Discussion: Judge Gives Prosecutors More Time To Say Whether They'll Retry Manafort On Hung Counts

If they get to start over on those 10 counts, would that be called a Muelligan?

12 Likes

Yes but they need a little time first to Mull her over.

3 Likes

This only makes sense, but even more in the context of a potential deal. Note also that that’s about the time the next trial will be getting underway.

2 Likes

Where would he be retried? Same judge?

Muellergan.

2 Likes

What, no snarky comments from Judge Crankypants about needless delays? Is it possible that he’s been privately chastised by one of the judges in his Circuit?

3 Likes

More like Manafort Destiny…

15 Likes

If you gave me another hour I would have thought of that one on my own.

3 Likes

The answer is simple, move to an earlier time zone…

6 Likes

Why on earth would a trial judge even begin by asking the prosecution to finish making its decisions before the defendants had finished with all their motions?

I have the sense that we ought to be able to determine almost from first principles which deadline should occur first, that most trials stage their post-trial deadlines consistent with that, and that Ellis reversed the order because he’s pretty clearly rooting for Manafort and is eager to give him every advantage.

Any lawyers or judges know whether there are best-practices or widespread conventions concerning the order of post-trial deadlines?

2 Likes

The minimum sentence on the 8 counts could be 8 years, if judge snarky wants to go easy bcz Paulie shouldn’t be punished for being “rich” at club fed. But he could serve no time if President Chiclet when he smiles pardons him. So,Manadork has to keep payin’ and payin’ the lawyers if they re-try him. Where is he getting his money? He has no money and can’t be paying his bills bcz he’s paying the lawyers. He’s got money, stashed where even the feds can’t find.

2 Likes

One incentive for Mueller to have new indictments issued over the next 2 weeks is to force Team Manafort to the table to give what Mueller wants in order to get a deal. An indictment of Roger Stone could be a strategic move here, as would an indictment of other key figures.

4 Likes