Discussion: Maria Butina Pleads Guilty To Conspiracy

Maria Butina Pleads Guilty To Conspiracy

Um, it’s “Mariia Butina” and what she pleaded guilty to is conspiiracy.

4 Likes

And who said a damn thing about YOU? who insulted YOU? There’s an old saying in the USA…if the shoe fits.

Weisselberg.

2 Likes

.and the funneling of grey monies from russia through [ to Central Bank of Cyprus to real estate purchases in NY and FL to ] the NRA and into the hands of many GOP reps/senators with the ultimate prize of 22 million dollars going to the trump campaign…

The Panama Papers are gold. This Guardian article is from December 24, 2017:

4 Likes

From the WaPo article:
“Butina, who has been jailed since her arrest in July, agreed to remain behind bars pending sentencing.”

1 Like

Yes (and it’s a good question, and it’s pitiful that “journalists” have not explained).

1. The judge had imposed a gag order such that Butina and her lawyer were not supposed to speak to the press about the case.

2. Despite that gag order, Butina, perhaps countenanced or aided by her attorney, spoke to the press.

3. Butina’s conversation(s) with the press was (were) recorded by prosecutors.

4. You can see that Butina’s lawyer was therefore potentially in jeopardy.

5. If the lawyer was in jeopardy, you can understand that, for his own sake, he might prefer that his client quickly settle the case rather than expose him to legal sanctions.

6. Without accusing that lawyer, but to make it more certain that there was someone fighting purely on behalf of Butina, the judge appointed another lawyer to advise her.

Great question. Let me know if you need a better explanation.

6 Likes

I hear they’re taking nominations for Naive Political Comment of the Year.

It’s not too early to start working on an acceptance speech.

4 Likes

Mr Mueller still has about five pieces of low hanging fruit to pick off the Trumpster Tree!!

2 Likes

That was really helpful, thanks. A few others also offered good explanations yesterday. It’s odd that none of the press coverage has been as clear. “Because conflict of interest” is not enough- one needs to spell out the conflict

2 Likes

Valker and Valkerina make handsome couple, no?

Be all that as it may, and yet again, here’s what someone wrote:

Maria Butina can be invaluable in taking down the Russian money laundering terrorist group the NRA.

And you responded (in part):

She could and should be but it looks like she’s going to get a pass on that angle.

Hence my question: According to you, who is giving her a pass?

Really, given your assertion, shouldn’t this question be easy to answer?

(And while there may be knuckleheads I won’t name who enjoy prevarication, I’m not one of them, so I’d appreciate it if you could just answer the question instead of doing what you’ve been doing.)

2 Likes

Open Secrets lists top recipients of NRA donations for each election year. This link is to the 2018 election page, but be sure to see 2016 page, too. Rand Paul is listed both years.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=d000000082

5 Likes

That is so userful - thank you!

3 Likes

I’m glad to hear that.

This stuff is important. When our justice system does go as far as it can to help innocent-until-proven-guilty defendants, people ought to know it — and appreciate it, because at some point they themselves or their own loved ones may have to rely on it.

Not every accused person is guilty. Every accused person deserves a competent and honest defense.

3 Likes

I agree. Her handler has suddenly “retired”, her “tather” just relased some inane statement (via Kremlin official) about how she would NEVER incriminate anyone, including herself, and Putin suddenly has NO idea who she is.

I don’t believe for an instant that her flip was approved by Putin or that it means Putin is officially throwing Trump under the bus. None of this is going to plan for Putin, and the bodies are piling up because of it. I am sure they have this chickadee very very well guarded. She may well be Mueller’s most valuable witness.

Putin wants the USSR back. That is his one and only goal. To do that he HAS to severly weaken the US. The last thing on earth he wants is Trump, the NRA, and the extreme right wing GOP thrown out of power and into jail and replaced by a furious Democratic gov. and outraged US citizenry united in their push back against Russia. And that is where this train is headed.

3 Likes

That’s two (2) Russian spies, posing with old whatisname from Up North.

1 Like

Have you seen this?

It’s a pretty good summary. One thing about the “framing” of that article that I find more than a little disturbing however, is how they keep spinning it as Russia “approaching” the Trump campaign (on multiple occasions)… as if it was a one-way street, and not simply part and parcel of an ongoing, two-sided campaign…? As if no-one from Trump’s side ever initiated communications, or approached the Russians?

If you embrace WaPo’s view in this article, you’d almost think it was all initiated by Russia… with Trump & Co. as the victims…

Add Cohen and Flynn’s sentencing memos into the mix, however, and that spin simply doesn’t fly.

But it’s still a good summary. Shallow and incomplete, but damning. The whole affair sure looks like active and closely managed conspiracy/collusion to me…!

3 Likes

I don’t have cable… or watch ‘cable news’. (I don’t even know who Ari Melber is, poor me… am I missing something worthy?)

I’ve been using that idiom (probably incorrectly) for 40 years? More… my bad usage probably predates cable.

I’m pretty sure I’ve never once used it to “appear cool and smart”. Is that the point of using idioms really?

I’ve never analyzed this before, actually. I think I use it only to say something like, “if condition A exists, then ‘it begs the question’ (aka “begs for the following to be asked…”), does that also mean B exists”? Or some similar, albeit coarse translation of my usage.

Why are we having this conversation… Pet peeve of yours?

That aside, was my broader point at all worthy of discussion? :expressionless:

I promise not to make an issue of you writing that… :smile:

(Allow me to gently ‘mansplain’ a little here: I’m poking fun in a lighthearted way there. Please don’t take it seriously. No offense intended…!)

Happy holidays to you, LGB!!

1 Like

I know she’s a witch. She turned me into a newt, but I got better.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available