Discussion: Nadler Slams McGahn For Ditching Hearing: 'Our Subpoenas Are Not Optional'

“Our subpoenas are not optional”

But they are though. As long as nothing happens and there is no repercussions from ignoring them they are in reality completely optional.

9 Likes

Tiptoe through the tulips.
@demosthenes59 Why, they’re going on holiday 25th - 2nd June. There’s always an excuse for why everything takes so bloody long.

5 Likes

If you don’t grab guys by the scruff of the neck and throw them into jail, subpoenas will be optional…A LOT.

6 Likes

They will make up for that with sternly worded letters and sarcastic claps.

2 Likes

Again, creating a record that you’ve been the epitome of reasonableness and given the subject of the subpoena every chance possible to comply or even compromise on certain issues is just good practice an dis absolutely something that helps in Court. Moreover, he can hold votes on those things when the Rules permit it. I’m not versed in the House rules but there might be a notice requirement involved such that he has to give the committee 24 hours or something. If not, he can give McGahn a couple hours to come to his senses and then hold the vote. There really is no rush or reason that it has to all be done at once and instantaneously.

26 Likes

Nadler’s Judiciary Committee voted to hold Billy Barr in contempt almost 2 weeks ago, but Pelosi still hasn’t even scheduled a vote by the full House.

Slow-walkers gonna slow walk.

4 Likes

The Democrats are giving each potential witness every opportunity to behave nicely before coming down on them. It’s about theater. If they want the American people on their side, the Democrats have to come off as the god guys. The Average American isn’t going to read the Meuller report or understand clearly many of the crimes Trump is accused of.

To get the majority of the public on their side in this investigation, the Dems have to give the appearance of good guys investigating bad guys. That image alone will add a lot of credibility to what the revelations mean to anyone who doesn’t really understand these crimes (which, unfortunately, is far too many people).

Democrats, unlike Republicans, can’t fire up their base just by persecuting the other side. We need to put on a good show as well, regardless of how much evidence we have.

14 Likes

They are until you back them up, so back them up!

3 Likes

They responded

4 Likes

Thank you. It’s easy to be the Warner Brothers flunky sidekick character who says “Yeah, boss, let 'im have it!” But the idea that you gave the other side every opportunity is what people with expertise in this tend to say. This Monday morning quarterbacking all day, every day of the week is getting tiresome. Nothing personal, gang.

23 Likes

Maybe a little.

10 Likes

“Our subpoenas are not optional,” Nadler said.

The reality on the ground argues otherwise, Jerry.
7 Likes

oohh… another letter. I wonder if at this point there isn’t just a template where the name/date/offense are inserted.

keep in mind they break for the memorial DAY holiday all next week… and members are probably already packing up and loading the car to boogie out early… so, no rush.

the only message democrats are sending the public is that there is no threat to the rule of law with an out of control executive; so don’t bother us with your emails/calls for actually doing something.

4 Likes

MOAR HEADLINES and a slam-dunk track record of obstruction to give the judge.

2 Likes

I understand your wisdom. I’m just frustrated.

4 Likes

To @sniffit’s point, when Mehta ruled on the subpoena yesterday, you’ll notice that he included a mild rebuke of Cummings for not adopting a formal resolution on the purpose of the investigation. Although in this case the underlying law was clear - Cummings had the undeniable right to issue this subpoena - the fact that the judge pointed out this issue is important. It seems to me that he was telling the Dem’s that they need to dot all the i’s and cross all the t’s in every instance, because in more complex or murky situations, such omissions could turn a victory into a defeat.

21 Likes

Yeah, that’s not uncommon. I wouldn’t even call it a rebuke, but rather the judge hinting at what would be better practice in the future based on what the court would find helpful.

12 Likes

Until someone goes to jail, subpoenas are optional. Sack up, Nadler.

2 Likes

Moi? Heaven forfend.

3 Likes

Your impatience does not belie the court victory.

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available