Discussion: McConnell Pushes Back Funding Vote But No Deal With Dems Announced Yet

THIS.

6 Likes

But DACA would pass if brought to the house floor. The commitment from Ryan has to be the bill is brought to a vote by Feb. 8.

Exactly. There will never be a clean DACA bill. It will be something like ‘people in nursing homes have to drink Drano’ coupled with DACA.

2 Likes

It would pass … if it is brought to the floor. The Hastert Rule, where the majority of the majority has to agree to bring it to the floor, can prevent the DACA bill from even going to the floor. The Hastert Rule functions much like the filibuster in the senate. However, unlike the senate, a more deliberative body, the house is not designed to operate this way.

And I don’t see him doing that

It needs to be harped on and amplified again and again that Democrats just want to see these issues brought up for a vote. The problem is that Republican leaders are too terrified that they might actually get passed. They are so afraid that there is a semblance of bipartisan support that they are willing to shutdown the government to prevent DACA from being considered. They are more worried about the Freedom Caucus than they are about the lights being on.

Bring it to the floor, Ryan.

4 Likes

It will never be a clean vote on this. The gop is going to attach it to something they want like Medicare,ss, and Medicaid cuts

I would welcome a black hole popping up just off of Venus …

If it would get November here sooner —

That’s the point.

The shutdown is screwing with the speech writing for the SOTU address next Tuesday. Gotta love that! If it were not for the body count that 10 days of shutdown would cause, I’d be all for it not getting resolved until next Wednesday. Let’s see Tighty Whitey claim that the SOTU is strong when the biggest employer is out of business.

This could be a very bad week for T.W. I see him getting laughed out of Davos after he touts his tax cuts to the grown ups. And there is the potential for humiliation on any number of fronts. He doesn’t know to stop digging when he finds himself in a shit hole. Whatever happens, he will make it much worse. Popcorn? Yes please - the extra large with lots of that fake butter!

3 Likes

Moreover, it never could or will be built. Give the baby his bottle and then let him choke on the dregs.

1 Like

The only bill Republicans can pass is one that increases the deficit while giving billionaires huuge tax cuts. They don’t care about anything else.

This SOTU is going to be darker than even Trump’s inaurguration speech was. There is no use playing up the economy when everyone knows he’s going to screw that up just like he’s done everything else. Donald has set a sinister tone leaving everyone on edge wondering when the US will hit rock bottom. The media is so intent on reporting all of Trump’s temper tantrum tweets that they are missing the big picture.

This country is a death spiral unable to right itself. It’s only a matter of time before we get kicked to the side of the road of history unless we make a critical adjustment in November in the Midterms. The GOP has given up trying to govern or even wanting to do it. It’s opened up the door for Russia and China to prevail over us worldwide.

3 Likes

Ain’t that the truth. For the last 30 years, the ONLY legislation that Republicans consistently support is WHATEVER will end up transferring more wealth from the poor and middle-class to the wealthy. And if anybody opposes them they scream, "Class Warfare’. If you don’t believe me, just go back and look at the record.

When my son was itty-bitty I would entice him to eat popcorn by sprinkling “magic butter” on it (some brand of butter salt). Once he grew up and could see through the ruse we started buying the extra-super-buttery microwaveable stuff and anything else was unacceptable.

1 Like

The proposed CR has a 6 year CHIP extension. We’re basically getting a CHIP extension for free. Keep in mind that CHIP funding expired months ago and the GOP has had every intention to end it completely or use it as a hostage every month. This proposal represents GOP surrender, and Dems still have leverage to call their bluff on DACA. A 6 year CHIP extension means every red state Dem will have a major competitive advantage in their races b/c the reason red state voters vote for these Dem Senators is because they protect health care. Delivering CHIP as Doug Jones promised would be a huge win.

2 Likes

"“However,” McConnell said, “should these issues not be resolved by the time the funding bill before us expires on February 8, 2018 ― assuming that the government remains open ― it would be my intention to proceed to legislation that would address DACA, border security, and related issues.”

LOL MiC CONnell is just as much a degenerate liar as Trump - only much more skilled at it. “it would be my intention” = by that time Democrats will have made it impossible to carry out my previous intentions. He consistently lies and promises things to his own caucus that he has no intention of following through. With con-artists like CONnell, you MUST get EVERYTHING in writing, down to the finest detail. Since their words hold about as much weight as as a flea on a Republican Elephant.

1 Like

Republicans can pass a trillion dollar tax cut for their donors, but not a federal budget?
Shows what really matters to them.
Screw the soldiers, the poor, the sick and the humble, in a cacaphonous, chaotic mess, but they’ll work together to make every millionaire wealthier?
Do they understand how the public feels about that, at their very core?
The only base they really perform for is the tiny little 1% that pays their slush funds, the Tea Mob is, obviously, completely disposable. Trump doesn’t consider them deplorables, they are disposables.

3 Likes

SOMEBODY’s gotta feel the shame…Republicans don’t do either humility OR shame well, that leaves the rest of us to be ashamed OF and FOR them.

1 Like
  • McConnell laid out an offer promising * - Oh look , the Rethugs are doing a Dickhead …
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available