Discussion: Nadler: Dems Won't 'Necessarily' Impeach Trump Over 'Impeachable Offense'

I can assure you with confidence that it is indeed broken beyond repair.

The plutocracy has perfected the methods of buying out one of the two major political parties, although had to unify themselves with the white nationalists to do it.

There is a term for this.

That term is Fascism.

There is no case of a Fascist party “reforming”.

You can look it up.

1 Like

Well, think about the Democratic Party in the South.

Go back as far as you can.

I will be more than satisfied if Democrats spend the next two years stripping away the camouflage hiding decades of criminal activity by Trump, with Russian participation, documenting in detail the corruption going on in the White House right now, and setting the stage for a Blue Mega-Tsunami that will sweep Trump out of the White House, and the Republicans out of control of the Senate.

If Trump steps out of the White House and into the court house as Defendant Number One, that will be good enough for me.

2 Likes

Make your point, if you are responding to my post. Don’t wave you hand like it is “out there for me to find”.

2 Likes

The Senate during an impeachment investigation would be a joke of course. But like the Kavanaugh hearings, it would be televised, right? And the whole world would get to see those same jerks in action again, and Dems behaving honorably and responsibly.

1 Like

I believe it was like 2 days later.

20 Republicans need to vote for Trumps removal in the next congress (assuming all 47 D’s and I’s support his removal). That is a bit less than 40% of their caucus. The house R Caucus is more conservative than the Senate R caucus, so i’m figuring if you can get 30% of their number that is indicative of getting a little higher percentage of Senators.

I don’t truly understand what the political fallout would be, I was wrong about just every outcome of the 2016 election. But I assume that if a majority of R’s still back Trump in both the house and Senate, that would be indicative of him still having support of the base. So no, I don’t think it would occur without political casualties.

I don’t for a moment believe this will occur. If it does, it is actually more likely that it is such a massive smoking gun that Trump losses the support of both his base (except for Roger Stone of course) and the Congress, rather than losing a minority of R’s in Congress. But if I was vote counting, 30% is the threshold i’d be aiming for.

I think the distinction Nadler was making was between and impeachable offense vs. crimes, felonies and treason.

2 Likes

The optimal scenarios. Also known as wishful thinking…

My thinking all along has been this is not something any party can be in control of. Dems are in control of the process now but not of what the process ends up doing.

The reality seems to be that Dems will run investigations in the House, because they have to. And that will take them to impeachment. Or maybe not. Given the alleged crimes, impeachment seems inevitable. And if so, ideally we want the president impeached in both houses. However, politically speaking, losing Senate trial does NOT automatically endanger Dem chances in the 2020.

Indeed Clinton prevailed. But Clinton was NOT accused of criminal activity. He was impeached for bad judgement. The reason Clinton prevailed was because GOP was bonkers to go after him that way.

But if you accuse someone of serious crimes, of treason, with compelling evidence, and you present it compellingly, and the jury still acquits him - that’s on the jury, not you. And the reaction to unfair political judgement, if understood universally that way, is visceral. And lasting.

Also comparing this to Ford almost winning elections after Nixon was forced to resign is not a convincing argument. Why? Because Ford was foisted on Nixon by the GOP just after Agnew was removed from the succession line for being worse than Nixon. Moments before the constitutional crisis. Ford was put there precisely because he had an appeal and decency even as his party did not. He was put there because he was NOT Nixon man. He was a moderate Republican. Pence is radically right wing Republican with misogynistic tendencies. A VP who showed undying support for criminal president. Good luck, Pence.

Given that, Dems need to realize that a) this will happen or won’t, just relax, do your job well and b) if it happens, or rather when it happens, losing Senate vote is not the worst case scenario.

In fact, not following thru with impeachment, when it needs to happen, IS the worst case scenario. So in my mind the question of impeachment isn’t “Should we?” but “If it comes to it, how to do it right?”

1 Like

Sorry, just trying to clarify. Didn’t realize myself that it was a competition.

2 Likes

You can talk about what you inferred author’s implication to have been, but inference, being subjective as it is, mine is on me. And I did get that inference, again just from the quote (didn’t read the article).

2 Likes

Oh, there may have been pressure, but it was a self-inflicted wound. If Dems are to offer a better alternative, then they have to be better. The Senate used to employ Bob Packwood who also was a real hands-on kinda guy. We don’t need one of our own.

I agree completely.

2 Likes

Maybe the morbid bitch was the English prof who force-fed ED to us when she was supposed to be teaching composition. The Dickinson she exposed us to was the Dickinson of Because I could not stop for Death and the like.

I thought it was less than weeks later but wasn’t sure without Googling.

Listener infers, speaker implies as do writers. Read the article. It was only one quote out of a much longer essay, and worth reading.

1 Like

I never had the opportunity to sit in a college American lit class or in a composition class for that matter, but I suspect I would’ve enjoyed it.

1 Like

Yeah, Packwood was hands on.

He resigned from the United States Senate, under threat of expulsion, in 1995 after allegations of sexual harassment, abuse and assault of women emerged.

2 Likes

Just to say that maybe the right leverage is Ivanka in an orange jumpsuit or else.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available