Discussion: NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio Joins The 2020 Race

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:!!!

No. Justā€¦NO!

1 Like

You are correct.

But, TWO former Governors of NY did: Theodore Roosevelt, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

1 Like

The only Presidents ever who were former Mayors were Coolidge, Cleveland and Andrew Johnson. And none of them went directly from Mayor to President. But on the bright side, if the Dem candidates start a basketball team, they have their center.

4 Likes

I wish this too. Iā€™m also just as fine with De Blasio not running as I am with his running - either way it doesnā€™t affect my top choices. But as far as running for the senate, that is something (in this case) that De Blasio canā€™t do, since NY already has two Democratic senators.

4 Likes

Yeah, maybe they can pull Bill Bradley out of retirement (btw, Iā€™d vote for Dollar Bill in a heartbeat!).

1 Like

I just hope to at least see Mayor Bill and Mayor Pete standing next to each other at some point during the primary campaign.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a shame he did not have the pizzazz required to be President, he was one of the totally honest politicians, and is a brilliant man. And he played basketball just like he played politics. He was a team player, and in fact the 1969 Knick championship team played the best ā€œteamā€ ball ever.

2 Likes

De Blasioā€™s announcement about his Presidential run reminds me of the 1970s TV commercials for Alberto VO-5 where an actress appeared on the screen and said, ā€œHello. Iā€™m Rula Lenskaā€¦ā€. And the entire television viewing audience of America responded with, ā€œWho in the fuck is Rula Lenska?!ā€.

1 Like

Apparently the election of Trump has released the ids of everyone who ever thought they might have a shot at president some day - otherwise I cannot explain why every doofus in the Democratic party has decided to ā€œtake a shotā€. By diluting the field this way, I am starting to worry that the Democrats are starting to look a little lemming like in their fever to run for no other positions other than president. As much as I really hate ā€œinevitableā€ candidates or worse, people whose "turn " it is to run, this overstuffed potato sack race is starting to become a standard late night show joke which is never good.

With this kind of overcrowding at the trough, someone with big name recognition (like, for example, Oprah) will be able to perform a deus ex machina on this farce with very little effort. I am becoming embarrassed for my party - and that is never good, either.

3 Likes

Hey, Iā€™m thinking about jumping into the fray myself. Now if I can only find $500M under my couch cushionsā€¦

At this rate, the stage at the first Democratic debate will look like the set from ā€œWe Are the World,ā€ except with everyone talking over each other.

Should he get a nice parting gift?

2 Likes

The only thing the Dem field is lacking is a ā€œSuper Celebrityā€

My money on the next to announce?

Oprah.

1 Like

Great, the only candidate bad enough to put NY in play for the Republicans.

Also, I deeply deeply regret not having better educated myself during the 2013 NYC mayoral primaries.

DeBlasio is really tall. Thatā€™s something.

1 Like

Youā€™re talking about a miracle. Dems donā€™t do the future. Theyā€™re way too disorganized for anything like that.

I used to do volunteer work for them, and it really is that bad.

Yeah, itā€™s fodder for jokes, but huge interest and a deep bench is kind of a good problem to have.

I expect there will be some drastic winnowing very soon, and many of these candidates who are getting national recognition might get enough attention (and cash) to run for office in their states - as governor or senator.

What I really donā€™t want to see is a ridiculously huge lineup at the debates, where there are so many candidates they only get one question each, and they all start looking desperate and foolish as their answers are cut off or their issues ignored ā€œin the interest of time.ā€

1 Like

Not so fast, Kemo Sabe. I did not see the advertisement/announcement video and will not watch it because I do not like to puke this early in the day. Without at least having been good and drunk the night before. But, I am informed by a neighbor who is a former elected official, that the announcement video has a portion of it which is DeBlasio driving or being driven around in his Mayoral SUV. And that this use is a violation of law.

So, we may not quite have our prototypical George Mikan Minneapolis Lakers center. And theyā€™ll most certainly all insist on being the Player-Coach. Like Dave DeBusschere in Detroit before the Knicks got him.

Why?!? :no_mouth: