Discussion: House Fails To Override Trump's Veto Of His Border Wall Declaration

The Wall is good enough, tall enough and doggone it people like it.

2 Likes

Sorry buddy.

But it would be interesting for an enterprising MSM journalists ( I know, leprechauns and unicorns), to start tracking just how much of the money Trump starts redirecting finds it ways into his pockets. :wink:

Because if anyone believes that Trump having control over the purse strings isn’t going to end up with him wetting his beak…A LOT…hasn’t been paying attention.

6 Likes

I don’t think the statement about playing gold during a National Emergency is accurate… unless I am misunderstanding the definition of National Emergency.

We have, I think, 31 National Emergencies currently in force. A number for many many years. See below.

From Wikipedia…
As of February 2019, 59 national emergencies had been declared, with 31 of them being renewed annually. These include the eight that were declared prior to the passage of the 1976 Act.[1][4][19] The longest continuing national emergency dates back to November 1979 by the Carter administration blocking Iranian government property under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act.[20]

Since passage of the National Emergencies Act in 1976, every U.S. President has declared multiple national emergencies: Carter (2); Reagan: (6); H.W. Bush (4); Clinton (17); W. Bush (12); Obama: (13); Trump (4).

From the same article

" An activation would expire if the President expressly terminated the emergency, or did not renew the emergency annually,"

Some Presidents have renewed it once or even a few times (Carter), but there are not currently 31 national emergencies in effect. The statement you are referring means that out of the 59 declared national emergencies, 31 have been renewed beyond their year deadline…not that 31 are still in effect.

2 Likes

If this shows up in my nightmares in either Trump’s or Al Franken’s voice… we will have words!
:neutral_face:

3 Likes

This should be repeated every day from now until the election by every Dem presidential candidate, officeholder and potential challenger for a R seat.

Trump the dealmaker couldn’t cut a deal with Mexico, he couldn’t cut a deal with Congress and is now can only fund it by weakening our national security. Why does Trump hate the troops?

4 Likes

I dug a little deeper and there are still 31 national emergencies in effect. Link below. (Which shocked me when I learned of it a month or so ago)

Look, I’m not disagreeing with you that Trump is a POS for declaring an emergency and spending days playing golf. Just that the “no president has ever…” declaration was not accurate to my understanding.

1 Like

This. Exactly this.

4 Likes

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

7 Likes

OK. Symbolic vote is over. How about issuing some subpoenas?

1 Like

Don’t forget. Just like the affordable care act numerous votes by the Repubs during Obama. The House can pass legislation again and again requiring the Senate to respond. If they pass it again (questionable) then Trump will have to veto again.

Why do this? To keep this shitty shitty thing Trump has done on the forefront of awareness.

AT this point I am hoping they seize private property. That is going to set some people on fire in Texas.

1 Like

This is the GOP. I am sure there are some protections in place for wealthy landowners. Now if you happen to own a little shotgun shack you may be shit out of luck.*

*This all assumes any wall will be built beyond what is needed for a few campaign ads.

I am extremely uncomfortable that he feels so enabled and powerful at the moment. Something needs to bring him back down to earth. The bad guys are winning too much right now.

3 Likes

Unnecessary wall that won’t work and was just a placeholder to remind Trump to talk about immigration or healthcare for our citizens? Which to choose, which to choose?

1 Like

They’ve already approached the landowners. It’s known where the thing will go so it isn’t entirely like that. A number of the holdings are old old homesteads. People are already in court over the proposed taking of their land. They are neither poor nor so far as I’ve heard, particularly wealthy either. But I can guarantee you that this will cause explosions in Austin if the feds come in with an emergency declaration and just take the land.

1 Like

i thought that trump construction won the no bid contract.

You gotta roll with the punches, in this respect. Not every battle can be won and there’s always another bad week (or more) around the corner for the imbecile. Not every engagement with the enemy in WW2 was a win for the Allies. Hell, go back to everyone’s other favorite, the Civil War, and you’d almost wonder how the Union ever won at all.

If you start thinking the scumbag really does have normal-sized hands, then you should feel extremely uncomfortable.

Of course it might also be noted that expressing a bit of angst sometimes helps to relieve it a little, especially when there really isn’t much of anything else you can do about it.

Lawmakers voted 248-181 in favor of overturning his veto, mostly along party lines, but that was 38 votes shy of the number needed for the required two-thirds majority.

So, 181 of our Congress-critters either, a) think that Trump will achieve his Glorious Leader status and turn us into a dictatorship, or b) really don’t give a shit about the Constitution. Good to know.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available