Discussion: Jeb On ‘Work Longer Hours’ Comment: I Meant People Need To Work Full Time

You are assuming that JEB has more self control than Palin. Current evidence is that this may not be true.

2 Likes

dailysignal.com/2013//25/obamacare-continues-to-cut-workers-hours/

Totally stealing that.

I don’t know if this is what he was talking about originally, but I have a hard time opposing companies hiring people full time. Maybe we should change the 30 hour rule that encourages part-time work to avoid paying benefits. Personally I am sick of Walmart taking advantage of the 30 hour rule to pad its profits. We all end up paying.

3 Likes

Small business owners do not create jobs any more than DJs create records, or couch potatoes create flat screen TVs, or I created those cheap assed Wal-Mart pliers which I then broke with my bare hand. I fully expect Republicans to go on making this fundamental error because it’s crystal clear whose side they’re on. But I would hope Democrats at least stop getting it backwards before the conversation has even started, because this kind of thing is pernicious.

2 Likes

Oh, I think that’s just what he’s getting at. But he didn’t want to come right out with it yet, so he skirted the edge of the thing in a way that created the mess he’s been dealing with here.

But let’s say, for the sake of argument, that he meant what he’s now saying he meant (which wouldn’t be a surprising political point for a Republican to make). It’s pretty clear by now that he’s about as intellectually and rhetorically challenged as his brother; but as Josh noted, at least W’s rhetorical howlers were generally obvious screw-ups, while Jebya’s are usually grammatically and conceptually plausible sentences. Imagine the diplomatic possibilities if (never happening, knock wood) President Jeb!? were to make such very-clear-meaning-that-he-didn’t-actually-mean pronouncements during some delicate international episode. His best defense on this thing is an argument for keeping him far away from the presidency.

3 Likes

Yes, Bush III is right on the same page as Walker’s 999 shenanigans to not give workers even 1 day/week off, to remove any reference to a “Living Wage”, and of course his war on unions.

And I always thought a sane and compassionate way to deal with a slow economy would be to ask each worker to work 10% less rather than leave 10% unemployed.

3 Likes

Keep digging, JEB! There’s a pony down there somewhere…

2 Likes

Note: If you put your nose to the grindstone all you achieve is a flat face.

1 Like

Now now. That Etch A Sketch is the best Teleprompter he’s ever owned.

1 Like

Everybody was worried about Obama changing the nation anthem but they should be really worried about Bush III

When following a comment a politician must for days later state “I meant…” tells one how out of touch they are with reality.

2 Likes

So who exactly does he think is working part time by choice?
Oh yeah … students, those lazy sons of guns.

Let’s see him pull his other foot out of his mouth now.

Here’s his full quote:

My aspirations for the country, and I believe we can achieve it, is for 4 percent growth as far as the eye can see. Which means we have to be a lot more productive. Workforce participation has to rise from its all-time modern lows. It means that people need to work longer hours and through their productivity gain more income for their families.

I don’t see how someone says that when they mean to say that part-time workers should have the opportunity to work full-time. And is he talking about growth for growth’s sake? If people are happy with the income they provide for their families, they’re not going to work more hours and be less happy. If they’re not happy with their income they don’t need Jeb telling them to work more hours. Basically it’s a kind of lazy-shaming that asks workers to work their butts off for the fuzzy goal of national economic growth.

1 Like

Yeah, people need to work full time.

Please explain how it comes to pass that, with I suspect few if any exceptions, the corporate tycoon sonsofbitches that force people to work part time so they don’t have to provide benefits will be voting for a Republican in 2016, and have done so since they were just young aspiring corporate tycoon sonsofbitches?

That or they expect people on salary to work for 60+ hours and get paid for 40. My VP actually told me I was working too many hours, so I said, “why? has the schedule changed?” It hadn’t, so…

They expect you to work the 60 hour weeks, they just don’t like being aware of it.

JEB: "OH Crap ! what do you want to hear ?.. What ever that is - just assume that was what I meant "

1 Like

His mother knew that he was dimmer than brother George. Remember she opined that Jeb shouldn’t run saying that he would be one Bush too many. Its chokes me to have to say that George W. was smarter than anyone.

1 Like

Note that Bush never said a word about raising the wages of workers. Productivity of workers has increased 74.4% since 1973 but wages have increased only 9.2%. Taking cost of living increases into consideration, wages have actually DECREASED.

Meanwhile Corporate profits are high and CEO pay is now more than 300 times more than the average worker. They can easily afford to pay workers more!

With higher wages people will have more money to spend and boost the economy.

4 Likes

This is nothing - to a Bush. This won’t touch him a bit.

GW routinely made massively idiotic statements back in 2000.

•*“It’s important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It’s not only life of babies, but it’s life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the internet.”
•"I will have a foreign-handed foreign policy."
•"I want you to know that farmers are not going to be secondary thoughts to a Bush administration. They will be in the forethought of our thinking."
•"This is a world that is much more uncertain than the past. In the past we were certain, we were certain it was us versus the Russians in the past. We were certain, and therefore we had huge nuclear arsenals aimed at each other to keep the peace. That’s what we were certain of … You see, even though it’s an uncertain world, we’re certain of some things. We’re certain that even though the ‘evil empire’ may have passed, evil still remains. We’re certain there are people that can’t stand what America stands for … We’re certain there are madmen in this world, and there’s terror, and there’s missiles and I’m certain of this, too: I’m certain to maintain the peace, we better have a military of high morale, and I’m certain that under this administration, morale in the military is dangerously low."*

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available