Discussion: Kentucky Lawyer Pleads Guilty In Massive Disability Scheme

Thanks for the thoughtful piece. I’ll admit to harboring negative stereotypes of Appalachian people, even though I know people with roots there who I have nothing but respect for. Part of it comes from living in an Appalachian transplant neighborhood in the Midwest as a child, where the stereotypes of Appalachian attitudes towards education, race, religious tolerance, violence and even incest seemed all too frequently realized, and part from the historical portrayal of these people as “ignorant hillbillies” in the broader American culture that goes back two hundred years.

I think for a lot of left leaning people outside the region, this election tested what empathy there was towards the poor and downtrodden of Appalachia. It felt that the outrage many liberally minded people felt towards the environmental destruction and anti-labor practices rampant in the region, as well as sympathy for the destruction wrought by oxy and meth was rewarded by a big “fuck you”. It seemed as if the voters there, who may be quite perceptive of the ofttimes condescending attitudes of urban liberals towards them, remained oblivious to the emotional manipulations of callous conservatives and the obvious snake-oil salesmanship of Trump. This in turn only added to the urban liberal conceit that these people are too stupid to see they are being played, and are undeserving of sympathy for their plight. Of course, this will just feed the arguments of the Right that Democrats have nothing but contempt for them and their values, but that’s a card conservatives have been playing for years in the region, as we’ve seen it become more solidly Republican. What remains to be seen, is now that there is no one stopping the Republicans from fucking them over, is how long will it take for people to realize they are being used?

Most of the people in Appalachia are descendants of people who received land grants from states in lieu of unpaid Revolutionary War debts–either bonds or, more often, back pay for military service. You will also note a disproportionate number of Scottish names, Highlanders who were drawn to the southern highlands as if by magnetic force, bringing with them the feudist code and a disdain for government by distant lowlanders. Also Scots-Irish, bringing their own brand of bloody-mindedness, and any number of people who wandered in just ahead of a noose or a jail sentence.

And you’ll find that there’s a tendency to put faith in personal relationships rather than institutions because, by and large, institutions have been instruments of oppression and exploitation. Intense loyalties, intense hatreds.

Added to all of it, however, is the fact that the collapse in coal employment brought with it a collapse of the UMWA’s power. When the number of coal miners was in six digits, The UMWA was ubiquitous and loyalty to it was intense, as in bullets and blood intense. But multiple factors–overreach and miscalculation by the labor movement, Taft-Hartley and the collapse in employment have basically crushed it.

1 Like

Few things ignite the irrational feudist flame like the condescension of “outsiders,” people who look down on them and their traditions, people who laugh at them, denigrate them as ignorant inbred hillbillies, people who think they know what’s best for them, and, above all, people who pity them. It’s a flame carried from the Scottish highlands and the Irish hills and bogs, nurtured and intensified by two centuries of exploitation and mockery by the lowlanders of all of the states that have a share of the range.

2 Likes

Steve, Wow! Just wow! Being from the extractive regions in Utah, knowing, living, and escaping rural poverty - I feel our brotherhood. We escaped and sane liberals - I’m a PhD Cultural Anthropologist - have an obligation to speak these truths, and help our liberal brothers and sisters out of their blinkered intolerance. You made my week.

Hey Don, 11 American Nations is an awesome lens to view this through. I love it whenever it is brought up.

How the hell did he only get 12 years? Over 1000 admitted acts of defrauding the gov, hundreds of millions stolen and bribing a judge? If he was black, he’d get a life sentence.

Well, to mix metaphors abominably, we’re all blinded by multiple sets of blinkers, me not least among them. And it often takes one whose own ox has been gored by the blinkered ox of another to point them out.

I think there’s something to it, and exposes people to important information they otherwise were unaware of, but it’s also unduly glib and a tad too reductive for my taste. It’s the kind of thing that makes me able to read pop history for fun but wince a bit at pop poli sci. Kind of like how I feel when I still watched shows about lawyers and how doctors feltl when they watched ER.

Two things.

1. At times what bothers me are the ones who work for cash to avoid paying taxes and SSA. When they become disabled or aged, they aren’t covered by SSA so they get SSI instead. If they had paid their fair share while working I wouldn’t have to support them now.

2. Then I remember my childhood and my relatives who still live in the north Georgia mill town where I was born, and I think, “there, but for the grace of God, go I.”

I know a woman, works at Waffle House 6 to 2, then takes care of her kids before heading to her 6 to 10 convenience store job.

She doesn’t report her cash tips because she needs every penny.

I was lucky. My parents moved and I escaped to become only the 4th person in my family to finish high school and second to finish college.

We have to help these people. I suffered from rickets for years and school lunch programs literally saved my life.

My home town is a miserable place and when I travel the area I go out of my way to avoid entering it.

But evèry time I go to the mountains I fall in love again: with the breathtaking vistas, the crystal clear streams, the unexpected springs and water falls, the winding roads into little valleys and coves, the sound of the wind in the pine forests, and all the natural beauty.

