t get away with riding out to the mound in a golf cart, and a wussy throw is just…wussy.

6 Likes

FDR threw out a pitch from his seat to the catcher a few feet away.

3 Likes

And the NBA finals had a larger crowd than the last Presidential inauguration!

The comparisons just write themselves.

This actually tells me that there are an awful lot of people in this country who have grown visibly weary of a fake president trashing the integrity of that office, and the nation.

Edit to admit my own ignorance as to the location of that standing ovation. Toronto, not Bay Area, CA. Ooops!

13 Likes

The game was in Toronto but you’re still correct.

1 Like

Big deal, Donnie gets standing ovations in Moscow all the time, as their MVP.

8 Likes

That should fry someone’s onions.

Can anyone foresee, because of this, the same tariffs being put on Canadian goods as are being placed on Mexican goods, just for spite?

2 Likes

The nominee should be wearing the mask.

3 Likes

And following behind Trump, looking over his shoulder.

1 Like

I’d pay to see that.

3 Likes

This was a great moment. He was a MVP as POTUS. I once lived in Toronto for about 6 months as a kid. Great city.

It got me thinking about the 2006 elections. Dems did a very rare and radical thing that year. They ran against the Iraq War. They also embraced a maximalist position: war was a mistake, change policy, withdraw troops, withdraw funding to force the issue if need be. It was among the most demographically and politically diverse coalitions the Dems ever built. We even won Congressional seats in Indiana!

That election enabled Dems to change the Bush policy and it paved the way for Obama. Running on that same moral clarity, he won an historic victory in 2008 and changed this country for the better.

In 2020, we can run on ‘he’s impeachable but we can’t impeach’ (the muddle of 2004) or, ‘he’s a crook, we’re gonna expose him and root out all corruption period’ (the clarity of 2006/08). I choose the latter.

9 Likes