Discussion: House GOP Leaders Increase Pressure To Kill Immigration Vote Effort

Ryan and McCarthy reportedly met with President Donald Trump Tuesday to brainstorm solutions to the immigration schism within the party.

“So, we can kick them out, dehumanize them, call them criminals, and degrade their ancestry. Now, which one first?”

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see what’s in the Freedom Caucus’s “immigration bill.” Will immigrants from different countries be required to wear different symbols/stars before reporting to the detention centers?

4 Likes

5 Likes

Ryan and McCarthy reportedly met with President Donald Trump Tuesday to brainstorm…

LOL, trump can only storm, he has no brain.

6 Likes

by threatening midterm losses and a fractured party,

That’s not a threat, it’s the future.

8 Likes
Ryan and McCarthy reportedly met with President Donald Trump 
        Tuesday to brainstorm solutions

Says it all about the House leadership … right there —

4 Likes

Desperate House Republican leaders are trying to talk their moderate faction out of pushing for an immigration debate

I’m confused, I thought anybody who passed for a moderate Republican had already been voted out of office.

Ryan and McCarthy reportedly met with President Donald Trump Tuesday to brainstorm solutions

If any brainstorming was involved then there had to be some other heretofore undisclosed people at the meeting.

4 Likes

I feel like we’re in a rerun of the l920s…corrupt chief exec, pervasive nativism and racism, immigration intolerance, rejection of international cooperative arrangements, a general sense of indifference in the body politic. I hope we can arrest these trends before they lead to a Great Depression/WW2-grade calamity.

2 Likes

For decades the Republicans have cynically used immigration as a wedge issue, repeatedly ginning up their base with imagery of monsters sneaking over the border to steal their jobs while they winked at agricultural and construction interests replacing American workers with sub-minimum wage illegals. That has become a terrible strategy for them since Trump’s election because he has done all he can to keep foreign farm workers out of the country. They have been running stories down here in Florida showing tomatoes rotting in the fields because ICE has deported a lot of Central American field hands. I understand similar stories are cropping up around the country.

Nobody told Trump that the Republican plan is to jump up and down and complain while not doing anything to solve the immigration problem and nobody told the FreeDumb caucus that big Ag is in serious need of cheap labor now that ICE has been given permission to deport at will. A real wedge issue cluster.

3 Likes

Desperate House Republican leaders are trying to talk their moderate faction out of pushing for an immigration debate by threatening midterm losses and a fractured party.

1. Maintaining Republican power.
  2. Safety and security of hundreds of thousands of human beings.

Choose #1 every time.

And, in this case it has the extra bonus of screwing over “others,” which is something to look for in every policy they have and action they take.

2 Likes

OK kids…I propose to stop paying your freakin’ SALARIES until you start doing the JOBS you were sent to Washington to do. If you can’t take the ‘hard’ votes, if you can’t come up with viable compromises, if you can’t do ANYTHING except dream up ways to justify not doing anything then we, the voters, don’t want to PAY you.

3 Likes

I just read an NBC piece about how this community in Maryland that voted for Trump suddenly doesn’t have enough immigrant labor to deshell the crabmeat the boats bring in. Whole businesses are at a standstill. The administration is quietly moving to raise the number of visas needed, but in the short term the town’s dying. And they still think it’s not Trump’s fault, he just doesn’t know about the situation and would surely fix it if he did. Stupid emmereffers. All of you, you did this to yourselves. Suck it up and fix it.

7 Likes

It is wonderful to see small cracks in Trump’s solid wall of support in the house starting to appear. It will be interesting to see if the sense of impending doom at the midterms, and the noose tightening on Trumps neck, drives more defections and dissonance, especially with Ryan being a lame duck speaker.

2 Likes

They have been running stories down here in Florida showing tomatoes rotting in the fields because ICE has deported a lot of Central Americans…

It’s nice to see a price tag put on bigotry.
All these ‘enforce the laws’ people can now have first hand experience of why legality always got lip service while illegals were use to make industries run and illegality was used to depress wages.
Unfortunately, the likely solution is for locals to advocate for have yer cake and eat it, too, exceptions for ‘our illegals,’ like with the Medicaid work requirement. 'Cause, really, they only want “justice” for ‘those people.’

Can we get the same Republicans signing this petition to sign onto the one on net neutrality?