Discussion: Nadler: Dems Won't 'Necessarily' Impeach Trump Over 'Impeachable Offense'

I don’t think this is on Tapper. The original Dem position seemed like it was shaping up to be “Trump made us do it.” That’s the right approach. But I think this early and direct allegation by SDNY caught them off-guard. The current approach should be adjusted to, “our main priority coming in was to protect and strengthen health care, blah, blah, etc., but with these new and serious allegations, there doesn’t seem to be any alternative to immediately opening an inquiry into the charges.”

4 Likes
  • and for when the Dems, behind the scenes, know they have the votes.
2 Likes

Ok, I’ll play along. With regard to accusations, is it safe to say that you and other Democrats take accusations of sexual harrassment or sexual impropriety much more seriously than accusations of financial corruption? For instance Robert Menendez or Kamala Harris, do the accusations of political corruption also merit immediate action without investigation?

Does the sexual stuff always trump financial stuff?

1 Like

Dang, you beat me to it!!!

1 Like

Which resulted in over 9,000,000 more votes for Dems over the lying and lame GOPers. Now this is a midterm election. Sure that spread will grow exponentially in 2020, cause voters will know there will be a direct coalition of STOPPING TRUMP!

True, true, but if you’re a Republican, even lying under oath is just a “process crime,” after all.

1 Like

But would it kill us to act strategically, hold our fire, keep our powder dry, not telegraph our plans, at least until the Democratic House actually takes office or something?

Really impeachment is the Big One, the biggest weapon in the arsenal, but the most difficult to use. It would be extremely advisable to “make haste slowly” and not make any commitments to using it until the optimum moment is present.

6 Likes

Frustratingly I can’t find where I saw it but there was a piece today about how people misinterpret “high crimes” as meaning that the crime must be particularly huge, but the word high has more to do with it being an offense at government level, i.e. betraying your country is a high crime whereas grand larceny against a private business isn’t.

Found it.

4 Likes

Mr. Nadler, since there sre felonies (plural) involved here that go to the core of our elective process I think they qualify as reason enough to impeach trump. But right now he would not get convicted considering it takes 67 votes in the Senate to convict… only if enough senators feel their reelections are threatened will they act.
What we folk can and ought to do is send snail mail by the truckload to the senators so that they get the message.

5 Likes

“Oh, you should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about.”

-W. Wonka

2 Likes

I do not know what he is trying to say or if he is just being too cute; but it seems to me that an impeachable offense is an impeachable offense, if not then why would it be an impeachable offense?

worse than just a show… it’s a way to shoot our selves in the foot real bad. Impeachment without conviction would be used as proof of innocence. “Proof” that it really is a “witch hunt”. And would boost the dotard’s approval ratings. With the Repugs still on board to protect Trump (and themselves) we’d be walking right into a disaster.

Sure, I wish that the majority of people would actually listen to the evidence and realize that this guy is a criminal who needs to be removed. But the average person who doesn’t follow politics (and that’s a big part of our population) has no stomach for anything that they will interpret as “political infighting.” And Fox News will be very effective in spinning it to garner sympathy for the accused.

No, unless we can win that fight, we need to rely on other options. Yes, I agree that sucks since the guy clearly should be impeached and that we can’t is damaging to democracy. But we aren’t functioning in a fair or just environment right now. It just wouldn’t work, and would be a terribly damaging move.

12 Likes

Exactly. If Clinton had lower manifold pressure or a shorter stack or more dangle angle it might have saved him a lot of trouble. But I’m still a little fuzzy on why it was Hillary’s fault

2 Likes

Nadler’s answer was just right especially when one reads this part of a WaPo article:

“For now, Republicans on Capitol Hill are still inclined to stand by Trump and give the president the benefit of the doubt. But one pro-Trump senator said privately that a breaking point would be if Mueller documents conspiracy with Russians.

‘Then they’ve lost me,’ said the senator, noting that several Republican lawmakers have been willing to publicly break with Trump when they believe it is in their interests — as many did over Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s role in the brutal killing of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/siege-warfare-republican-anxiety-spikes-as-trump-faces-growing-legal-and-political-perils/2018/12/08/679b785a-fa59-11e8-863c-9e2f864d47e7_story.html?utm_term=.2faa57724ecb&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

Tried to correct the placement of that first quotation mark to no avail. i-phone frustration.

Gah! Never mind.

7 Likes

Adding this: on “The Last Word” last night, Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) struck out on three hanging curves on the same subject.

Link (starting around 30:00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNyvGzSpjxI

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not. Everyone’s assumed for three years now that nothing really bad would happen, that Trump could never become president, and so on and so on. This wishful thinking has been mostly just that…wishful. And wrong.

1 Like

Those dirty dogs Bart O’Kavanagh and Ken Star! enumerated ELEVEN acts of fellatio. In XXXquisite detail.

3 Likes

It is, and always has been, ultimately a political decision. It doesn’t really matter whether Democrats say now, before they even take power, that they’re going to impeach him. It can all change as the year gets underway.

At whatever point there are actually enough Republicans who decide to bail on Trump for impeachment to be possible, it will be because things have emerged that are just politically too much to bear – and at that point the Republicans might be the ones begging for impeachment. Rather than trying to get anywhere in an election with someone that damaged as the candidate or even just at the helm.

2 Likes

Yeah but there’s evidence to support @jootjoint’s assertion - the midterms. Turnout was historical. There is no reason to think we won’t keep the wave going. I think we will. I think we will take over the majority totally in 2020 and we’ll hold it for the foreseeable future.

9 Likes

I want an impeachment, and I want it NOW, Daddy!

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available