Discussion: Mueller Team Believes Potential Trump Pardon Tainted Manafort's Cooperation

Funny how quickly Michael Cohen got that message. It seems to have broken his heart.

17 Likes

I hope ā€œoven and shutā€ is not a typo. I like it :laughing:

13 Likes

Using and abusing pardons has been a common practice by crooked Republican Presidents to help their friends escape being held to the laws of the landā€¦and helping prevent themselves from going to prison.

Nixon, Nixon, Nixonā€¦including his buddy Roger Stone.

Reagan and Iran-contraā€¦pardons used by Ronnie to save himself from going to jail for treason. Reagan conspired with the Iranians leading up to the electionā€¦treason. Donā€™t forget Elliott Abrams who resigned in disgraceā€¦Trump just appointed Elliott to a 6 figure project called Venezuela. The same Elliott Abrams rapped up in Iran contra and El Salvador. Crooks!

Then we have Cheney-Bushā€¦they used several pardons to prevent their lies about WMDā€™s from being prosecuted. Bush defrauded the US government and the people.

Now we have Trumpā€¦worse than Nixon, Reagan, and Bush combined.

15 Likes

Founding fathers George Mason and James Madison saw Trump coming.

And in an argument with Madison, Mason warned that a president could use the pardon power to stop an inquiry into possible crimes in his own administration. ā€œHe may frequently pardon crimes which were advised by himself,ā€ Mason argued. ā€œIf he has the power of granting pardons before indictment, or conviction, may he not stop inquiry and prevent detection?ā€

Impeachment, Madison responded, could impose the necessary check to a presidentā€™s abuse of the pardon power. ā€œIf the President be connected, in any suspicious manner, with any person,ā€ Madison stated, ā€œand there be grounds to believe he will shelter him, the House of Representatives can impeach him.ā€

17 Likes

From the way that Manafortā€™s playing things, it seems like he viewed himself as Max Bialystock, with the Trump Campaign as his Springtime for Hitler with Konstantin Kilimnik as his Franz Liebkind and Trump as his Roger De Bris. Trump wasnā€™t supposed to win, but it was supposed to get Manafort in good with his creditors (the Russian oligarchs). That way, heā€™s able to grease some palms, but no one would look too deeply at the goings on of a failed campaign.

Now that heā€™s been caught, heā€™s trying to play the part of Leo Bloom and claim heā€™s not culpable for the nefarious goings on during and after the campaign. Of course, even while heā€™s promising that heā€™ll ā€œnever do it again,ā€ heā€™s busy putting on Prisoners of Love (i.e. continued collaboration with Kilimnik and lying about the extent of the collusion in front of the grand jury).

10 Likes

Congress critters bringing up pardons no doubt made Whitaker extra testy in his hearingā€¦

7 Likes

And his arroganceā€¦

8 Likes

Itā€™s hard to be arrogant when your heart is broken. hahahahaha Also when you realize youā€™re on your own.

3 Likes

One goose, well cooked.

6 Likes

May the profiteroles of justice be served!

6 Likes

:joy:

3 Likes

This is the crux of it.

8 Likes

khyber900 I always look forward to your posts. They are educational in a field that I know nothing about and your observations on legal gymnastics are definitely entertaining. Please donā€™t stop posting, we need your legal insights for this sticky mess.

21 Likes
4 Likes

Thank you.

10 Likes

Admittedly, this is a catch-all comment, but if Trumpā€™s brazen criminality isnā€™t enough to get a president impeached or at least prosecuted after his term, what will ever rise to that level? The bar has been set so low that anything goes (if itā€™s a republican, of course).

2 Likes

8 Likes

The closer they get to tRump the more each of these maggots lies. Flynn? Flipped, plead guilty, cooperated. Papadopoulos? Flipped, plead guilty, cooperated. Even Cohen; even though he didnā€™t flip on his New York underworld buddies, he flipped on tRump.

Manafort claimed he would flip and then didnā€™t. Weā€™ll see about Stone.

Oh, yes, and weā€™ll see about Don Jr,. Fredo, Bimbo and the Kush. I wonder how quickly theyā€™ll flip.
Then there is one I really want to see: Melania. Any money on her changing her citizenship to Russian and declaring diplomatic immunity?

3 Likes

Yep!

Can you say ā€œwitness tamperingā€?

I knew you could!

3 Likes

The latter, if itā€™s clear-cut. There is no attorney-client privilege when a client asks an attorney to participate in an ongoing or future crime or fraud. The question is whether the pardon would constitute a crime or a fraud.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available