Discussion: Library Of Congress Regrets Tweet About 'Stonewall' Jackson On MLK Day

3 Likes

Not using twitter means having no regrets.

Of course if this was generated automatically and you pulled the plug that would mean you’d have to do the unthinkable and actually f’ing THINK!

so unfair.

7 Likes

Ummm…is this the first time that the Library noticed this coincidence?? Seems weird…

3 Likes

I don’t know the current status but twenty years ago in Virginia yesterday would have been LJK Day - Lee, Jackson and King Day.

3 Likes

This reminds me, I saw a suggestion recently that made so much sense.

Instead of celebrating MLK’s birthday, make his holiday the same as election day. Giving more people the day off so that they can more easily cast a ballot, or work a polling station, seems so fitting with his civil rights legacy.

11 Likes

I’m willing to give the Library of Congress the benefit of the doubt on this one. First, because they are career civil servants and scholars. Second, because since it is a library, we know no one in the Trump administration, much less Donnie himself, cares about its existence.

18 Likes

King was also born at noon, so perhaps it is important to make sure no one mentions the Confederacy at that moment every day. Maybe I’m just being contrarian today, but Pence’s bizarre mis-use of King’s words was very newsworthy. An arbitrary anniversary coincidence, not so much.

4 Likes

DeafTone Jammy DJ’s Library of Congress holiday parties.

MLK Day is always on a Monday, not always on January 21st.

@ghost is right to give them the benefit of the doubt.

7 Likes

This reminds me: the first group to implement Nuremberg laws were…universities.

Shocking, I know. I mean, these were educated men, heirs to a great tradition of European enlightenment and learning and academics were the very first to go along with the regime.

Hyperbole aside, same as it always was. Our hallowed institutions are the first to fall in line (businesses are second.)

Et je pense qu’ils ne regrettent rien.

ETA: Stonewall Jackson was a sociopathic sonfoabitch who deserves no mention from a government that he sought to destroy.

4 Likes

Another example you can have all the information in the world yet remain completely ignorant.

Twitterbots: Can’t live with 'em. Can’t run a furloughed government without 'em…

3 Likes

I can see a confusion on calendar info, since MLK day is tied to a Monday, not a date, so I will give them a pass that they didn’t intend anything on that level.

What I can’t see is giving them a pass on even mentioning this ass who was a noted military leader of the rebellion against our country. No matter how you slice it, noting his birthday feels like a way of honoring him.

4 Likes

As a retired librarian I applaud you, thank you.

6 Likes

Ridiculous “scandal” re: timing. More strange to me is that LoC would be doing that for any Confederate traitor.

6 Likes

Donald tweeted his support of Stonewall

Stonewall has become symbol of Fake News and how evil it can be. He has captivated the attention of the world, and I know he will use it for the good - maybe even to bring people together. It started off unpleasant, but can end in a dream!

Edit: “Tweet” above was sort of fake, this was made by me from this one about MAGA kids.

1 Like

And with the government shut down, there may not have been someone with their hand on the tiller.

4 Likes

One of my favorite buildings in DC.
I would very much like to have our nation’s capital back.

3 Likes

Noting his birthday without context feels like honoring him, but he should not be forgotten.

Anniversaries of a person’s birth are as meaningless as natal astrological horoscopes. But if the LoC is going to use them as its trigger to mention historical figures, it needs to explain why they’re noted, so it doesn’t appear to be glorification. Jackson attacked the USA, caused many deaths directly, and caused vast damage to our nation’s economy, social order, and populace. The same thing is going on today, except that it hasn’t broken out into war (any bigger than Charlottesville) yet. We need reminders that this was treasonous destruction, not some heroic Lost Cause for freedom.

3 Likes

Well, how about this: “Today in History: Confederate General /traitor Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson born, 1824.” Fixed, and factual.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available