Discussion: Labor Day Poll Shows Voters Divided On Which Candidate Would Create Jobs

1 Like

Obviously these are disappointing numbers, but on the other hand they show a clear path for Clinton: tie Trump’s economic ideas to his horrendous failures as a businessman. I know Clinton has been running this kind of ad in swing states. I would say more of the same will work, for this issue.

2 Likes

Didn’t earlier polls have Trump ahead in terms of potential for creating jobs? That would mean that these new numbers (while still frustrating) show that fewer voters are buying that job-creator nonsense.

3 Likes

We really need to start teaching, and make it mandatory for students to take, some basic economics and economic literacy in high school.

6 Likes

Absolutely. Too many people still believe Trump is both self-made and a brilliant businessman. Once you peel back the layers on that the only thing left is white supremacy.

8 Likes

First we have to rip those smartphones out of their hands. Good luck with that!

2 Likes
  1. Donald Trump only does things for one reason - to make more money for Donald Trump
  2. Trump would have to have an actual plan, which he does NOT
  3. Watch every time a reporter tries to pin Trump down as to what his plan to create jobs would be - he blusters his way out of answering
3 Likes

The correct answer is “Neither.” Presidents do not “create jobs.” Most of the blame lies with our do-nothing Congress. Last I checked, we don’t have a king or a dictator; the President proposes, the Congress disposes. The President can propose policy changes which may affect the economy, but the Congress can and should change the laws and regulations. This is Political Science 101, people, don’t be taken in by a con man’s promises to “Make America Great Again.” That’s just one of many lies uttered by this man. Who says this country isn’t great now? Be positive, get rid of those in Congress who don’t want to do their jobs, and do not elect a lying, unqualified narcissist to the White House. Vote Democrat, we have let the Republicans ruin things for far too long.

5 Likes

It’s a shame most people don’t simply look up which party has the best record for creating jobs. Democratic Presidents beat out Republicans nearly two to one in job creation since World War II. The Unemployment rate has also gone down with nearly every Democratic President but up with nearly every Republican since World War II. That’s not partisan bickering, just cold hard facts supported by official numbers.

5 Likes

Waiting, waiting, for better rollout of the Clinton jobs program.

Its core, near as I can tell, is a National Infrastructure Bank, which sounds a lot like what we were talking about in the LSE graduate macroeconomics seminar in 1980/81, and that the Japanese talked about but failed to implement. With a huge enhancement since, using leverage-and-matching mechanisms to decentralize initiative.

I believe the Clinton jobs program is Best In Class, and I wish they would talk about it.

The political wanks think, I believe, it is too complicated to describe for we sheeple, so it is hidden and scattered deep behind the powerpointery of the campaign website.

I have a higher opinion of the intellectual capabilities of the American electorate, but I am well known for my delusions.

4 Likes

The article fails to remind readers the most effective method for the government to create jobs is with Fiscal Spending which is controlled by Congress (the Republicans). The GOP will clamp down on Clinton’s job creation plans and green light Trump’s plans. This is the reason the recovery after 2008 has been slow, the GOP has prevented a stronger recovery to attack the Democarat President’s policies.

3 Likes

The microeconomics of the NIB is that it breaks the absolute liquidity preference that persists post-2008, and that is causative of what Krugman calls the Zero Lower Bound situation. It pulls the cash out of the mattresses and turns it into last-100-meter fiber-optic-to-home networks, electrified rail, a renewable energy network, and stops bridges from tumbling at rush hour into the Mississippi. Among other things. Jobs Jobs Jobs not least of them!

3 Likes

Garbage in, garbage out. That’s the kind of silly result you get when you ask the uninformed a question like that.

1 Like

I believe that the NIB (see below) is that it turns the needed spending into capital-account transactions, and offers at least a fig leaf for the non-nutso minority of the House Majority to do an end-run around the idiotic Sequester, at least if it dumps jobs on their constituents.

Queen LaMalfa (the millionaire rice-subsidy “farmer” who represents the depressed communities of Northeast California), for example, may be a dumb-eaux, but is not a nutso. If there is a budget that dumps jobs on Oroville and Quincy and Susanville and Weed, and there are other defections (Peter King, not dumb, would be the thug whipping him into line), then he could sign on.

The Clinton wanks need to get details out there, about where the jobs land. The Teatroll territories contain many of the “renewable energy” and “home internet” jobs. San Anselmo and Santa Monica not so much.

1 Like

Well then, there’s absolutely hope for two reasons. 1) it’s Congress that creates jobs and they’ve proven to be utterly useless. After almost a decade of inaction, it’s highly unlikely they all suddenly start being productive, and scores of these “divided voters” are the idiots who elected these do-nothing fucks in the first place.

1. With all that is stated by the candidates about their respective plans, it’s mind-numbing that there is a division at all. I guess you’re not paying attention, I guess the one candidate who never gives details about all these grandiosely stupid plans is letting you believe there’s something there, there.
2 Likes

Arguably, Trump has created more jobs. Just don’t ask to be paid.

4 Likes

Well we know Trump is a job creator, for the Chinese.
Don’t forget Deadbeat Donald not only thinks Americans are paid too much, he stiffs most of the people who are stupid enough to work for and with him, except of course for 3 out of 4 of his working age kids.

4 Likes

The same poll found that voters overwhelmingly trusted Clinton to handle national security 50 percent to 37 percent

Gee, you mean that 50% of voters aren’t buying the Trump/media narrative that Clinton can’t handle national security on account of her emails? What’s WRONG with these people? Don’t they read the New York Times?

End sarcasm.

2 Likes

Truump may create gabillions of jobs, but doesn’t mean folks wiil be paid.

3 Likes

More work to do.