It makes me yearn to live on a mountain top…then I remember who my neighbors would be and I sigh, take some pictures, and come on home.

2 Likes

I highly doubt this case will last numerous news cycles on Fox like that surf dude who was using his food stamps to purchase crab legs. Even though it’s roughly $600 million in fraud vs the average food stamp benefit is around $135 per wk for a single person.

Add my gratitude for this eloquent portrayal of “your” people to those of us who are guilty of not having any good understanding of their mindset.

I’ve been thinking for a long time that Appalachians really need to come to grips with the idea that jobs in coal mines are gone and they’re not coming back. I’ve also thought they should rejoice that current and future generations are not relegated to that back-breaking, health-destroying work.

I sincerely appreciate your effort to inform me somewhat about some of the reasons things are the way they are. I don’t know what to do about their plight, but at least now I have less animosity towards them for not helping us do things that would ultimately serve their interests, too. I realize that’s not much of a reward for your efforts, but I hope you know you’ve done a lot of good today.

1 Like

I agree, Steve. You very eloquently and thoughtfully voiced so much of the pain I feel but can never get an outsider to understand.

To me one of the most hurtful things they taught us coming up was that it was a sin to “get above your raising.”

They’ve been so poor for so long that they have shaped their religion and their creed into a twisted, sour grapes celebration of being poor.

They pick and choose scripture to excuse their poverty and avoid accepting responsibility for themselves.

The camel through the needle’s eye story, the widow’s mite, the beatitudes, all tell them they are blessed to be poor.

What started as a way to bear the burden of povery became a mantra of “If it’s God’s will…”

They’ve built a catch 22 trap. If God makes all the decisions and he has decided I’m to be poor, then it would be a sin to try to change that, but if I don’t, my family and I will always be poor.

I shared this response with a few people. It is a really helpful reminder, particularly during Lent. Yes, it’s easy to look at this, particularly considering the dark red nature of Eastern Ky, and have zed compassion. But that is not the way to enlightenment :wink:

Cultural and intellectual inertia are nearly impossible for people to overcome en masse.

Many won’t move because that mostly vertical homestead is all they have and all their family has ever had. It is the only thing that gives them pride: even if it’s just a single wide on a quarter-acre chunk of the family plot.

I think that love of homestead is strong in many cultures.

1 Like

One other factor I should mention. The Fifth District of Kentucky, which is basically most of East Kentucky, used to pride itself on being “the most solidly Republican district in the nation.” It looks to me like it’s been gerrymandered since I left in the 80’s to suck some more Democratic leaning counties into electoral irrelevance, so it may still not be true. Registration looks to be only about +4 Republican, now. But voting looks to be +25 Republican.

I digress.

My point, and I do have one, is that most portions of Appalachia come by their Republicanism honestly, as they’ve been Republican since 1860, if not earlier.

Appalachians were, by and large and with notable exceptions, virulently anti-slavery and pro-Union. It’s not that liked the slaves, or black people, because they didn’t. But they hated the slaveowners of the lowlands, who ran their states like kingdoms by and for their own benefit, with a red hot passion. This is how you ended up with a Kentucky that didn’t secede, a West Virginia that seceded from a seceding state and an East Tennessee that lit up into a state of continuous rebellion against the CSA that sucked up a lot of Confederate manpower until Tennessee fell into Union hands.

And all of those people just stayed Republican. In the coalfields, the UMWA managed to get them voting Democratic (sometimes) in the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s, but they never stopped being Republican. Indeed, when my great grandfather was a child, “The Democrat” was used as the boogieman. (“you warsh up before supper or the Democrat will gitcha!”) When the Republicans and the Democrats began becoming ideologically recognizable to us today, they just floated along with them, a tribal allegiance that was as much about hostility to the sneering, demeaning, exploitive, Democratic “outsiders” in the flatlands of their states as anything else.

The real party id change was in the lowlands, not in the mountains.

1 Like

Interesting take on party affiliation. Where I am in Eastern Oklahoma you had to be a Democrat to have a vote that counted. All local and most state elections involved Democrats as the only viable candidates. Up until about 10 years ago (Obama) parts of Oklahoma were still this way and the area was known as"Little Dixie" because of strong democratic support. Just not in national elections. Democratic registration still outnumber Republicans but our area has Republic state Rep Republican state senator and the abominable Mark Wayne Mullin as Congressman. This area of the country never shifted party affiliation after the civil rights movement and was still known as Southern Democrats.

1 Like

True.Think all are turned down at first hearing as matter of rote. Seems hope is they won’t have ability or strength or ehatever to appeal…

1 Like

Part of thst takeover was sending agents to buy up mineral rights for a pittance from mostly illeterate fsrmers.

Yeah, this guy’s con was to get people onto the public dole. I don’t think there was much conservative about him. This case is not about politics.

1 Like

People almost always come to a disability lawyer after they have already applied for disability and been denied benefits in the first or second round of adjudication. So I suspect everyone he eventually represented thought they were disabled. Conn was making sure he won and got paid every time.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available