Discussion: NY Fire Dept: Helicopter Crashes Into Building In Midtown Manhattan

What’s weird is I had just tuned in to watch Dean give his testimony in the House after hours listening to blowhards comment on cable news about how pointless and ridiculous his testimony would prove to be, and I see this crash in NY on my TV. I know NY is the center of the universe but if they wanted breaking news, I’m sure someone is getting gunned down in America somewhere at this very moment… Not trying to trivialize this crash, but its almost like cable news has performed an act of self-prophesy on the unimportance of the Judiciary committee’s attempt to attract the public’s attention to witnesses before them regarding the very real importance of the Mueller report. Just saying…

ETA: Joyce Vance is testifying right now. It can be viewed on C-Span3 btw.

5 Likes

Look, respectfully, are you seriously saying this is a news choice made to minimize attention to Dean testifying? This is an aircraft crashing into a building in New York City. That’s going to be a big news story any day of the week no matter what else is going on, and it will probably be like that for the rest of our lives.

9 Likes

CNN is reporting there is no obvious damage to the top of the building due to the helicopter crash at this point. Some smoke from the helicopter though it seems. And yes, I do think they should have delayed reporting on it until they knew more, rather than set off needless hysteria that this is comparable to some kind of terrorist threat.

4 Likes

Only wish the name Trump had been on top of it.

7 Likes

But that’s not how it works. When a major news story breaks you tell people as much as you know about what happened and update as you learn more. That’s what news is. Nobody said anything about terrorism. They evacuated the one building, as far as I could tell with no hysteria involved. The police are calling it a “hard landing,” not a crash, and it’s guessable the pilot, who was the only passenger and has died, ran into some trouble and attempted to land safely on that roof.

9 Likes

I saw “midtown Manhattan” in another report, had to tell my heart to be still.

8 Likes

I think I could prove in any court in the land I’m no Trump fan but you people can be cold, man. :laughing:

4 Likes

@littlegirlblue @bodie1

13 Likes

8 Likes

heck no, why should we have to pick up the vastly inflated tab for damages?

5 Likes

!Benghazi!

4 Likes

There, that’s better.

4 Likes

It’s 87 degrees here at High Noon. I’ll do anything to be cold

6 Likes

Vastly inflated flab, my little chickadee. :laughing:

5 Likes

There are 100 or more helicopter crashes per year in the US, many of them with fatalities. This one earned the TPM lottery for some reason.

3 Likes

Send it our way, we’re used to it. If it keeps up all your wines will be like 14 percent alcohol this year.

1 Like

This is the kind of news cable loves best. Pictures of a downed aircraft, smoke, confusion on site, confirming “If it bleeds it leads.” But terrorists would have had a far better aim than the top of a building.

@mattinpa We’re the city of cool, grey love, and no one can cope with heat even for a couple of days.

4 Likes

Oh, I hear you. The weather is nuts everywhere. And God help us as the years go on. Is it illegal to threaten to do stuff to a president after he’s no longer president? Asking for a friend.

7 Likes

Thanks for the tip - I just turned to C-Span3. And, I likewise hope this crash doesn’t end up basically eliminating any impact of the Dean testimony. Also, the latest info is that this kind of helicopter typically flies CEOs over NYC traffic to another headquarters, the airport, etc.

3 Likes