Discussion: 'Harry Potter' And Stage Star Alan Rickman Dies At 69

Discussion for article #244653

Geez no mention of his breakout role in America - Hans Gruber???

RIP Alan

First Bowie at 69 of cancer, now Alan Rickman, same age, same diease? Two complete originals in one week.

Certainly Rickman is best known for “Die Hard” and “Harry Potter,” but if you missed him in “Galaxy Quest,” you missed what I think is some of his absolute best work. These actors are so well known for their stage talent and classical skills that we often overlook how gut-splittingly funny they can be.

A true talent. He will be greatly missed.

11 Likes

By Grabthar’s Hammer, you shall be avenged!!

9 Likes

This one got me worse than David Bowie. So sad, loved him.

9 Likes

I always rather liked him as the clinically depressed robot in “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”.

9 Likes

I loved him in Sense and Sensibility and who can forget Bottleshock, with the late, great Dennis Farina? RIP Alan, you will be missed.

4 Likes

Yes, Colonel Brandon…loved him… And Metatron in Dogma.

6 Likes

Oh man…he was the BEST! RIP Alan!

1 Like

He was also one of the few with the balls to be controversial, and frequently played the bad guy with such relish that you almost liked him better than the “Hero” of the film.
His turn as the Angel “Metatron” in “Dogma” is hilariously droll.
I also loved him as the evil outback rancher in “Quigley Down Under”.

4 Likes

RIP you wonderful actor and person, I hear. And to be committed to someone for 50 years blows most heterosexual relationships away! That is what real commitment looks like. My sincere condolences to his husband, family and friends.

2 Likes

Whenever he was put in a movie, he became the best thing about that movie. Sometimes it was a good movie, like GalaxyQuest and Die Hard. Sometimes it was forgettable, like the Costner version of Robin Hood. But his scenes were always the greatest.

RIP

5 Likes

??? “Film roles included the villain Hans Gruber in “Die Hard” in 1988;”

“Film roles included the villain Hans Gruber in “Die Hard” in 1988”

From the article

You really have to respect actors that take on the role of playing someone that almost everyone will hate. Granted he was actually a good guy behind the jerk he seemed to be, but anyway, he did a great job at it. May we all be as good at what we do, as he was at what he did.

1 Like

Rima Horton is a woman and his wife.

4 Likes

Rest in peace, “Professor Snape”. My heart is broken!

Watch him in “Truely, madly, deeply” and you will love him!

2 Likes

That wasn’t in the original version of the story - there is a second, more in-depth version posted now (although no mention that it is updated…)

Oh, yes… He’s had better and more important roles, but I loved him in Galaxy Quest. Great, funny movie!

2 Likes