Discussion: Harvey Rolls Over Texas Coast, Smashes Homes And Businesses

Predictions for another couple days of rain, maybe not as high winds. Fingers crossed.

Problem is, its a verrrrry slow storm. And even though its gone inland, and lost some wind speed, its eye seems to still be pretty well formed.

So its going to be dumping a ton of rain and pushing storm surges up along the coast for a long time.

2 Likes

Wreckage and devastation in Houston, Corpus Christi, and Galveston and other paces in S. Texas. It’s still raining…

Mean while trump takes another weekend off.

Donald J. Trump

:heavy_check_mark:
@realDonaldTrump

Closely monitoring #HurricaneHarvey from Camp David. We are leaving nothing to chance. City, State and Federal Govs. working great together!

Unfair! He flips to The Weather Channel when Fox goes to commercials.

1 Like

The photo at the top of the article looks like The Strand in Galveston - Yaga Cafe would be to the left of the photo next to the plaza with the giant chess pieces. It has been a while since I’ve been, maybe the restaurant has changed names.

Just over a year ago I sold my house in Surfside Beach (which was evacuated on Thursday). I love the Gulf Coast but after my husband died, I just didn’t want to deal with something like this on my own. I’m watching the beach cams. I have friends who live near the Galveston bridge who stayed on the island. They are still checking in to Facebook with their cell phones but jeez, they’re giving me heart palpitations.

Yeah that’s what we are hearing as well.

It’s going to sit there for at least 3 days and dump rain.

“…Smashes homes and businesses”

Trump: “So far, so good”.

2 Likes

I never have let him get to me after the campaign when I was so deeply shaken at his sexual assaults - I figured it wasn’t worth it.

He’s just broken my heart cause he’s broken the constitution if they don’t do something.

2 Likes

Translation: “So far, no one is saying bad things about me. So, good. Somebody else will clean up the mess.”

2 Likes

Exactly.

1 Like

Trump’s proposed cuts to Fema
Donald Trump proposed a 2018 budget in May that included severe cuts to social safety net programmes – and a $667m cut in funding for Fema, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which is in charge of disaster response.
Trump’s budget stands no chance of becoming law in its current form and is in some senses an opening bid – the final federal budget for 2018 will be passed by Congress.
And $667m may be a relatively small cut to a Fema budget for 2017 of $16.2bn.
Nevertheless the programmes Trump wants to cut – such as the Pre-Disaster Mitigation Grant Program which is supposed to help states and local communities prepare for future disasters – will be missed by the states that use them.

3 Likes

Another way of thinking of that size cut to FEMA is that there will be one disaster every other year that doesn’t get any aid…

(Luckily his vision has no chance of becoming law, but plenty of other republicans have equally destructive attitudes.)

Yes, I was listening to The Texas Standard Friday night and point was made that #Harvey is not a wind event, it’s a severe rain event.

About 6:30 pm Central I was looking at radar and made this comment on FB,

if I’m seeing this right #Harvey’s pulling these huge bands of water from the Gulf, swinging then between Victoria / Houston, carrying them up past Bryan / College Station and then over to Austin and down to San Antonio. From Bryan / CS to Austin to San Antonio is almost solid yellow.

Even if #Harvey went Poof! now all that water will be surging to the Gulf over the next days / weeks. Pay attention to the flood warnings folks.

The drainage will be hampered by the surge - until the bays return to normal river water will be backing up. Weather Channel says it will be past Labor Day before rivers drop below flood stage.

There’s a reason it’s called the “Gulf Coastal Plain” - flat, flat, flat.

1 Like

And, as someone living in the panhandle of FL…we have had remarkably good weather, (though a tad more humid than normal. Lots of tropical air floating around), largely because Harvey has been sucking everything into him as he refueled over the Gulf. All that rain has to go somewhere.

1 Like