Discussion: John McCain: 'I Don't Know' If Cruz Is A 'Natural Born Citizen'

Discussion for article #244378

McCain: Even an indirect implication that the guy I lost to is an American is unacceptable. Accepting Cruz will give legitimacy to the black guy. I also dont like Cruz, no one does.

10 Likes

“That’s different from being born on foreign soil so I think there is a question. I am not a Constitutional scholar on that, but I think it’s worth looking into. I don’t think it’s illegitimate to look into it,” the Arizona senator added.

John Sidney McCain III
August 29, 1936 (age 79)
Coco Solo Naval Air Station, Panama Canal Zone

The Senate has unanimously declared John McCain a natural-born citizen, eligible to be president of the United States.

That is the good news for the presumptive Republican nominee, who was born nearly 72 years ago in a military hospital in the Panama Canal Zone, then under U.S. jurisdiction. The bad news is that the nonbinding Senate resolution passed Wednesday night is simply an opinion that has little bearing on an arcane constitutional debate that has preoccupied legal scholars for many weeks.

Article II of the Constitution states that “no person except a natural born citizen . . . shall be eligible to the office of president.” The problem is that the Founding Fathers never defined exactly what they meant by “natural born citizen,” and the matter has never been fully tested in court. At least three pending cases are challenging McCain’s right to be sworn in as president.

Careful with that ax Johnny

5 Likes

McCain knows, the law regarding this situation is very simple,and straight forward. He has a grudge against Cruz and casting doubt in the voters mind is his form of revenge.

23 Likes

I see why the Republican Party isn’t interested in immigration reform. Their foreigners seem to have no problem getting public welfare with the laws as they are. Just call welfare a “Congressional salary”.

Hey, they apparently don’t have to work either.

9 Likes

If we collectively stopped talking about or linking to Ann Coulter when she says something hateful or foolish, I wonder what would happen? Would she do something legit newsworthy? Curious to find out.

No one mention “bell tower” to Ann.

2 Likes

""I am not a Constitutional “”

I guess not. But he is sworn to uphold the document so you’d think that would mutually included knowing what’s in it. I’ll bet he knows all about the part of it that authorizes him to be where he is.

John McCain parents were American citizens. They were stationed at the Canal Zone and he was born there an American because of his parents citizenship. “territory” had nothing to do with it.

John McCain is a US Senator. He does not have to be a Constitutional Scholar to know whats in it. I’m no English Literature scholar but I know whats in Romeo and Juliet. McCain is expected to know whats in the Constitution and what’s Constitutional as a US Senator. No explanation needed. And he does. His answer to the Cruz thing is a sleazy lie.

I found it odd that McCain claimed to have no knowledge of the Constitution’s citizen requirements then rattled off a bunch of it that was convenient.

9 Likes

Cage match. GOP vs Cruz. Both are doomed. Can’t wait.

5 Likes

Once again, the media has mis-quoted John McCain. What he said was that he doesn’t know if Ted Cruz was natural born.

9 Likes

I don’t think he has to be. Our Founding Fathers were very eloquent. I don’t think they got their language wrong. If they wished only folks born within the confines of USA borders to be eligible I think they would have found the words to say that. They used Natural Born which means not naturalized. No one is required to naturalize ( undergo citizenship legal hoops ) if born under the circumstances of John McCain.

The Founding Fathers, as much as they hated the King, used his English. Ask any Englishman what that phrase in the Constitution means and they’ll tell you Cruz is eligible. He is. There is no debate.

6 Likes

If Ted Cruz’s teeth were ever to catch fire he’d have a problem.

2 Likes

yeah… once pure dung fires get going, they stink & are hard to put out!

1 Like

I’m not wasting good piss on him until he is buried.

Wow! Ted Cruz sure has pissed in a lot of folks’ bowls of Wheaties.

5 Likes

Sen Senile McCrankey to Sen Rafael “Smartest Guy in the Room” Cruz:

“How you like me now, bitch?”

18 Likes

Really?? OUCH!! LOL!

1 Like

Thank you! By McCain even throwing that in there, you know he just wishes to muddy Cruz’s waters.

3 Likes

Hatched? Built? Parts from Cuba and Canada.

1 Like

It’s obvious what McCain is trying to do here, but the funny part is that not a single Cruz voter gives a damn what McCain thinks of anything. He rendered himself irrelevant to the batshit wing of the party the moment he nominated Palin and gave power to crazy.

5 Likes

Johnny Mac thought the Whore of Babble On was qualified to be Vice President. He doesn’t exactly have discerning taste or judgment.

3 Likes