Discussion: Kathy Griffin Apologizes For Gruesome Trump Photo: 'I Went Way Too Far'

Ding ding! Winner.

7 Likes

Perhaps we should be shocked?

Would people take the Republican healthcare plan more seriously if we create fictional depictions of the corpses of children that died of illnesses that their families couldn’t afford to treat?

Because here’s the crucial difference – there is very little chance that Trump is going to get his head cut off and displayed. But children will absolutely die because of the Republican healthcare plan.

But the latter reality is discussed in polite terms, so we’re upset at the shocking photo of a fictional symbolic event that won’t actually happen.

5 Likes

I believe Baron has spent much of his time on his own floor of their penthouse - so I would assume he is, in fact, unsupervised much of the time.

4 Likes

Yes, because if we clean the house really well, serve the perfect meal, and make ourselves look super pretty, they won’t hit us anymore.

12 Likes

What argument is a conservative now going to win because of Griffin’s photo?

Before: Conservatives claim liberals are violent or whatever, and use Example X.

After: Conservatives claim liberals are violent or whatever, and use the example of Griffin’s photo.

What is the difference? Is anybody’s mind going to be changed by either argument? What is the real actual cost here from Griffin’s photo?

1 Like

Now that would have made a clear, strong, meaningful statement. And unfortunately not exactly what she did. I totally get the sentiment. But she just did that photo and then apologized. I don’t know what she wanted to accomplish.

3 Likes

Yes, Hypocrisy! Whataboutism! Who gives a shit? It’s performance art. It picks no one’s pocket. I might have been offended if it had been a real head.

4 Likes

Remember these?

6 Likes

Whether one finds Griffin funny is irrelevant. This is a gift to trump, fox news, and every republican who was feeling queasy about defending their dear leader. It galvanizes them and allows them to ignore “the Russia thing”, or worse, conflate this attack with a responsible journalist reporting on trump scandals. Who wants to bet Griffin and Maddow will be quickly up together on a RWNJ show, sharing the graphic while an idiot whines about conservative persecution?

The apology is useless and will be ignored. Instead of ranting about laughably obvious conspiracy theories, fox hosts can now crap on Griffin, CNN, and everyone who she has ever been photographed with in perpituity. But I guess she’ll get a lot of attention for it. Good work.

Trump himself blasted the comedian, saying she should be “ashamed” of herself.

So I assume he will also blast the Obama lynching and watermelon jokes?.. You know, the ones he himself resent to friends no doubt.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Cucurbitales can only lead to trouble.

1 Like

3 Likes

Because of Griffin’s photo, Lucy might not let us kick the football this time.

5 Likes

Who wants to bet they’d have done that anyway? Seriously. These people don’t need a reason. Liberals existing makes them feel persecuted. But I actually think there are opportunities here for liberals to first disavow it and then pivot to pointing out the many examples of Republicans doing much worse in regards to Obama, that the current POTUS invited into the WH someone who threatened to kill the last president. If they want to die on a hill feigning outrage over this, let them and then call out their hypocrisy.

5 Likes

Yes, because without this gift, the conservatives would have nothing to criticize liberals with. If only Griffin had refused to do this photo, liberals would have the upper hand in every confrontation with conservatives.

7 Likes

®amen to this–esp. “They just make it up.”!

1 Like

Right! Republicans are gonna be mean to us now!

3 Likes

Kathy wasn’t using all her creative juices, or she would have done something more like this.

5 Likes

No doubt the Obamas had to comfort Malia and Sasha many many times over the barrage of hate and racist lynching jokes and cartoons to which their parents were subjected and they exposed. This could have happened, but knowing Trump’s sorry relationship with facts, I think it is bullshit too.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available