Discussion: Library Of Congress Regrets Tweet About 'Stonewall' Jackson On MLK Day

One of my favorite buildings in DC.
I would very much like to have our nation’s capital back.

3 Likes

Noting his birthday without context feels like honoring him, but he should not be forgotten.

Anniversaries of a person’s birth are as meaningless as natal astrological horoscopes. But if the LoC is going to use them as its trigger to mention historical figures, it needs to explain why they’re noted, so it doesn’t appear to be glorification. Jackson attacked the USA, caused many deaths directly, and caused vast damage to our nation’s economy, social order, and populace. The same thing is going on today, except that it hasn’t broken out into war (any bigger than Charlottesville) yet. We need reminders that this was treasonous destruction, not some heroic Lost Cause for freedom.

3 Likes

Well, how about this: “Today in History: Confederate General /traitor Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson born, 1824.” Fixed, and factual.

4 Likes

Yes, better!

(Though I still am not sure we are actually contributing to anyone’s education by reminding them which of the “great men” of history were born that day of the year. Its basically a kind of astrology, except with 365 days rather than twelve parts of a year.)

I still think there should be an Alferd Packer Day.

2 Likes

That reminds me, it’s almost time for lunch. :smile:

1 Like

Alferd’s feast took place in what became the town where I used to have a place in Colorado - Lake City, in Hinsdale Co.

1 Like

That ain’t it.

But that’s pretty cool.

I agree with @ghost that this was definitely not a Spankee-led operation.

However, the 21st and Monday thing happen on a fairly regular basis (every 5-6 years? depending on leap years…) so you could reasonably expect that someone would have figured this out. But perhaps the tweeting bit is new enough that they didn’t figure out how to block it in certain years.

So, yup, benefit of the doubt.

3 Likes

Gee, who coulda thunk it?

Honoring Confederate traitors on MLK day or any day, who coulda known?

1 Like

Is this a true tweet? I mean REALLY?

No it was Donald’s tweet about the MAGA kids that I converted to one about Stonewall. Sorry I’ll put a footnote.

That is a GREAT IDEA. terrific, really. It wouldn’t detract from celebrating his life because people would literally have the day OFF to vote AND they could still go to celebrations/parades etc.

This is a really good idea and I would bet even MLk Jr. himself would agree. Making it easier for disenfranchised peoples to vote (but in the process, making it easier for EVERYONE) AND having time off to celebrate a Civil Rights legend/icon is, well…you know, two birds one stone…something something…

1 Like

Factually correct. Unfortunately, it was, in the librul world view that we all wallow in, it was morally suspect.

As AOC so cogently noted: “There’s a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.”

That’s our world today. Everyone looking for that “morally right” comment, and factual statements are simply not at that level.

Uhmmm… it occurs to me that this WOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM except for trying to honor a traitor to the US. Stonewall Jackson’s b-day is now stuck between two of my brain cells and will not go away for a good long time. WHY IS HE ON THEIR CALENDAR???

Been there many, many times … that is, unless there is more than one, but it looks like the one I know on Indiana 46. That said, I’m proud that that wide spot in the road is now immortalized in the TPM posts, such memories.

I think you’re pulling my tractor.

Maybe they figured that the only way to get on this administration’s good side was to do something racist.

Could also get more verbose and less confrontational:
“enemy of the United States of America”.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available