Discussion: Nadler Joins Some Dems In Condemning 'Anti-Semitic Tropes' In Omar's Tweet

Republicans have jumped on the congresswoman’s comments. House Republicans’ campaign arm, the National Republican Congressional Committee, said in a statement Monday: “Anti-Semitism and bigotry have no place in American politics. It’s time for Nancy Pelosi and House Democrats to get serious about the problem within their caucus, and removing Ilhan Omar from the Foreign Affairs Committee is the first step.”

It’s almost like they don’t remember pulling out the George Soros trope every election cycle or that their President endorses neo-Nazis.

21 Likes

The GOP…no shortage of opportunism

3 Likes

When the right puts a muzzle on the raging racist dipshit in the WH, I’ll think about maybe caring more about what a freshman Rep says about AIPAC and if it might not be PC.

10 Likes

The story is more than Rs saying stupid things.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/02/11/its-all-about-benjamins-baby-ilhan-omar-again-accused-anti-semitism-over-tweets/?utm_term=.199ca37a100f

“All Members of Congress should reject anti-Semitism, just as we reject all forms of hatred, bigotry, and intolerance, and must denounce those who deny Israel’s right to exist, including terrorist groups like Hezbollah and Hamas.”

Some of the most ardent pro-Israel Democratic members of the House condemned the tweets Monday, including House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (N.Y.) and Florida Rep. Ted Deutch.

Nadler called the tweets “deeply disappointing and disturbing” and said Omar “appears to traffic in old anti-Semitic tropes about Jews and money.”

3 Likes

I’m one of Omar’s constituents and, for what it’s worth, I have no special feelings about Israel. It does not occupy a special place in my thinking about global politics, any more than does Italy or Nepal or Taiwan.

As a 1st Amendment matter, it’s vitally important that the Jewish religious community in the US be free to adhere to their false superstitions, as are Catholics, Baptists, Muslims, etc. But I bristle at any suggestion that the US has any special obligation to Israel by virtue of some shared spiritual fantasy.

I have very little tolerance for people who still believe in Santa Claus, and absolutely none for basing policy decisions on Christmas lore.

11 Likes

Great. Another developing mess. And I can see the adds already. Northam in blackface and Omar in a hijab.

She was stupid and she brought this on herself, but we’re not handling it well. It’s time for an apology by Omar, or a non-apology in the Republican style. Whatever. But this pile-on of other Democrats is a PR disaster. Who’s coordinating this? Anybody?

1 Like

We have met the enemy and he is us.

2 Likes

The founding of the state Israel was far more than an extension of Christmas lore. It was meant to be a safe haven for survivors of the Holocaust. President Truman recognized that and acknowledged Israel to be a state in 1948. The US has always had a special relationship with Israel, and what’s happened in the region since 1948 is always up for debate. But among devout Jews Israel meant life. The phrase “next year in Israel” affirms the hope for a better future.

4 Likes

AIPAC is the original Colluding with a Foreign Power to Subvert American Democracy, and the one that hardly anyone talks about…

2 Likes

Is she wrong, though? Or just outside the Overton window?

2 Likes

Good point.

I think you have to try to adhere to the Deborah Lipstadt standard, i.e. avoid anything that smacks of anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, like the Jews owning the banks, or being the eminence grise behind sundry nefarious plots. There is lots of room to criticize this israeli government, which is odious for its embrace of 45 and his racism and which deserves harsh criticism for its treatment of Palestinians–whose leadership also fails to cover itself in glory, btw. But I think Dems need to stay away from those timeless and vicious anti-Semitic tropes, no matter what the GOP does or doesn’t do.

8 Likes

In the event, this idea seems to have worked out rather differently than foreseen.

There is also a larger issue here when it comes to support for the state of Israel. Many millennials, those in the congresswomans age group came to age after the Cold War.
They have friends of various ethnicities and religious or non religious backgrounds and see the Israel Palestinian conflict as being ridiculous and just something that should have been mitigated years ago.
A number feel that the $3.3 billion that goes to the state of Israel each year could be better used for humanitarian work in other places.
A fair number feel hoodwinked by the lies that got the nation embroiled in Iraq, have friends and neighbors who served honorably and came back with issues.
They have seen an Israeli prime minister and Likud administration that has been disrespectful towards US presidents and Americans going back as far as George H.W. Bush and Secretary of State James Baker. Whether you can call this as being anti Israel is debatable just many millennials would like to have a different paradigm when it comes to Israel and the Middle East.

4 Likes

Through no fault of the original settlers who were homeless.

Just the fact everybody who takes AIPAC money is so hurt by this, shows Rep. Omar is absolutely correct. It is all about the Benjamins

It’s clear history has a short shelf life.

4 Likes

I understand that the slanderous accusation that we Jews use money to attempt to control the world has a long and vicious history. But if the issue of money having an undue influence in our government is going to be discussed in general, its potential application to lobbyists for Israel can’t be off limits.

7 Likes

Let me say (1) I am a member of the tribe, (2) I deeply dislike the direction that Israel has been going, and the “Alderson/Netenyahoo” slant to politics (largely the result of a large influx of Russian Jews with a very non-democratic mindset), (3) I dislike AIPACs reflexive pro-Isreal stance, but this all said, Omar is a fucking fool to have gone there. When someone like her says what she said, and in the way she said it, she is either really stupid or is anti-Semitic. Not a good look for her, and the Democratic party needs to come down on her like a ton of bricks.

There are just some things that those who are Islamic can’t say about Jews, in the same way that White People can’t say about Blacks, I could go on…

3 Likes