Discussion: Jury In Manafort Trial Will Wrap Up For The Day At 5PM ET

He’s going to walk. Probably on a hung jury.

No Facebook.

Sound like you were an intelligent jury

Sorry for the lame request, but can someone recommend a film that documents the jury process. Thinking there must be a film that delves into the details without putting one to sleep.

I’ve never been on a jury and have come to realize how little I know about the processe. Don’t have the energy for a book.

M. Paul

1 Like

My worry as well, the odds of not having at least one MAGA nut case on the jury is very slim. This is Virginia after all.

Not only is he for it in theory, he made a career out of putting it in practice for himself. There’s a reason we’ve never seen his tax returns. Not as clear how he feels about “[other] people cheating” etc.

I’m the (self) designated movie whisperer, and while I’m not sure there’s a film that is specifically about the jury selection process (I was selected to be an alternate on a jury and it’s a brain numbing process) but there is a film about a jury undergoing its debate in a capital case. 12 Angry Men, 1957, Henry Fonda, B&W, but a film that is timeless.

FYI If a prospective juror indicates bias towards or against the alleged crime or offense that is at issue in the voir dire phase, that’s grounds to be dismissed.

Though this is an older film, its examination of the jury system is as valid as ever, and it may be even more important today when media sensationalism has such a strong effect on public perceptions. The movie stresses that the most crucial issue is not whether the jurors think the accused is guilty but, according to the law, whether that has been proven “beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Henry Fonda, perfectly cast in 12 Angry Men as a man who values reason, leads a troupe of familiar character actors in a movie that makes a virtue out of its cramped setting. Fonda is one of the great movie stars who will be discovered afresh by new generations.

9 Likes

Late to the party, but here’s my 2 cents worth (adjusted for inflation) on the #MAGA concern. If the jury is split 10-2 or 9-3 to convict, then hopefully the foreperson and some assertive jurors will convince any #MAGA jurors to vote to convict, and convince them that if there are problems with that: 1) the Honorable Judge Ellis will take care of things in sentencing (he gave the clues, after all); and 2) the former reality TV show host can pardon Manafort.

This, hopefully, will be enough for those who are reluctant to do the right thing.

1 Like

Bah… I just deleted several paragraphs of eloquent babble (you’re welcome!) when all I really want to say is I don’t have the confidence in this judge that others do and not sequestering this jury leaves an enormous opportunity for nefarious activity to occur.

Hope not, but jurors are human and humans are not perfect. I’ve had jury duty twice, never a case this big, but it doesn’t take much to see how vulnerable our system is, even if it is the best there is.

3 Likes

I guess this jury will be a bit of a Rorschach test for folks.

2 Likes

OT- Another thing that has been driving me nuts today in this banana republic:

“I think Bruce Ohr is a disgrace,” Trump told reporters from the South Lawn on Friday. “For him to be in the Justice Department and doing what he did, that is a disgrace.” Trump said Friday that he would likely strip the security clearance of a Justice Department official “very quickly,”

I say go for it, Orangutan. Revoking retired personal security clearances you may get away with despite the obvious political, not security, issues, but a personal vendetta against an active employee at DOJ is likely an illegal act (lawyers help me out here).

1 Like

The reason that Manafort didn’t cop a plea is the same reason his attorneys didn’t offer a real defense in closing: they know they have a Trumper on the jury who will vote to acquit regardless of the evidence. Functionally it’s jury nullification for purely partisan political and religious reasons, and it’s going to be a huge problem in this country for the next several decades. The first prominent example of this nullification by rightwingers was the bizarre jury decision in the Malheur Wilderness occupation trial out west.

A mistrial will be declared in Manafort, which will prompt Trump to do an extended and very loud victory lap during which he’ll claim that the trial proves Mueller has nothing and it’s time to shut it down for good. The Republicans in Congress will dutifully step in line and demand that Rosenstein fire Mueller.

All of this is an attempted slow-motion coup, coordinated between Trump, the GOP, and Putin.

Only about 120 countries have extradition treaties with the US. Azerbaijan beckons if Manafort wants to make a break for it. There’s even a Trump Tower in Baku.

The Men in Black do this all the time!

There are 18 charges to consider so I am not surprised the jury is taking its time.

1 Like

I’m not too sure about the lake view in Baku…

Here’s a more recent view

1 Like

Hoping for the best outcome to be sure.

1 Like

My view from reading about the daily trial and not having any insight into courtrooms. Manafort will be convicted on some but not all charges. He will do some time but not the extreme time such as life in prison.

In the meantime,
while waiting
Pauly has indigestion. lol

You want a verdict right now? It’s very simple. You do THIS:

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available