Discussion: In Unexpected Vote, House Committee OKs Debate On Ending 'Endless' War

3 Likes

Autoplay video. Surely the way to annoy people with what should be a feel-good story.

16 Likes

Nicely done, Ms. Lee… Well played…

16 Likes

Bravo!

7 Likes

Perhaps even dyed-in-the-wool Rs are beginning to realize that giving Hair Furor carte blanche access to our armed forces is a bad idea.

11 Likes

Agreed. Auto-play videos are internet cancer.

Particularly for people who sometimes read TPM at work.

10 Likes

She is fabulous. The only one who opposed the war. She has been steadfast.

10 Likes

Shocking… Republicans who were resistant to the idea of stripping President Obama of unfettered military control are suddenly in favor of the President having to run things by Congress… I wonder why?

4 Likes

sometimes…he he he!

1 Like

Unexpected? You’re kidding, right? Had I known this was on the table, I’d have predicted this result. The GOP/Teatrolls see an opportunity to run on more fearmongering and cultural resentment via this debate. Faux News, Breitbart, Limbaugh, WND, Alex Jones, et al., will all be going nuts with stories and “opinion” pieces excoriating and demonizing anyone who supports ending the AUMF. “This is all part of the far left globalist plan to leave our country defenseless to invaders, illegals and Muslims who want to destroy our way of life” etc. etc. ETC. You know the fucking rhetoric already…I don’t have to reinvent it for you.

1 Like

Now, now, let’s not be hasty. Why should Congress now decide to listen the the ONE PERSON in the entire House of Representatives who was totally right in her stance not to authorize force? If they had listened at the time, whatever could we have done with the $4 Trillion dollars (give or take) that we wasted on that self-pleasuring exercise in nation building? Not to mention the hundreds of thousands dead, maimed, and displaced with ruined lives.

If I remember correctly, Rep. Lee was roundly condemned at the time for her unpatriotic refusal to wave the flag and eschew Freedom Fries. How dare she remind us of our mob stupidity?

5 Likes

Withdrawing from global confrontations and stopping military adventurism is a core demand from the alt-right who elected Trump. I suspect that has more to do with it than anything.

This is one of the areas where we have common ground with the alt-right.

@llamaspit @sniffit @firewing2

4 Likes

Annoying as fuck - I didn’t even read the story, just scrambled to find out where the hell all the noise was coming from. Just joined Prime (finally!) but seriously thinking about asking for a rebate. I actually avoided TPM for a while a ways back because of this issue.

3 Likes

Or people who let their teenagers use their laptop.

1 Like

Yes, what was a bit scary about this is that no one really trusts Trump, his short fingers and the nuclear button.

2 Likes

Thank you with all of my heart, Barbara Lee!

I wish we had a Congress full of Barbara Lees and John Lewises and Maxine Waters and…

8 Likes

All we are saying is give peace a chance.

Actually I am in favor of fighting terrorists but I am really in favor of Congress doing its job. I think the constitution gives the congress the obligation to specifically identify and to declare war on our enemies.

5 Likes

Agree, and my hope – before Trump was elected – was that the 65-nation coalition of allies that we assembled to combat ISIS might transition into an ongoing regional peacekeeping force and the foundation of a regional economic development and trade partnership.

2 Likes

I’d be rather inclined to say “some overlap” than “common ground”.

Still, this is a weird victory. I do not trust the GOP to have reversed itself like this for anything but nefarious reasons. My initial thought was that they gave symbolic approval - with no intention of supporting this when it counts - to something proposed by a black woman Democrat, just so they can point to this over and over to demonstrate that they can “be bipartisan.”

Of course, no reason to think it can’t be both.

2 Likes

Or it could be that Congress wants to take back its War Powers, which it gave away with this unending AUMF. It has caused consternation to both sides now, and with Trump in the White House, there might be a feeling that the time is now to take back their authority.

2 Likes