Discussion: High Steaks: Cruz Says That A Vote For O’Rourke Is A Vote To Ban Barbecue

I live in San Antonio and my neighborhood is, regrettably, reliably Republican. But this year I’ve seen more Beto yard signs than I’ve ever seen for a Democratic candidate. I’m encouraged by this. I will order my sign shortly!

1 Like

God bless her, and rest her soul

“The best [bbq] places look like they should have been closed down by the health department," said Gov. Ann Richards”

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/03/travel/real-texas-barbecue-hold-the-sauce.html

5 Likes

The Holy Grail of barbecue for me is a tri-tip done Santa Maria dry barbecue slow roasted over mesquite. High drool factor. Thankfully I live in Arizona so Cruz has no power over my barbecue.

Git 'em Beto!!

2 Likes

Which one is Ted?

1 Like

Leave Tiffany out of this. It’s Ivana whose spawn that are the children from Hell. (So far, anyway.)

1 Like

I’d also leave Barron out. And with trump being such an absentee father, perhaps Barron will have the good fortune to not turn out like his stepbrothers…

2 Likes

Didn’t Carolina already do that?

1 Like

It takes around 22 hours to cook, and it’s worth the wait.

But in Central Texas, where most of the seven Mikeska brothers had their places, and they were but the tip of the iceberg, brisket isn’t the whole package. Beef ribs are not to be sneered at, and as long as you don’t mean Elgin sausage, which is too smooth and bland, the sausage can be top notch. (Best sausage in history was sold at a bait shop in Castroville by a Mexican family, following an old Alsatian recipe—Castroville was settled by Alsatians. Very coarse grind, comprising beef, venison, and spices. Somewhat beyond superb.)

3 Likes

I don’t eat meat anymore, but Calvin Trillin’s description of Kansas City Barbeque makes me drool.

2 Likes

Silly, that was birth control

3 Likes

Yeah, I guess we can let Tiffany slide…

Eating Kansas City Barbeque makes me drool.

And yes, Texas brisket is better.

3 Likes

Poor Texas is swimming in misinformation, disinformation. The airwaves in Texas paint a ‘through-the-looking-glass’ worldview.

If you read Texan’s comments on some of the message sites it really is a world unlike the world that we all know.

1 Like

He should barbecue Eric. PETA wouldn’t object, being he is not a sentient life form.

1 Like

Bud Trillin is equally brilliant in several different genres. I love searching out regional foods around the world and it’s because of his “Tummy Trilogy.” It’s fascinating and insanely rewarding to seek out the wildly different and wildly delicious foods called “barbecue” around the country.

Cruz is not a good candidate. I suspect the polling is missing a lot of folks who normally stay at home. There is a real chance he will lose.

Is that serious? Weird.

Cool (but I may be able to beat that)!

Several years ago on vacation, in Gallup NM on old Route 66, my family and I ran across the “Fu King” Chinese restaurant (which is now, apparently, a smoke shop)! We didn’t eat (or smoke) there, so can’t give any other info. But there it was! Like you, I’ve got a photo of it somewhere, too…

Here is one in Hackensack NJ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gonna be tough to beat this one…

No wonder the locals are in an uproar…

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available