Discussion: Nadler Slams McGahn For Ditching Hearing: 'Our Subpoenas Are Not Optional'

At what point will the dems make an example out of one of these folks ignoring their subpoenas. Just making a speech about how disappointed you are isn’t cutting it. The dems are going have to get off the pot and do something drastic or drop this thing

2 Likes

Because that always yields the desired results?

2 Likes

“Our subpoenas are not optional,” Uh sorry Jerry, based on recent history they are, in fact, optional.

8 Likes

Sorry, but when the other side’s main goal is to delay as much as possible, I don’t see how adding more delays is necessary to “appear reasonable”. McGahn has had his chance to “behave nicely”. We really don’t need to say both “please” and “pretty please” here.

And, really, the public isn’t going to be moved more by acting slowly than by moving at normal speed. Taking five weeks to process contempt votes, which are then promptly ignored by their targets, doesn’t seem to be doing anything. Barr was held in contempt on May 8. It’s two weeks later and…? Barr laughed about it a week later. There is no plan for a floor vote.

So…is this delay rallying the public to the side of the Democrats? Or is it signalling Pelosi’s aversion to conflict?

Where are the Democrats summarizing the Mueller report on Twitter? Why is the only person doing something like this a Republican?

I’ve seen these Congressional Democrats play this game before. They wring their hands, talk about keeping the powder dry, and do the bare minimum. They are behaving like they are intimidated by Trump.

It’s been over a month since the Mueller report was released. It really feels like the plan is to avoid conflict, with a few token actions taken to give the appearance of “doing something”. And then we’re supposed to vote for these guys again.

3 Likes

Ideas on who these two are? Lucko doesn’t do superfluous much.

2 Likes

We must all bow to Mr. Nadler for his great strategy of responding to every middle finger shown to him by the Trumpians by a very strongly worded letters.

We are in a much better position w/r/t Trump’s criminality than on March 22, 2019.

Trump has, in response, gotten more obstructive

That’s pretty much it…That kind of thing is going to have to be communicated (especially the obstruction part).

6 Likes

“… according to a new Federal Election Commission filing itemized by ProPublica, the Republican National Committee’s top expense in April was $2 million for “legal and compliance services” to Jones Day, out of $14.3 million total spending last month.”

2 Likes

Is there an example of Dems being too aggressive and that backfiring? I’ve been watching American politics for five decades and cannot think of one time that’s been true.

On the other hand, rallying the troops got Nixon out of office. It kept Bork off the Supreme Court. It could have kept Thomas off the Supreme Court, but Biden backed off.

And there are countless examples in the past three decades of Democrats caving, Republicans gaining ground, and the party becoming less popular.

Republicans will always warn Democrats of the danger of overreaching. Meanwhile they’ve been constantly aggressive for three decades and I don’t seem them suffering politically as a result. Seems like the net result of them being aggressive while we aren’t is that they are constantly over-represented in government.

4 Likes

Many people are saying that some attorneys may lose their license to practice! Sad!

Anyone feeling “activisty” on this fine Tuesday may want to reach out to their local Bar Association Professional Responsibility - Lawyer Disciplinary Agencies: ambar.org/2AVqmO0

1 Like
2 Likes

Josh just wrote that the Supreme Court leaves in June and is back in September. That means that if the House doesn’t move FAST, nothing will be decided for an entire YEAR. I hope Pelosi knows this … I’m assuming she does but, come on, already. I understand the need for details, etc., but it’s all moot if nothing happens for an entire year.

2 Likes

Throw him in prison. Get him disbarred. Stop playing games.

1 Like

Words are cheap, sir.

The only way to enforce the non-optional aspect of a subpoena is to make it very difficult to ignore it.

Arrest and jail. Otherwise, you look stupid and weak.

C’mon, folks, this stupidity has gone on too long and is getting old. Do you think for one moment if the roles were reversed that the GOP would delay and stall this much? I think not.

3 Likes

Careful what you wish for. Stephen Miller could be next in line. Either him or Hannity.

1 Like

Yes. The Pelosi-Nadler strategy as I read it is to give them enough rope to hang themselves.

1 Like

Guys, I checked the internets and it seems that the president’s personal attorney and the White House Counsel have to go to jail first, before a criminal will leave the Oval Office. So…we are halfway there?

Herbert Kalmach (personal real estate and tax attorney, paid hush money to Watergate buglers, etc.):

Fun Fact “He thinks Nixon is the Lord himself,” a former co-worker said of Kalmbach.

Job Duties prior to disbarment and jail term: “Handled…the acquisition of the lush property in San Clemente, Calif., that became known during the Nixon administration as the Western White House. Mr. Kalmbach also displayed considerable and sometimes controversial skill in courting political donors, raising a reported $18 million for his client’s 1968 and 1972 presidential campaigns. Mr. Kalmbach would serve six months in prison after pleading guilty in February 1974 to felony charges of improper fundraising during the 1970 midterm elections and a misdemeanor charge of offering a European ambassadorship in exchange for a $100,000.donation.” https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/herbert-kalmbach-most-mysterious-figure-in-the-watergate-scandal-dies-at-95/2017/09/29/9a9452e4-a56a-11e7-b14f-f41773cd5a14_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3e91e2a03b23

And the White House Counsel, John Dean, former Atty General (!): Disbarred, served 19 months. “After he became president in January 1969, Nixon appointed Mitchell as Attorney General of the United States while making an unprecedented direct appeal to FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover that the usual background investigation not be conducted.”

You can look this up if you need to, but he has been all over MSNBC lately and is super sorry about all of that wiretapping, threats, slow slow of school desegregation, everything.

Agghhhh, can’t end this reply without posting my fave John Dean sending the FBI-to-beat-up-his-wife-to-protect-Nixon tidbit from Wikipedia:

In the days immediately after the Watergate break-in of June 17, 1972, Mitchell enlisted former FBI agent Steve King to prevent his wife Martha from learning about the break-in or contacting reporters. While she was on a phone call with journalist Helen Thomas about the break-in, King pulled the phone cord from the wall. Mrs.Mitchell was held against her will in a California hotel room and forcefully sedated by a psychiatrist after a physical struggle with five men that left her needing stitches.Nixon aides, in an effort to discredit her, told the press that she had a “drinking problem”. Nixon was later to tell interviewer David Frost in 1977 that Martha was a distraction to John Mitchell, such that no one was minding the store, and "If it hadn’t been for Martha Mitchell, there’d have been no Watergate."

3 Likes

This is why it is so important to get these people on TV in front of committees. It will happen eventually, but it is just so frustrating to watch the dems necessarily “go high” when the trumpists flaunt the rule of law at every turn.

1 Like

I hate that iokiyar is built into that meme.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available