Discussion: Nadler: Dems Won't 'Necessarily' Impeach Trump Over 'Impeachable Offense'

I can’t believe how stupid Rethugs are to not have a clue that not being willing to break with tRump isn’t going to affect them big time. Oh, well, so they all lose their Senatorships, means more for us ultimately.

That’s pretty clearly what he was trying to avoid saying…

2 Likes

Something I just learned - if you hold down the space bar on the iPhone keyboard, you can then move the cursor around. Apparently there is a manual somewhere that tells you all the secret tricks, but I could never find it.

3 Likes

Excellent post, my friend.

I am fearful, however, about the wrecking -crew that Trump has been unleashing upon our Republic. Moreover, we have been in severe peril for well over two years. To contrast, December 7 1943 saw an America far more situated for survival than we presently are.

That the opposition we encounter now include media outlets (FOX, etc) and our own neighbors and relatives makes the whole thing surreal.

5 Likes

Especially with what’s going on in WI, MI,
and NC!!!

4 Likes

I don’t watch much either. I see headlines, money quotes, read the text of the exchange…hardly ever PLAY a video and almost never watch anything live except over my wife’s shoulder as she has on CNN for an hour most nights. So I don’t know what all the other networks or shows or Sunday circuit are doing. Wish I did…but I already know it is all weighted for Rs no matter what. Liberal is a dirty word, IOKIYAR, and Dems are expected to provide truthful answers and solutions and clean up R shitshows…while Rs are allowed to make vague statements, break the law, shred decency, and poison common sense, decent dialogue, world of facts and science. Been accelerating that way since about 1980 and the table is so tilted nobody remembers what fair or open debate and news coverage means. By nobody I mean the great unwashed and the media companies themselves. You can see CNN, MSNBC, NBC, and many of the main network and cable news orgs trying to fight back to normalcy on news coverage and unable to break their own paradigm. And…corporations are never going to go back to a neutral, not-for-profit news coverage.

TV interviews certainly have a place but are a terrible medium for Ds often. Issues are complicated, hard work is required. People can’t get everything they want (like building walls sea-to-sea, or banning all brown people) and real answers don’t make good TV these days. The questioner rarely has formulated or can remember their decently formulated queries, the interviewee has to answer on their feet, and shouting matches break out. Tapper thinks he is being probing and on the side of the angels (ferreting out Trumps misdeeds) and thinks he has an honest broker in front of him whom he can get something newsworthy from. But he should instead be exposing Rs for their heinous complicity in every Trump crime. But see, they wouldn’t come on his show if he did a good job of that.

I won’t go into it here…but we need more than journalism to defeat these folks. They don’t use journalism to define their world, and strike their blows, nor care about facts nor truth nor investigative reporting. We need activism, numbers, media machines, legal teams. A bigger and meaner and more media intensive ACLU.

5 Likes

Reading manuals is for sissies. :wink:

2 Likes

Nancy Pelosi probably gave him a big kiss on the lips after that statement.

1 Like

Right. It’s hardly idle fantasizing. We have solid evidence that this is what is happening and will keep happening. Not wishful thinking at all.

The people engaged in wishful thinking right now are Trump and the GOP.

5 Likes

I agree that it’s depressing as shit that war and huge banking crimes are almost always easier to ramrod over the public’s distaste and find such reliable cheering squads. They are complicated, have lots of moving parts, can be spun to trigger patriotism in many, and offer massive financial incentives to powerful people.

On the other hand sexual indiscretions/shenanigans are simple to understand, widely relatable to all (especially to women, who are the base of Democrats’ victories) and salacious to read about, triggering a certain schadenfreude in most of us. That’s why we don’t respond with equal outrage, and yes, it sucks.

1 Like

this

1 Like

Would have been better to say, “There’s no point in impeaching him in the House, because his enablers in the Senate will not convict him, no matter how egregious his crimes. He was very prescient in his comments during the campaign that he could shoot someone on fifth Avenue and get away with it. The anti-communist Party of McCarthy has become a wing of their successors.”

3 Likes

If there is substantial evidence and the Congress does nothing all that does it to make absolutely sure another President will take it even farther. Silence/lack of action IS CONDONING.

1 Like

Same with the shift and modifier keys, for those who’ve given up capitalization.

1 Like

Well it’s good to see you!

I know what you mean about the surreality. Just yesterday I was thinking how much better I should feel with the election having gone well and the investigations closing an iron ring ever tighter around the conspirators. But it remains a strain to contemplate it and I think it might be wise for myself to ease off a little. The constant seeking to learn and understand has settled into a counterproductive bad habit. And maybe when part of existence is surreal it’s helpful to remember and pay more attention to what’s stable and real.

8 Likes

I have been greatly impressed (and in awe) with your combination of good sense, positive attitude and toughness. Over this disaster period for the nation it is not me alone you have helped.

And I am thrilled that there is yet another absolute fan of Wayne Shorter. I listen to some of his solo patterns and still scratch my head.

7 Likes

Come on, Jerry. If a president who commits impeachable offenses is not impeached, what’s to stop future presidents from abusing their power? Trump should be impeached on day 1 as a matter of principle. And guess what – it’s the smartest move politically too.

1 Like

Half of that turnout was for the GOP. If we can’t get turnout up to 70% or higher (or redistribute ourselves geographically) we’re not going to take back much of anything. States are still run by the GOP and states will be the arbitrators of election outcomes. People keep underestimating how bad this is. That’s why turnout was so low. Everyone thinks the movie will end well because “it just has to”. But since they think that, they also think they don’t have to exert themselves.

3 Likes

As far as I’m concerned, impeachment (even though there’s zero chance of conviction in the Senate) is appropriate for the myriad offenses he has committed against the office and the country. It would be an enduring stain on his legacy.

OTOH, the lack of conviction would mean months and months of “Democratic Witch Hunt. Still couldn’t remove me. TOTALLY CLEAR. Bigly” tweets. The hearings would definitely tar his presidency and the threat of imprisonment for his kids might mollify him… but I doubt it. His base could also radicalize even further making the 2020 landscape even dicier.

Frankly, I’d rather see the Dem House focus on other angles:

• Voter suppression/Voter ID
  • Gerrymandering
  • Tax Returns
  • Emoluments
  • Russian interference
  • MbS

Trump is a disaster. He won’t be any more of a disaster with a failed impeachment play, which could animate his base. Better to damage him, while bringing up bills to help people.

6 Likes

The iPhone does not come with a manual. You are expected to dig up everything on-line on your own.

Since early in the days of the personal computer there has been a evil plague called “secret tricks” to get computers to do what you want and need. It is bad UI design, and the pathological notion that there is something “good” in making things obscure so that only those “in the know” can do it.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available