Discussion: House Dems To Grill Tech Companies On White Nationalism, Hate Crimes

I’d quibble with the adjective “small” when describing a group comprised of 63,000,000 voters.

2 Likes

No participants are listed, but the Washington Post reported that Google and Facebook will testify.

Get the CEOs of Twitter and Reddit in there please.

1 Like

And People magazine. I’m tired of Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt staring at me in the grocery checkout.

In the wake of the New Zealand tragedy, President Trump denied that white nationalism was a growing problem, saying only a “small group of people that have very, very serious problems” hold these beliefs.

A small group of people that seem to kill a large number of people. A small group of people that can carry out terror campaigns against certain religions, certain races, and are very good at getting their hands on killing devices.

2 Likes

The House Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing next Tuesday on hate crimes and how social media has fueled the resurgence of white nationalism.

Why didn’t Republicans do this when it became obvious that this was a problem?

3 Likes

And the Republican members of the committee will hammer the “conservatives are being suppressed” trope.

2 Likes

It puts them in an interesting position, doesn’t it? On the one hand, they know that white supremacists are conservatives and that they vote primarily for Republicans (if reluctantly due to Repubs “weak” stance on genocide) so, they don’t want the bigs to restrain their ability to spread propaganda. On the other hand, they know that white supremacists are conservatives and that the optics of having “Trump 2020” signs next to “We hate Jewes” placards is not a great look. It should be fun to watch them attempt to thread that needle during the hearings.

2 Likes