Discussion: Historians Are Baffled By Northam Calling Slaves 'Indentured Servants'

1 Like

A dumb thing to say. Perhaps an example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. And he has not been a history professor, as far as I know. Also, he hasn’t had much time to study history in the past week. Still…

4 Likes

Wow! A semantics war is really what the country and the Dems need at this point.

2 Likes

Not sure what is baffling about a person being an idiot with a tendency for putting their foot in their mouth.

19 Likes

[Goetz] said in a phone interview that Northam’s “indentured servant” remark is “shocking in light of his current political difficulties.”

You’d think you’d be extra friggin’ careful to get things right, right? But Northam is a colossal dumbass, so maybe we should not be surprised.

8 Likes

I don’t like these daily updates to the question “how dumb can he be?”

19 Likes

How the f@#$ could he even think this?

4 Likes

Rarely is the question asked, is our governors learning?

21 Likes

Wow! A semantics war is really what the country and the Dems need at this point.

True but you can’t be calling slaves indentured servants. Not even close. Can’t let it go by.

10 Likes

It is not semantics. IIRC: An indentured servant was bound by a “contract” to serve a master for a period of time as payment for transport to the USA There were many indentured servants from Europe.

The people brought from Africa were 99.9% slaves for the rest of their lives, although some very small number were given freedom.

13 Likes

Maybe he should have his high school diploma revoked. That’s where he should have learned the difference between slavery and indentured servitude.

3 Likes

Or his College diploma. What did he learn at VMI?

Never mind…

11 Likes

As I believe I tried to point out elsewhere on the same topic, it is complicated. Under the current circumstance in particular, complicated is problematic. TV and MSM do not do complicated well, and neither do voters consumed by anger eager to find a target. There really isn’t anything he can do to make this situation better, unless he is willing to fold up his tent and go home. If he intends to stick this out, he really needs to stay out of sight as much as practical.

Edit: I will also note that scholars, also being only human and relying on other humans, are known to make mistakes.

2 Likes

Why is this kind of stupid coming from a Democrat?

4 Likes

Those thirty Africans went from being ‘privateer spoils’ to slaves and it’s interesting that a man (who most African Americans in Virginia think should stay in office) can’t get that right.

#plzcontinue

9 Likes

A historian advised me that the use of indentured was more historically accurate…

I’d be curious to know what white-supremacist, slavery-apologist, revisionist historian that was.

18 Likes

He used to be a Republic.

I wish he’d never switched.

5 Likes

State lege elections are this year.

2 Likes

I learn something every day on this site. Didn’t know that.

3 Likes