Discussion: Mueller And House Dems Tussle Over Terms Of His Testimony

Wait, I thought you just got done screaming and crying that I always attack leadership.

ROFLMAO

My reply in regard to “attacking leadership” was to georgeh, not you. And there was no screaming or crying. You should probably get off the floor and get over yourself. Skippy.

1 Like

They can keep their beloved acronym - Make America Go Australopithecus

6 Likes

Hmmm a former FBI director compromised? Shades of Robert Hanssen but in a nicer office.

1 Like

correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the intelligence committee already 100% entitled to this stuff?

and can’t Schiff demand a briefing from the CIA – which, one assumes, already knows about the “counterintellligence” stuff the FBI has?

Because quite frankly, withholding this information from the intelligence community is complete bullshit, and Schiff should take no prisoners, and call out Barr for treasonous conduct by hiding information about the Russia attack from Congress.

Schiff should just go out and say “Why is William Barr apparently working for the Russians”? Sure it will be controversial, but its time to play some hardball with this SOB. And every Democrat needs to be ready to back Schiff up.

7 Likes

I think we just found the chair of the select committee on impeachment…

I think the bulk of the counter-intelligence in this matter (i.el Trumpland) is FBI not CIA, so that puts it back under the rubric of the DOJ, which makes it a bit problematic given who is running DOJ these days. Yet even though the CIA is not under DOJ control even there, the CIA is also under Executive Branch control, answering to the POTUS though the DNI head.

2 Likes

JFC… Carson must have practiced brain surgery on his own head.

4 Likes

We are all of us wound up past the breaking point with anxiety and fear and we get no relief from it because there will be no relief as long as the Orange Anus is in power. All of us are like that now. We’re all twitching wreaks over it. I guarantee you that every person here has lost sleep over it. Christ, just sitting here typing this, I’m leg-fidgeting like a teenage hormone-bomb.

And, unlike Uncle Foxnut, we are all in that state with good damn reason. But regardless of whether our reasons are good or manufactured like Uncle Foxnut’s, unrelieved anxiety heightens confirmation bias and receptivity to false information that confirms our biases because it gives us temporary relief from the anxiety. Whether its information that gives us hope things will be okay or information that fills us with rage-either one will do.

And the real shit of it the situation is that that requires heightened vigilance and skepticism than usual regarding bias-confirming information even though that state of heightened vigilance actually increases our anxiety even further.

11 Likes

yes, but given that the CIA most certainly includes the information collected by the FBI in order to do its assessments, Schiff would be within his rights to know what the FBI had told the CIA as part of his oversight responsibilities. Congress needs to know that the intelligence branches are communicating fully and properly – and if there is a glitch of some sort, consider legislation to fix it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say destruction of the Republic, just a sweet opportunity for the G.O.P. to massively confuse the public and inject more seeds of doubt about the integrity and justification of the investigation and the truth of the factual evidence in the report and to push back against the thousand-odd prosecutors who interpret it as evidence of obstruction chargeable but for a memo.

1 Like

Eeeeeeks. I highly doubt that. CIA is blocked by law from carrying out domestic activities which would be part of the counter-intel work as it pertains Russia-Trump. Possible for sure, but not really sure how that would translate into cross-agency information sharing outside of intelligence moving up through DNI and to the NSC, etc.

FBI, however is authorized for domestic work and has overseas intel authorization and capabilities.

@ncsteve
Like x 1000

Thank you.

2 Likes

On one hand, I’m sick and tired of this Boy Scout. The people need to know what happened, and not just on the binary question of whether the crime of conspiracy can likely be proved. We need to know, among many other things, how and to what extent the president and those around him are compromised. Quaint notions of decorum should not stand between the public and this critical information—particularly when the Republicans are politicizing the “12 angry democrats’” investigation in utter bad faith precisely because doing so may limit (and apparently is limiting) the special counsel’s willingness to appear part of the spectacle.

On the other hand, this is incredibly critical testimony and it should be taken with complete seriousness and with the aim of establishing facts. Time and again certain Dems have proven unable to resist grandstanding for the cameras. If the hearing would be more effective as a fact-finding endeavor with the cameras off, maybe that’s an okay approach—for now.

I am torn.

2 Likes

It DOES NOT MATTER what you actually do.

There will still be pearl clutching. There will still be cries of “WITCH HUNT” and “ANGRY DEMOCRATS”.

Fuck, within days Trump called Mueller’s report both a total lie and a complete exoneration.

The actual happenings don’t matter. The GOTP will be the victim. The EVIL DEMOCRATS will be the criminals persecuting an innocent man.

They don’t need an excuse. They will still do it. Stop letting fear of what they might do determine your actions.

5 Likes

We don’t agree much, but on this dynamic, we do.

1 Like

The CIA is blocked from domestic activities, including surveillance and intelligence collection.

But that has nothing to do with the CIA’s analytical responsibilities and capabilities. In order for them to do properly assess any threats from abroad, they need to know (and have access to) all the information collected by the FBI for foreign counter-intelligence purposes.

And, as pointed out numerous times on this site, there is no one in the WH who tells the truth. Ever. Manafort, Stone, and others (?) have stonewalled.

You do realize that my comment wasn’t in reply to you, right? Perhaps you should try and control your paroxysms of laughter and pay attention. Just a suggestion.

Not as rare as historians would have you think. Lincoln ordered the killing of Indians, not as an act of war but as a slaughter. https://www.thenation.com/article/largest-mass-execution-us-history-150-years-ago-today/

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available