Discussion: NAACP Sues North Carolina Over Alleged Voter Purge Targeting Black Voters

1 Like

In Moore County, 400 voters’ registrations were challenged in a similar fashion by a single individual, N. Carol Wheeldon, according to the lawsuit. Her mailers said explicitly “DO NOT FORWARD," the complaint said. Undeliverable mailers also led to nearly 4,000 voters being put on a challenged list in Cumberland County, the lawsuit alleged, and the county board of elections sought to move forward with the process to remove about 3,500 of them from the rolls.

She’s the secretary for the Moore County GOP.

Q?

How many voter suppression lawsuits does NC have again?

9 Likes

“The Tar Heel state is ground zero in the intentional, surgical efforts by Republicans to suppress the voice of voters.”

OK, GOP, this is it: actual evidence of “rigging” the election.

Let’s hear you roar in deafening patriotic indignation against this injustice!

I’ll wait…

21 Likes

Convict each and every one of these redneck GOP’ers…

6 Likes

Keep the pressure on these Republican bug-fuckers.

4 Likes

Only way this will stop is if some of these election board members acting in bad faith face serious jail time…as they should.

9 Likes

“I challenge this voter’s registration because this mail to this address came back as undeliverable.”

Guess where they send the notice of the hearing…

9 Likes

Any response yet??

But of course the local republican committees have nothing at all to do with the national republican committee, which would be committing contempt of court if it were involved in such actions.

We definitely need stronger penalties than just allowing people to exercise their rights as they should have been in the first place.

3 Likes

What is the info on early voting in NC? Are we ahead of 2012?

You built that, John Roberts.

7 Likes

Is there no end to their perfidy?

2 Likes

you will see trump’s tax returns at approximately the same time as a response. never is a hard time to quantify.

Trump may see his tax returns go public, after the election, when he is charged with intentional tax evasion. Then, of course, he’ll be in jail for the rape of the 13-yr old kid, and he may be totally broke after the “students” at TU get ahold of his bank account.

He deserves very much worse. As do his “campaign managers”.

1 Like

So the Rs that want to cage voters just have to send out mail with an on purpose bad address and this then gives them a right to challenge the legitimacy of a real voter?
Bad, bad law.

1 Like

Why is the Supreme Court allowing racists to manipulate elections? Oh, that’s right, it’s the Roberts’ court.

1 Like

Here’s a partial court transcript from a hearing for challenged voters:

Attorney for NCGOP: "But the challenges were on display…”

Challenged Voter: “On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”

NCGOP: “That’s the display department.”

Voter: “With a flashlight.”

NCGOP: “Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”

Voter: “So had the stairs.”

NCGOP: “But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”

Voter: “Yes, yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.’"

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say that most of the problems our country face are due to the fact that republicans seem to hate the current constitution. I do say our problems seem to be due to them being unaware that the constitution has changed since pre-Abraham Lincoln days.

1 Like
1 Like

Hitch Hikers Guide