Discussion: Iraqi Officials Say Militants Seize Saddam's Hometown

Discussion for article #223822

The people shitting their pants about this right now are mostly the same people that insisted invading Iraq wouldn’t destabilize it, saying we left “too soon” because 8 years of accomplishing basically nothing except creating a staunch Iranian ally wasn’t long enough. They’re also too chickenshit to actually go on record as saying we need to send troops back into Iraq. Where were these people in 2002 when their opinion mattered? Cowards.

2 Likes

Is this what might be called an Unknown Unknown? Not exactly greeted as liberators. A terrorist state and a strengthened Iran. Thank you, George Bush, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumseld

6 Likes

So this is why George Bush sent 3000 Americans to their deaths. I know their families must be ever so grateful their loved ones died to make the Middle East safe for AlQaeda.

2 Likes

Did I call it right, or did I call it right?

My timetable was a bit off, but several years ago, I posted (in several venues) my prediction. In short, I said that it didn’t matter when the U.S. left Iraq - three months, three years, three decades - the result would be the same. Within a year after we left, there would be a bloody civil war, followed by the creation of a fundamentalist Islamic state, loosely allied with Iran, and utterly hostile to U.S. interests.

It’s taking longer than I thought it would, but the trajectory is pretty clear. The fact that U.S. policy-makers from both sides of the political spectrum were blind to this is, frankly, appalling.

1 Like

Cheney’s bush chickens coming home to roost.

And Cheney and Bush and their crew are still walking around free, why?

2 Likes

Biden in 2002, discussing Saddam Hussein: “He’s a long term threat and a short term threat to our national security… “We have no choice but to eliminate the threat. This is a guy who is an extreme danger to the world.”

Biden in 2002: “Saddam must be dislodged from his weapons or dislodged from power.”

Biden in 2005: “We can call it quits and withdraw from Iraq. I think that would be a gigantic mistake. Or we can set a deadline for pulling out, which I fear will only encourage our enemies to wait us out — equally a mistake.” Applicable to Afghanistan too.

Biden in 2007, on Hussein’s WMDs: “Well, the point is, it turned out they didn’t, but everyone in the world thought he had them. The weapons inspectors said he had them. He catalogued — they catalogued them. This was not some, some Cheney, you know, pipe dream. This was, in fact, catalogued.”

Biden in 2007: “The threat [Saddam Hussein] presented was that, if Saddam was left unfettered, which I said during that period, for the next five years with sanctions lifted and billions of dollars into his coffers, then I believed he had the ability to acquire a tactical nuclear weapon — not by building it, by purchasing it. I also believed he was a threat in that he was — every single solitary U.N. resolution which he agreed to abide by, which was the equivalent of a peace agreement at the United Nations, after he got out of — after we kicked him out of Kuwait, he was violating. Now, the rules of the road either mean something or they don’t. The international community says “We’re going to enforce the sanctions we placed” or not. And what was the international community doing? The international community was weakening. They were pulling away."

I realize that Biden for the most part is as smart as a box of rocks, but he has his moments.

From the NY Times, “As the threat from Sunni militants in western Iraq escalated last month, Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki secretly asked the Obama administration to consider carrying out airstrikes against extremist staging areas, according to Iraqi and American officials.”

While I can’t say for sure, airstrikes could have delayed, or better yet, prevented militants from capturing Mosul

I’ve also read elsewhere that Al-Maliki has asked the US to provide airstrikes against ISIL.

You really gotta hand it to Duhbya and Darth Cheney (a.k.a. President Exxon-Mobil and Vice-President Halliburton). They literally screwed up everything they touched while in office. Two unfunded wars, surrendering a major city to the weather, lying us into a war, …, the list is just too long to repeat here.

2 Likes