Discussion: Newspaper Cartoon Appears To Tell Blacks And Latinos To Leave The State

Discussion for article #233452

No confusion. The caption gives the game away. It’s absolutely clear what the intent of the cartoon is, despite the newspaper’s weak attempt to justify it. “Some people” is a loud blast on the dog whistle.

19 Likes

I find it beyond laughable for this to appear in a newspaper in a state that was FOUNDED by Native Americans & Hispanics and then INVADED by Anglos…

15 Likes

Sorry if you were offended …

5 Likes

That defense is bullshit. Just a quick look at google shows they have a Washington, Sherman, Lafayette and a bunch of others along with a street named after half the other states in the union.

14 Likes

Ah, yes… The classic, racist “nonpology”…

9 Likes

It’s as if these people had never been to New Mexico.

2 Likes

First rule of holes, kids. First rule of holes.

3 Likes

Totally call BS on this stunt.

and the responsibility rests on the shoulders of the editor -
Tim Howsare is the editor of the Roswell Daily Record in Roswell, N.M. He can be reached at: editor@rdrnews.com
here he is:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/thepampanews.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/53/35337424-bf50-11e3-9b9c-001a4bcf6878/534447ff0a7f4.image.jpg?resize=300%2C393

3 Likes

I was born in Roswell. This is embarrassing, even though I never really lived there…

4 Likes

More like like the steam whistle on the RMS Queen Elizabeth.

2 Likes

He’s so pale.

2 Likes

Cartoonist failed to signpost Martians’ home 33.9 million miles directly from Roswell. So: brown and black bad, green AOK.

4 Likes

Does this surprise anyone? after they destroyed the native and Hispanic residents in the state…all that is left is to maintain the heady hate quotient that plays so well with the ignoramuses that somehow buy in to the dehumanization of anyone who does not look or think like them.

4 Likes

The give-away is that even if you accept the logic of their premise, it still isn’t true.

I hope they don’t have a Washington Boulevard or Lincoln Road anywhere… They aren’t connected to Roswell either.

The street signs in Roswell should reflect people that Roswell wants to honour. That should most likely be people that have made life better for the residents of Roswell. Now, obviously, people who actually live in Roswell would have a better chance of doing that so there is a local bias - but national figures who made life better for all Americans would also clearly be acceptable.

4 Likes

If priority counts, Native Americans came to what is now New Mexico about 11,000 years ago. Spanish-speaking peoples began settling in New Mexico in 1588. After all, it is NEW MEXICO. So who are the Johnnies come lately?

3 Likes

Just to be clear: this is not a dogwhistle. Rather, this shenanigan is just blatant, out-in-the-open racism. They’re getting more and more and more and more tired with having to dogwhistle…they’ve “had enough”…can’t stand “the PC”…and will continue to get more and more and more agitated and open about it going forward, as they have been since (and because of) November 4, 2008.

10 Likes

One suspects that if they’d been renaming every street in the city after Ronald Reagan (“Reagan Street,” “Wilson Drive,” “Ronnie Lane,” “Ronald Wilson Reagan Memorial Blvd.,” “Ronaldus Grendadicus Ave.”–the possibilities are endless), there wouldn’t be people raising hell about it at the city council meetings or ambiguous cartoons in the local paper.

3 Likes

I imagine Larry Bird – now an executive in a league that is approximately 80% black – is thrilled to have his name attached to this blatantly racist cartoon.

4 Likes

So civil rights activism has no place in Roswell. I bet the aliens beg to differ.

2 Likes